As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.49

The Man Who Wasn't There 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.44

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2023, 01:23 PM   #1
Expert Member

Apr 2020
Kerala, India
Sony Pictures The Garfield Movie (2024) 3D

The Garfield Movie from Sony Pictures will be releasing in RealD 3D worldwide on 24 May 2024.
Good to see Sony going back to releasing 3D films, wish they'd do the same for the 3D Blu-rays.

Last edited by RitwikKN2002; 04-22-2024 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added RealD 3D exclusive poster
Thanks given by:
Cinema9814 (11-17-2023), edmonddantes (03-04-2024), Jlardonio (04-26-2024), NVllyRnnr (11-14-2023), panman40 (11-13-2023), xenago (11-16-2023), xootoo (11-13-2023), Zivouhr (11-14-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
Expert Member

Mar 2019

Great that this will get a 3D version. Did absolutely not expect that! Maybe an effect of the upcoming Apple Vision Pro?!

Here is hope that this will get a 3D Blu-ray by Turbine Germany, after Random Space Media got animated Hotel Transylvania 3 and blockbusters like Jumanji: The Next Level and Spider-Man: No Way Home licenced by Sony.
Thanks given by:
Doc Moonlight (11-13-2023), Jlardonio (04-26-2024), panman40 (11-13-2023), RitwikKN2002 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 05:25 PM   #3

Sep 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by xootoo View Post
Great that this will get a 3D version. Did absolutely not expect that! Maybe an effect of the upcoming Apple Vision Pro?!

Here is hope that this will get a 3D Blu-ray by Turbine Germany, after Random Space Media got animated Hotel Transylvania 3 and blockbusters like Jumanji: The Next Level and Spider-Man: No Way Home licenced by Sony.

Yes friend, let's see if the next one is coming soon and I hope they do the same with the 3D blu-rays Like: (Disney.Paramount.Sony.Universal) A few companies, I hope all 3D movies do it (Turbine Germany) Please They are doing it by 2024 on (TMNT: Mutant Mayhem Blu-ray 3D) which hasn't been done for a long time, well, but some have done it on purpose.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:12 PM   #4

Apr 2017

So Sony hasn't completely abandoned 3D (after the shit they did in not converting Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse), maybe converting Venom 3 is in the plans. I will definitely see this film in the cinema.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:59 AM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Okay, the 3D definitely helps this movie IMO, as I'm on the fence with the style that doesn't quite match the look of Jim Davis' classic Garfield animated series and comics, nevermind the voice of Lorenzo Music being tough to top. Chris Pratt has a good voice, but for Garfield, I'm not seeing the character I grew up with. Are they trying to reboot the Garfield character? Jim Davis is said to be a part of this production in some way, the creator.

If this is Sony Animation, they have the potential for some strong 3D. Smurfs 2's medium to strong 3D was a total surprise after the mostly mild 3D of Smurfs 1 and medium layers of 3D in Smurfs Lost Village. Sony Animation created Open Season 1 3D. That was strong 3D throughout and amazing for 3D.

I'm a lifelong Garfield fan, so I'll give this a try in theaters now that I see it'll be in 3D. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsantosortega View Post
So Sony hasn't completely abandoned 3D (after the shit they did in not converting Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse), maybe converting Venom 3 is in the plans. I will definitely see this film in the cinema.
Yeah, and Sony was once a leader of 3D with their "3D Worlds" marketing. Sony is very fickle with their products. If it's not selling through the roof, they quietly move on. Still no blu ray 3D support for PSVR2, which I haven't tried yet. Still have my PSVR1 with blu ray 3D playback, PS3 and PS4 blu ray 3D playback too.
Here's hoping Venom 3 is in 3D too like the last 2, both with good 3D (medium to some strong 3D range, but only Venom 1 on blu ray 3D import).
Thanks given by:
Jlardonio (04-26-2024), Just_Discovered_3D (11-14-2023), RitwikKN2002 (11-14-2023), xenago (11-16-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 06:34 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Okay, the 3D definitely helps this movie IMO, as I'm on the fence with the style that doesn't quite match the look of Jim Davis' classic Garfield animated series and comics, nevermind the voice of Lorenzo Music being tough to top. Chris Pratt has a good voice, but for Garfield, I'm not seeing the character I grew up with. Are they trying to reboot the Garfield character? Jim Davis is said to be a part of this production in some way, the creator.

If this is Sony Animation, they have the potential for some strong 3D. Smurfs 2's medium to strong 3D was a total surprise after the mostly mild 3D of Smurfs 1 and medium layers of 3D in Smurfs Lost Village. Sony Animation created Open Season 1 3D. That was strong 3D throughout and amazing for 3D.

I'm a lifelong Garfield fan, so I'll give this a try in theaters now that I see it'll be in 3D. Thanks.

Yeah, and Sony was once a leader of 3D with their "3D Worlds" marketing. Sony is very fickle with their products. If it's not selling through the roof, they quietly move on. Still no blu ray 3D support for PSVR2, which I haven't tried yet. Still have my PSVR1 with blu ray 3D playback, PS3 and PS4 blu ray 3D playback too.
Here's hoping Venom 3 is in 3D too like the last 2, both with good 3D (medium to some strong 3D range, but only Venom 1 on blu ray 3D import).
Sounds like I should have exhumed Smurfs 2 from the bargain bin then.

Chris Pratt was the reason I saw the Mario film, and IMO the whole cast of that didn't sound bad though it wasn't true to the characters' expected voices, but while I enjoy the fun Pratt brings to the roles, making him the new voice of iconic animated characters isn't ideal for me.

Sadly, Sony almost treats any tech that underperforms as though it doesn't exist. PSVR2 can't play PSVR1 games, too many games on PSVR1 aren't patched for the PS4 Pro or the PS5, I'd say PSVR1 looks like watching a DVD but that might be an insult to DVD?

But yes, here's hoping Garfield brings the strong 3D that the last Puss in Boots didn't.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 08:35 PM   #7
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Discovered_3D View Post

Chris Pratt was the reason I saw the Mario film, and IMO the whole cast of that didn't sound bad though it wasn't true to the characters' expected voices, but while I enjoy the fun Pratt brings to the roles, making him the new voice of iconic animated characters isn't ideal for me.

Sadly, Sony almost treats any tech that underperforms as though it doesn't exist. PSVR2 can't play PSVR1 games, too many games on PSVR1 aren't patched for the PS4 Pro or the PS5, I'd say PSVR1 looks like watching a DVD but that might be an insult to DVD?

But yes, here's hoping Garfield brings the strong 3D that the last Puss in Boots didn't.
Thanks. I didn't get a good chance to see Puss 'n Boots 2 3D.
Yes, Sony is an all or nothing corporation most times. They'll cut it off completely if it's not a big part of their line up, rather than continue to support the audience that already exists for it with limited quantity releases at least, or print on demand would be cool for blu ray 3Ds.

Yes, Smurfs 2, not only was the 2nd movie better to my surprise, but the 3D totally worth checking out. I couldn't believe it. I got it new for a very low price after seeing a clip that looked good. The stork flying scene is great in 3D too.

It's weird why they don't access the many talented voice actors out there to match the classic voice of Garfield that millions grew up with or recognize. But they want the big name in the credits, that's why they keep going with Pratt or a big star. The movie Delgo, which earned less than a million dollars in theaters, proves that big stars for the voice roles in a CGI film won't pull in the audience.

I'll try to keep an open mind for this film, and hopefully it's fun and the 3D medium to strong. No mild conversion 3D.
Thanks given by:
Jlardonio (04-26-2024), xenago (11-16-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 01:05 AM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Discovered_3D View Post

I still have flashbacks to how the PS Vita was done dirty.
Even with Persona 4 Golden, Sony still treated it with contempt outside of Japan.
After its fate was all but sealed, the only games that were coming out were either weeb games or indie games.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:19 PM   #9
Expert Member

Apr 2020
Kerala, India

New trailer out with more emphasis on the story, might as well skip it if you wanna go into this blind (not to mention it's a bit of a messily cut trailer), but it looks fun. And it's also releasing in 3D, which makes it all the more better (until you remember you will never get it on 3D Blu-ray), on 24 May 2024.

Thanks given by:
Doc Moonlight (03-05-2024), Jlardonio (04-26-2024), NVllyRnnr (03-04-2024), osmos512 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:49 PM   #10
Special Member

Jun 2020
Bogotá, Colombia

Ive got a crazy orange cat so I simply have to watch this
Thanks given by:
heavyharmonies (03-04-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 12:56 AM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Directed by Mark Dindal
Screenplay by

Paul A. Kaplan
Mark Torgove
David Reynolds

Based on Garfield
by Jim Davis
Produced by

John Cohen
Broderick Johnson
Andrew Kosove
Steven P. Wegner
Craig Sost
Namit Malhotra

Starring

Chris Pratt
Samuel L. Jackson
Hannah Waddingham
Ving Rhames
Nicholas Hoult
Cecily Strong
Harvey Guillén
Brett Goldstein
Bowen Yang

Music by John Debney
Production
companies

Columbia Pictures
Alcon Entertainment
Prime Focus
DNEG Animation
One Cool Group Limited
Wayfarer Studios

Distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing
Release date

May 24, 2024

Country United States
Language English
Sony Animation team? No, actually The Garfield Movie 2024 was made by Alcon Animation and DNEG Animation (SDFX, formerly Stereo D). So not the team that made Smurfs 1, 2 or Lost Village surprisingly. Sony is distributing the film though through Columbia Pictures.

That could likely mean Stereo D/DNEG/SDFX will be handling the 3D conversion or native 3D. That could be interesting as Stereo D are masters of 3D conversions, and one of the longest lasting conversion teams since 2010.

I'd consider this for the 3D. The film looks like a good adventure film,although as a big Garfield fan, this isn't the Garfield I grew up with. Even the style is different and not accurate to Jim Davis' classic style surprisingly.

The best way I can view this is that Garfield is still a kitten, and kittens have a ton more energy at that younger age, compared to Garfield who is lazy and barely moves out of his bed unless there is Lasagna in the fridge.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:20 PM   #12
Expert Member

Apr 2020
Kerala, India

RealD 3D exclusive poster:

Releasing in 3D in the US on 24 May 2024. Here in India it'll be releasing one week early (17 May) so very much looking forward to catching this in 3D at the cinemas, hoping it's a strong 3D presentation and a triumphant return to 3D from Sony.
Thanks given by:
Darryl2727 (Today), Jlardonio (04-26-2024), Zivouhr (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:07 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Sony Animation team? No, actually The Garfield Movie 2024 was made by Alcon Animation and DNEG Animation (SDFX, formerly Stereo D). So not the team that made Smurfs 1, 2 or Lost Village surprisingly. Sony is distributing the film though through Columbia Pictures.

That could likely mean Stereo D/DNEG/SDFX will be handling the 3D conversion or native 3D. That could be interesting as Stereo D are masters of 3D conversions, and one of the longest lasting conversion teams since 2010.
Actually, DNEG and SDFX Studios are separate and the two major competing conversion houses for Hollywood films. DNEG is formerly Prime Focus, and SDFX is formerly Stereo D.

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 04-22-2024 at 07:49 PM.
Thanks given by:
Darryl2727 (Today), Zivouhr (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:39 PM   #14
Special Member

Jul 2009

As expected, hardly any 3D showings of this.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:41 PM   #15
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2011
USA

If it's in 3D, I'll probably check it out in theaters if available when the time rolls around. If 2D only, I'll wait for it on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Actually, DNEG and SDFX Studios are separate and the two major competing conversion houses for Hollywood films. DNEG is formerly Prime Focus, and SDFX is formerly Stereo D.
Thanks. You're right. They keep changing their names, Prime Focus, Prime Focus World, DNeg, then back to Prime Focus sometimes. Prime Focus adding the D in there making it slightly confusing with Stereo D's SDFX vs DNeg. Prime Focus was a much better name IMO.

Stereo D now SDFX. I guess short for Stereo D Effects. I understand that, since they wanted to make it clear they do a lot more than 3D conversions for Stereo 3D.
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (04-23-2024), Just_Discovered_3D (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #16
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2011
USA

Garfield mentions Olive Garden. I can see that, as Olive Garden has Lasagna on the menu. In contrast, if he said the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster, they don't serve Lasagna if I remember, but lots of fish selections for cats.

With Chris Pratt's voice sounding like Chris Pratt, I think the producers probably instructed him to just use his own voice for recognition, rather than switching it up with different sounding voices is my guess. Bill Murray did a decent job trying to sound like a lazy cat in his live-action CGI Garfield films.

Super Mario Bros, I was not thrilled they picked Pratt, but shortly into the film in theaters, I forgot it was him speaking and it turned out good IMO. Just needs a blu ray 3D by some miracle as part of some bonus set edition or Nintendo anniversary or something.
Thanks given by:
Hass (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 06:10 PM   #17

Dec 2020

Looks like this is going to be Conversion instead of Digital 3D.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:07 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
As expected, hardly any 3D showings of this.
correct, and if by release week there's no request for at least 1 show time by the studio most places won't be doing a 3D show either.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:30 PM   #19

Jun 2013

Just asked Odeon in the UK, and no 3D version for them, sadly. A shame, as they have shown Migration and Kung Fu Panda 4 in 3D, both of which made up for the (ahem) lack of story
Thanks given by:
Darryl2727 (Today), Jlardonio (05-10-2024)
Old Today, 04:56 PM   #20

Sep 2017
London, UK

Actually some Odeons in the UK *are* showing this in 3D. There are previews this weekend and my local Odeon has a 3D showing at 11am on both days. I won't be able to make either. I've lost faith in Odeon to project 3D properly (at least my local one), unless it's IMAX. I saw both Migration and Kung Fu Panda 4 in 3D there and the projection was just off; I couldn't quite put my finger on what the issue was but it was like the left and right eye weren't quite in sync, with the result that still or slow-moving scenes looked OK but whenever there was any quick motion it became eye-strain inducing. The same happened with Wish (at a different Odeon) and Scream VI (at the same Odeon). Also Minions: Rise of Gru (but that was a Cineworld). I really don't know what the issue is, but it seems to happen quite a bit nowadays to the point that I'm nervous every time I book to see a 3D film unless it's IMAX. It's not just me as the issue was so bad in Wish that my girlfriend almost left the screening because it was making her feel unwell.

Anyway, Odeon *are* showing this in 3D in the UK but the 3D screenings are few and far between and they'll probably muck up the projection anyway ...
Thanks given by:
Darryl2727 (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3d animation, 3d film, chris pratt, sony pictures, the garfield movie