Options

Ferguson FPVR1T - the review - the bee's knees for single tuner PVRs!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Just so you know, Accessdevices confirmed to me today, by email, that the first OTA for this unit will be taking place week beginning 22 May 2006, subject to confirmation by dtg. I am being advised of the improvements/ fixes next week... so watch this space :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Nirm wrote:
    Just so you know, Accessdevices confirmed to me today, by email, that the first OTA for this unit will be taking place week beginning 22 May 2006, subject to confirmation by dtg. I am being advised of the improvements/ fixes next week... so watch this space :cool:

Nirm, thanks for that, I suppose you know that the Digifusion 90/95 is basically the same box (without the TUTV), and I'm guessing, but I think there may be more users of that box, so it'd be good (and you'd get much more feedback) if you could also post any info you have on the Digifusion board too!!!

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Nirm wrote:
    Just so you know, Accessdevices confirmed to me today, by email, that the first OTA for this unit will be taking place week beginning 22 May 2006

That's great news. Thanks Nirm.

Lookiong forward to seeing what will be addressed in the update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    reverend wrote:
    That's great news. Thanks Nirm.

Lookiong forward to seeing what will be addressed in the update.
    Better late than never, here is the information (direct from AccessDevices) on the forthcoming update for the FPVR1T... some of it very interesting indeed!

Subject: pvr-1: major new features

Major New Features

* Transport functionality
    - Continuous record buffer (2 hours)
    - Skip function
    - Slow-motion function
    - Cleaner transitions (faster with no macroblocking)
    - Faster lip-sync recovery

* Filesystem
    - Occasional crash whilst deleting a recorded programme fixed
    - 160 GB HDD (LBA-48) support
    - Hard disk quiet mode supported
    - Ruggedised to handle partially damaged drives (bad sectors etc)

* EPG
    - Faster guide information population
    - Holds full guide in memory (does not need to repopulate)

* Recording scheduler
    - Increased number of recording slots (32)

* Recorded Programme Screen
    - List recorded programmes by name, genre or date
    - Delete multiple programmes in one go

* General
    - Record and playback subtitles

Official OTA date still TBA, however should be in May... 2006!

Fingers crossed :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nirm wrote:
    Better late than never, here is the information (direct from AccessDevices) on the forthcoming update for the FPVR1T... some of it very interesting indeed!

Subject: pvr-1: major new features...

Official OTA date still TBA, however should be in May... 2006!

Fingers crossed :cool:
    An odd bit of news, though, is ... for your information the over the air download is for non top up TV boxes only, so not sure how this affects you and whether it is useful or not.

Why...:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone,

Just joined up and thought I’d share what I know about this box.

Taking a look at the manufacturer’s website I couldn’t help but notice that the operating system running inside is VxWorks. I don’t know how many of you know what this is, but it just happens that I’ve been using it at work for many years. It is a real time operating system with a highly configurable kernel. In my opinion it is ideal for this kind of box, far better than Linux.

In particular there are some interesting possibilities WRT the hard disk that may be worth investigating. Nothing I build has mass storage, so things may have moved on a bit. I can look up the latest in my manuals and the following is all from memory.

VxWorks has three different file systems: raw, RTF11 (or something like that), and FAT. I hear that someone did implement OS/2’s hpfs for VxWorks, but that’s not included with the OS.

Raw is basically just that, the disk is treated very simply. RTF11 is a basic file system that is seldom used – I’ve never used it, hence I’m vague on the name. FAT is most interesting, it is essentially a PC style FAT file system. There are optional extensions to VxWorks’s FAT fs that render it incompatible with a PC, and it’s not necessarily formatted with a partition table either. There are various issues such as long filenames, large disk sizes, etc. that can, depending on exactly how the software is written, be PC incompatible.

There’ve been references to the unit reformatting its hard disk. There’s not really such thing as formatting the raw fs (unless they’ve implemented their own mini fs on top of raw), and I doubt that they’ve used the RTF11 one, so I’m fairly convinced they’ve used FAT.

Some brave soul might wish to yank out their hard disk and put it in a PC. Another option could be to put a PC formatted hard disk in (very simply formatted – just one primary partition) – you can write VxWorks programs to automatically account for the existence of a partition table. So with a big pinch of luck, the hard disk could be readable in a PC. Of course I accept no responsibility if things go wrong, etc. etc. None the less it would be very interesting to see what it puts on the hard disk.

If they’ve gone and built the shell and loader in to the kernel and there’s a handy serial port somewhere, it becomes possible to do some weird things. VxWorks is a load time linker – object code is linked when loaded, not at compile time. Basically, you can replace software modules with new ones more or less on the fly, and off you go. Sadly I doubt that they have built these things into the kernel. One of the attractions of VxWorks is that you can very easily (it’s point and click easy) leave out parts of the kernel that you don’t need to save on memory and cost. You can shrink the basic multitasking, premptive real time kernel down to about 50kbytes if you wish. Try doing that with Linux!

Big drawback for the hobbyist – the VxWorks development tools are PRICEY!

Cheers,

msbbarratt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    msbbarratt wrote:

Some brave soul might wish to yank out their hard disk and put it in a PC.

thanks for the in-depth info on that. Just to let everyone know I have put the drive in a PC. Windows XP couldn't see the disk, and neither could either of the two tools available for reading the Fusion devices.

Hopefully there is scope for development on this front though.

NOTE: Bit concerned that the update is not for the top-up-tv version of the device. Can that be confirmed?

rev
  • Options
    TrumpyTrumpy Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    John Mac wrote:
    I have had frequent loss of interactive functions and Teletext, a pull of the plug restores full function.

Hopefully an update will cure this too.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Jack.

I don't seem to have interactive available at the moment.

Will try the switch off and restart tonight.

Anyone else had any ideas?
  • Options
    TrumpyTrumpy Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Hooray!

Interactive services are working again.
  • Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've experienced the same problem where you can't get interactive text until reset by pulling plug. I can't say how frequently it occurs as I don't use text that often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did anyone hear any more on the promised update, like whether or not it will patch the Top-Up TV version of the box?

thanks

rev
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    This is a brilliant piece of kit, but I'm missing two channels. UKTV History (12) has the usual, correct programme description but just a blue screen and no sound when I change to it. More4+1 (31) has the picture but no sound. I don't mind losing this channel much as it's tedious, sententious, lefty drivel, but UKTV History is one of my favourites. I've missed loads of Adam Hart-Davis this week :cry:

Anyone here had this or similar problems with the box ? A solution would be hugely appreciated as otherwise this is a great machine for the reasons other contributors have said, and I'm looking forward to the update which should make it even better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srk1979 wrote:
    A solution would be hugely appreciated

I assume you have tried turning it off at the wall?
    Have you tried a rescan of all channels?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys,

Having checked http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl
    our fpvr1t is NOT covered by this update, disappointing news indeed.

Trevor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Firespire wrote:
    I assume you have tried turning it off at the wall?
    Have you tried a rescan of all channels?

I had done this several times without success, but I reset it once more so I could reply that this definitely didn't bring the channels back; but it did this time ! Must be the magic of Digital Spy, thanks.

Ditto the disappointment about the upgrade. Fingers crossed our model will get it soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    If you can take out the hard disk and get a small sector dump of the FPVRT1T please can you contact me by private msg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a dodgy channel with no picture, I first deleted the channel and then scaned to find new channels and it reapeared with picture don't know if this works every time as I have only had the problem once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Well, I've had one of these for a month now and I'm mightly impressed. Also have Sky (long story why I didn't get Sky+) so really only use it for recording from standby rather than watching it. I've only had it fall over once, which is a better record that my egg-cooking Amstrad sky box which resets on a regular basis. The only issue I have is the 8 timer recording spaces, so hopefully this will be resolved soon with an update.

Would recommend without hesitation and it's so easy to use I'm going to buy my mother one for her 50th birthday so that she'll never miss Corrie and Eastenders again!

Only one query though. When recording via the epg (ie program selected in advance then unit put in standby) I get no sound while watching it record. If I play the recording back it has sound and if I watch it without recording it has sound, but no sound while recording. Is this the same for everyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    No you should get sound, I certainly do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I was experincing the problem where sometimes the TUTV channels weren't decrypting. Here's a quote from a very courteous and swift response from Access Devices:-

"We hope to have an over air download update available in July.
    We are aware of the unit sometimes having trouble decrypting the Top Up TV channels and expect that the new update in July should remedy this problem. It should not have an affect on the box if you have to power cycle occasionally in order to view your Top Up TV channels."

So, possibly July then folks.

Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rios wrote:
    ... I get no sound while watching it record. If I play the recording back it has sound and if I watch it without recording it has sound, but no sound while recording...

I think this is because the machine is in standby. When recording in standby, it will show you the picture, but no sound. All you need to do to get sound is turn the box on. You will then see a message along the lines of, "recording xyz. OK?". Just OK that and you can watch and hear the program that you are recording.

So a possible update in July. Bit disappointed that we are not getting it as early as once though, but on the plus side I guess we can hope that they are spending the time making sure that the code is flawless and that the update is properly tested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I have file extractor that is designed for Fusion95 that might work on FPVR1T but I need somebody to test it for me. Private msg me please!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    reverend wrote:
    I think this is because the machine is in standby. When recording in standby, it will show you the picture, but no sound. All you need to do to get sound is turn the box on. You will then see a message along the lines of, "recording xyz. OK?". Just OK that and you can watch and hear the program that you are recording.

Thanks Reverend, that was spot on. Glad I hadn't taken it back and made a fool of myself! :D
  • Options
    holsy1982holsy1982 Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the non TUTV box was upgraded and whether it lived up to expectations.
  • Options
    vincebenvinceben Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I went away for a few days last week and that is when the 8 event limit really caused a problem.

Does anyone have anymore info on the upgrade?