add media source to search results in Android TV app and detail page

justinrh

justinrh

It is really annoying that the ATV app doesn't show the media source in search results.  This can be very confusing, especially when you think you already have a title.  (The web app shows the source!)

Now, which one of these Die Hard movies is a trailer, and which one is in my local library?  Exactly - you can't tell!
image.png.741f50a8ffca968cc02acabb9b8b8403.png

Even the detail pages are not OBVIOUS:
image.png.e64146062ac4af2f80ce1d049a394650.png

image.png.db91ea0682c7834544f1b259c2cd776f.png

Now before the Emby crew tells me I'm a dunce, think twice.  You are going to make assumptions that may not match the user's experience, and you are intimately familiar with every mm of the app where you could figure out such things.  Keep in mind a user shouldn't have to do such.

Now, if there is a way to toggle on media source in the ATV app, please inform me.

justinrh

Is that sarcasm or a real question, Luke?  Are you talking about the play button on the poster image?  Right, that is too subtle, but thanks for point that out.  Now why that would even be different to begin with I don't know (another bug?).

Hmm, I also noticed the delete cmd is missing for the trailer.  Another clue...

Edited by justinrh

Related:

For your immediate issue, the CoverArt plug-in could help as it would label trailers clearly on the poster.  You could even set it up to only treat trailers if you don't want the look throughout your library.

justinrh

Thanks for the hints, ebr.

Okay, so now we have three overt reasons that this is a bad situation:

1) It is just a natural distinction to need/want in this context, one of those MVP or minimum criteria type of things.
2) The web app shows this bit of info, so that baseline output should be in the apps also, there is no cost on an app for one more small string.
3) There is a 4-year-old enhancement request for it.

This is the kind of stuff that needs to be fixed "in the next release" (a long time ago).

justinrh
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Shows what bit of info?

"It is really annoying that the ATV app doesn't show the media source in search results."

Hmm, I was thinking of this, but that actually does not show source, either.  It shows type, which is helpful.

image.png.f279efb9f771e8bd290ea2a8b18a6945.png