All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problems on Turbografx 16 cd with daemon tools

JCGamer

Okay here full load down of everything I follow and readed this topic http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/10838-good-working-config-for-pc-enginetg-16-cd-using-magic-engine/
as guideline on unmout & mount for my game ex but its seem that game ex not reconizging the mount or unmount
here the picture
win3_zps121714de.png

everytime I load MagicEngine 1.1.3 I hit start button gvivng me an *no disc error*screen I dont know what Im doing wrong.

here my game.ini please can anyone can show me a proper setup so I can play all kind of turbo cd games for the front end :( I dont know if I did right or I did wrong :(
GameEx.ini

ALSO I dont know how to make the MagicEngine Front end screen to go away when I hit *ESC* maybe anyone can help me fix the problem as well here the pce.ini for it too
pce.ini

please explain it to me gently or show me a better settup for MagicEngine for my game ex to play cd roms. I could never figure this out and problem with deamon tool mounting & unmouting. Please explain to me what its have to be done so it can be mounted the right way. Im no expert please help me understand little by little

Hi JCGamer,

I'm still taking a look at your settings, but the first thing you should know is that this is not a valid internal command in GameEx for mounting the virtual drive:

emu_9_command=pce.exe -cd:[VIRTUALDRIVE-SCSI]

[-VIRTUALDRIVE-] and [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\ are the only valid virtual drive commands in GameEx that I’m aware of. You’ll notice that you can’t specify a SCSI drive with either of those. If you need to use a virtual SCSI drive you’ll want to go old school and revert to Launch Before parameters used in conjunction with Launch After.

I’d take a closer look at this post and duplicate the contents there to the closest possible extent.

Good luck man.

Hi JCGamer,

I'm still taking a look at your settings, but the first thing you should know is that this is not a valid internal command in GameEx for mounting the virtual drive:

[-VIRTUALDRIVE-] and [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\ are the only valid virtual drive commands in GameEx that I’m aware of. You’ll notice that you can’t specify a SCSI drive with either of those. If you need to use a virtual SCSI drive you’ll want to go old school and revert to Launch Before parameters used in conjunction with Launch After.

I’d take a closer look at this post and duplicate the contents there to the closest possible extent.

Good luck man.

I bit confuse but what your tell me is that you want me go to my command and add

*pce.exe -cd:[VIRTUALDRIVE-SCSI]* and see that work ?. but if this dont work you dont mind twlling me another method just play good working turbo grafx 16 cd. I love to hear your adive what you recommed me that will work for my best intress. I just want play game like Castleviana blood rondo and Y's book i & II and other great classic

No, what I’m saying is that I pulled that line directly from the config you posted, and it won’t work under any circumstances:

emu_9_version=1.1.3

emu_9_emulator=MagicEngine

emu_9_category=Console

emu_9_system=NEC TurboGrafx CD

emu_9_enabled=True

emu_9_command=pce.exe -cd:[VIRTUALDRIVE-SCSI]

emu_9_romfilter=*.cue

emu_9_database=[Console] NEC TurboGrafx CD

emu_9_configfile=[Mapping Off] Exit (ESC)

emu_9_mapfile=

If that doesn’t match what you’re settings actually are, please export your emulator config, and I’ll take another look.

In the mean time, please refer to the linked post and attempt to duplicate those settings as closely as possible.

So just to verify - you've installed DaemonTools Lite correct?

No, what I’m saying is that I pulled that line directly from the config you posted, and it won’t work under any circumstances:

If that doesn’t match what you’re settings actually are, please export your emulator config, and I’ll take another look.

In the mean time, please refer to the linked post and attempt to duplicate those settings as closely as possible.

So just to verify - you've installed DaemonTools Lite correct?

yeah I did install Deamon tools and located on My C drive and I did post my pce.ini for emulater config and game.ini top my first post but I do it agian here you go pce.ini

So just a couple of things then.

1. First you’ll want to verify that that MagicEngine is working outside of GameEx from a disc image mounted on your virtual drive. If you can test this via the command line (rather than the GUI), that would be ideal.
  2. After you’ve got everything working outside of GameEx you’ll want to fix your GameEx settings. Currently your GameEx settings are wrong and will not work for mounting disc images in DaemonTools. Please refer to this post in order to correct your GameEx settings.

Bing bang boom. Done. I’m afraid I can’t speak too much to much about the internal configuration of MagicEngine, as I use Mednaen. And even then it’s been a while since I configured Mednafen. :)

So just a couple of things then.

1. First you’ll want to verify that that MagicEngine is working outside of GameEx from a disc image mounted on your virtual drive. If you can test this via the command line (rather than the GUI), that would be ideal.

2. After you’ve got everything working outside of GameEx you’ll want to fix your GameEx settings. Currently your GameEx settings are wrong and will not work for mounting disc images in DaemonTools. Please refer to this post in order to correct your GameEx settings.

Bing bang boom. Done. I’m afraid I can’t speak too much to much about the internal configuration of MagicEngine, as I use Mednaen. And even then it’s been a while since I configured Mednafen. :)

After long trial and error I stil cant get the darn thing show up oe run on game ex PLEASE Null I think I have better fighting chance with this so called Mednafen do you have full setup and guide for that BE simple for my brain to understand. if this Mednafen is gonna be one for me. Please jedia master teach me the way of Gaming force cuase I did everthinh in power get this thing to work with daemon toll and magic enigne AND still not working in my favor :(

also does Mednafen support gaming controll function ? I have playstation 2 controller with usb adpater

After long trial and error I stil cant get the darn thing show up oe run on game ex PLEASE Null I think I have better fighting chance with this so called Mednafen do you have full setup and guide for that BE simple for my brain to understand. if this Mednafen is gonna be one for me. Please jedia master teach me the way of Gaming force cuase I did everthinh in power get this thing to work with daemon toll and magic enigne AND still not working in my favor :(

The only thing I worry about with Mednafen is that it might just compound you’re issue. Mednafen isn’t exactly known for being very user friendly. It’s a command line only emulator. It has no GUI. (Apparently it does have some third party GUI tools, but I’ve never used them). So I’m extremely hesitant to recommend Mednafen since it’s very dependent upon how comfortable you feel running emulators from the command line.

also does Mednafen support gaming controll function ? I have playstation 2 controller with usb adpater

If your controller is recognized by Windows then you can use it within Mednafen, although there again it’s not exactly the most user friendly process. You hit a function key, and onscreen prompts walk you through each configurable button. If you screw up one button you can't go back; you have to reconfigure every button all over again.

TBH my recommendation would be to just stick with MagicEngine. In this case I think it’s better to deal with the problem you know about than the one you don’t. Just my 2p.

Have you got it running outside of GameEx yet? What’s your GameEx config looking like at this point? (or if you want to be a super cool guy you can post your emulator config for only this emulator using the setup wizard. Follow Step 1 right here, )

The only thing I worry about with Mednafen is that it might just compound you’re issue. Mednafen isn’t exactly known for being very user friendly. It’s a command line only emulator. It has no GUI. (Apparently it does have some third party GUI tools, but I’ve never used them). So I’m extremely hesitant to recommend Mednafen since it’s very dependent upon how comfortable you feel running emulators from the command line.

If your controller is recognized by Windows then you can use it within Mednafen, although there again it’s not exactly the most user friendly process. You hit a function key, and onscreen prompts walk you through each configurable button. If you screw up one button you can't go back; you have to reconfigure every button all over again.

TBH my recommendation would be to just stick with MagicEngine. In this case I think it’s better to deal with the problem you know about than the one you don’t. Just my 2p.

Have you got it running outside of GameEx yet? What’s your GameEx config looking like at this point? (or if you want to be a super cool guy you can post your emulator config for only this emulator using the setup wizard. Follow Step 1 right here, )

yes when I run the Magic Engine with daemon tool its does play but for some ODD reason GameEX wont reconige the LaunchAfter=

LaunchBefore=

funny thing is that I got the deamon tool setup and everything Im not sure why there in red know its there.. I keep trying and trying unit I find the problem I dont really know WHY god name I have problem woth the mounting and unmounting for game ex in general :(

The good news is that is you’ve got it running outside of GameEx with DaemonTools, that’s already one huge step out of the way. So um … those Launch Before and Launch After parameters are empty right now? We gotta whip those suckers into shape!

So try this:

Command=pce.exe -cd:D
LaunchBefore="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"
LaunchAfter="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount scsi, 0

Command: Verify that the -cd: parameter points at the letter of your DaemonTools drive

LaunchBefore: Verify that the DaemonTools executable path matches the executable path for your DaemonTools installation. Verify that you’re running a virtual SCSI drive in DaemonTools (when you install DaemonTools, the default drive type is a virtual DT drive. That’s not what you want here. If you don't have a virtual SCSI, you'll want to add a SCSI drive through DaemonTools)

LaunchAfter: Same verifications as the LaunchBefore

Good luck man

The good news is that is you’ve got it running outside of GameEx with DaemonTools, that’s already one huge step out of the way. So um … those Launch Before and Launch After parameters are empty right now? We gotta whip those suckers into shape!

So try this:

Command: Verify that the -cd: parameter points at the letter of your DaemonTools drive

LaunchBefore: Verify that the DaemonTools executable path matches the executable path for your DaemonTools installation. Verify that you’re running a virtual SCSI drive in DaemonTools (when you install DaemonTools, the default drive type is a virtual DT drive. That’s not what you want here. If you don't have a virtual SCSI, you'll want to add a SCSI drive through DaemonTools)

LaunchAfter: Same verifications as the LaunchBefore

Good luck man

I have done all that with Launch Before & Launch After and still wont see it

Launch Before: "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"" does not exist.

Launch After: "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount scsi, 0" does not exist.

agian look at my game exe .ini did EVERYTHING IN human possible and the darn thing wont mount

:( *jc crying* i did all that and still its wont mount to anything

here look at my game.ini and you can see for your self I did everything.

GameEx.ini

and everything your telling me I did excat and STILL no luck

First thing to try: Change “[RomPath]\[RomFile]” to “[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]”. Not sure it will make a difference, but normally those parameters are in all caps.

Next thing to try: have you tried mounting an image directly from the command line using the DaemonTools command? (nevermind Gameex for the moment). If you’re testing from the command line you’ll need to replace the [ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE] parameter with the actual path to one of your disc images (i.e. “C:\MyRoms\TG16CD\MyGame.cue”). Does that work? If that command doesn’t work directly from the command line there’s either a problem with your DT executable path, a problem with your ROM path, or a problem with your DaemonTools drive (like maybe it’s not finding a SCSI drive).

If you can get the mounting command working directly from the command line, then you’ll also want to verify that the unmount command works directly from the command line.

Let’s try and focus on the component pieces here before we get back to talking about GameEx.

Those "does not exist" daemon tools lines in the setup wizard is normal in my experience. GameEx does see those lines and will launch before/launch after.

As for magic engine, I had similar issues mounting cd games as well, so switched to using mednafen.

• Like 1

Those "does not exist" daemon tools lines in the setup wizard is normal in my experience. GameEx does see those lines and will launch before/launch after.

Oh snap! I thought he was referring to an error message in the command window! It didn't even occur to me that he was referring to the Verify Setup text. Good call Bigby!

@JCGamer: yeah don’t worry too much about that Verify Setup screen. When I run verify setup the output is flooded with red lines. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything is broken. Once you start getting ‘creative’ with your settings the Verify Setup screen just doesn't know how to handle it. ;) I’d recommend verifying your setup by running the emulators themselves. If everything works then it must not be broken! :lol:

Oh snap! I thought he was referring to an error message in the command window! It didn't even occur to me that he was referring to the Verify Setup text. Good call Bigby!

@JCGamer: yeah don’t worry too much about that Verify Setup screen. When I run verify setup the output is flooded with red lines. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything is broken. Once you start getting ‘creative’ with your settings the Verify Setup screen just doesn't know how to handle it. ;) I’d recommend verifying your setup by running the emulators themselves. If everything works then it must not be broken! :lol:

okay I do that I just hope and pray that will work : :o

nope its did not work at all and wont see or read the mounting on the game at all. this is insane you guys I have done everything for this to work and wont do it. My main question is why is this happing and also want be clear I do have window xp SP3 but I know that have nothing do with it but I am very very calm about this so far but its just kill inside me this wont let me play my turbo grafx cd games :( so what other option you have for me that I can play the TG CD with game ex.

OK ... the important thing is to stay calm and take it one step at a time. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Remember we're taking baby steps. We're not trying to run a game yet. We're not even going to start the emulator. All we're trying to do is mount a disc image via the command line.

1. Verify that you have DaemonTools configured correctly. You'll want to make sure you have a virtual SCSI drive installed. When you open up your dashboard for DaemonTools (from the system tray in the lower right corner of your screen), it should look something like this:

DaemonTools.png

Some things to note: you'll notice I have a DT drive and a SCSI drive here. The DT drive was part of the default DaemonTools installation. I had to manually add the SCSI drive. I've highlighted the button used for adding a SCSI drive in the event that you need to do so.

2. OK so far so good? Let's mount a disc from the command line. Not GameEx. Not the emulator. Let's fire up our command window. Here you can see that I've run a series of bad commands and one good one. Let's talk about these in detail.

DT%2520Commands.png

1. In the first command I've typed in an invalid DaemonTools directory. You can see that Windows didn't like that at all, since it said The System cannot find the path specified.

2. In the second command I botched the ROM directory. You'll notice that Windows didn't care one iota about the invalid disc image directory. That's because DaemonTools is in charge of the command at that point. It would be great if DaemonTools had an error message here, but it doesn't. Deal with it. :lol: I can tell that the command was ineffective because when I open up my Daemon Tools dashboard it still looks like the first image above [sCSI-0] (H:) No Media

3. In the third command I tried to mount an invalid disc image (INVALID DISC.txt). This has the same result as the second command. [sCSI-0] (H:) No Media

4. Finally for the last command I ran it correctly. Now when I look at my DaemonTools dashboard I can see that my image has been mounted.

Mounted%2520Image.png

Success! For the record here's the 'good' command I ran:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "E:\Emulation\Roms\Sony_PlayStation[RE]\ePSXe\Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 1)\Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 1).cue"

So at this point, that's all I want you to do. If we can't even get a disc image mounted from the command line, I can't in good conscience recommend a different emulator since we'll have the exact same problem. So let's see if we can get that far, then we'll go from there.

If we get can get that done then we'll move on to Lesson 2: Unmounting the Image. Are you excited? I can tell you're excited. :D

Good luck man.

• Like 1

I am buddies with JCGamer & he has inspired me to also load GameEX and he has introduced me to GameEX. What a great piece of software. I am looking forward to test driving it & buying it ultimately.

Anyway, we had tried to work on this together last night. I thought it was something silly that he was doing & decided to try it on my PC. Low & behold, I am experiencing the same results. It does not work!

I tried to do everything manually to see if it works & to rule out GameEX & it appeared to work manually! Let me explain what I did.

I mounted the .cue image file via DOS commands, as follows:

Migrate to the c:\Program Files\Daemon Tools Lite\ directory & I type the following command:

dtlite.exe -mount scsi, 0, "C:\zFiles\Games\ROMS\TurboGrafx\Buster Bros. [CD][TGXCD1031][Capcom][1993][PCE][terryn].cue"

I see that the image is mounted in Daemon tools & I am able to browse the image folder.

Then in DOS c:\Emulation\MagicEngine I type the following command "pce.exe -cd:i". This then opens up MagicEngine & I am greeted with a setup window, which I prompt OK & then the main program runs. It prompt to press start & so when start is pressed on the controller, the Buster Bros game begins.

Plain and simple & nothing out of the ordinary, until we try to launch from GameEX.

On GameEX settings we have the following:

Working Path= C:\zFiles\Games\Emulation\MagicEngine

ROM Path= C:\zFiles\Games\ROMS\TurboGrafx

ROM Filter= *.cue

Command Line: pce.exe -cd:I

***** Launch Before: C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" *****

Launch After: C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe -unmount SCSI, 0

So what happens?

We are able to see the game in the Turbo Grafx selection of GameEX & we can launch it. The MagicEngine PCE.exe starts & prompts us to start the game. When we hit start, we go directly into the disc player. Why? Because the image did not mount, as verified by Daemontools.

SOOOOOOO, the only possible line/parameter within GameEX that can result in an unsuccessful mount is:

Launch Before: C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

There is something coming back from GameEX in the parameters "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" that Daemon Tools does not respond to.

Since we are ABLE to read the image name into GameEX & given the option to run it, means we are reading the image file correctly. The fact that PCE.exe opens up when the game is selected, means that the pathname is also correct.

We have spent hours in doing this & have changed things like "pce.exe -cd:I" to "pce.exe "syscard3.pce"[-VIRTUALDRIVE-]" and

"pce.exe "syscard3.pce" [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\" BUT nothing seems to work. We have tried to rename the .cue files as well to make them short & terse, still nothing.

Keep in mind we ARE ABLE to do all this via the exact commands that we are asking of GameEX from the DOS commands. The only missing variable is the "

"[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]", which comes from GameEX. The ROM path we know we set to "ROM Path= C:\zFiles\Games\ROMS\TurboGrafx," but there is no way to verify how GameEX is seing the "ROMFILE"? I could understand if we are not able to do all this manually & via dos prompts, but we are. There has to be another explanation?

To top it all off, as I walk away from my pc for 15min, when I came back, JCGamer installs an alternate Turbo Grafx emulator & gets it to work within a 15min span, using the same settings, less the emulator name.

Thank you for your time.

BTW, here are JCGamer's working settings for the Ootake emulator:

Working Path= E:\Emulators\Ootake

ROM Path= E:\Emulators\Ootake\roms

ROM Filter= *.cue

Command Line= Ootake.exe "syscard3.pce"[-VIRTUALDRIVE-]

***** Launch Before= C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe -mount dt, 0, "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" *****

Launch After= C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe -unmount_all

When we compare setting between his working Oatake (in green) & the nonworking MagicEngine settings (in red), we see that the major difference is

in the Command Line & that one is a DT mount vs SCSI mount.

Working Path= E:\Emulators\Ootake

Working Path= C:\zFiles\Games\Emulation\MagicEngine

ROM Path= E:\Emulators\Ootake\roms

ROM Path= C:\zFiles\Games\ROMS\TurboGrafx

ROM Filter= *.cue

ROM Filter= *.cue

Command Line= Ootake.exe "syscard3.pce"[-VIRTUALDRIVE-]

Command Line: pce.exe -cd:I

***** Launch Before= C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe -mount dt, 0, "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" *****

***** Launch Before: C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" *****

Launch After= C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe -unmount_all

Launch After: C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe -unmount SCSI, 0

Hi z-man and welcome to the GameEx forums!

I’m glad to hear that you and JCGamer are working on this together. Nothing like a little team work to get a problem solved!

The main thing I was hoping would be accomplished sounds like it was successful. You guys were able to get that image mounted to DaemonTools via the command line alone. That’s good. At this point the devil is in the details. Let’s break this down.

This was the command you successfully ran via the command console:

dtlite.exe -mount scsi, 0, "C:\zFiles\Games\ROMS\TurboGrafx\Buster Bros. [CD][TGXCD1031][Capcom][1993][PCE][terryn].cue"

And this is the ineffectual command configured in GameEx:

C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]”

Do you notice the difference? It’s subtle, but in the first command you navigated to the DaemonTools directory before running the command. In the second one you’re specifying the full DaemonTools directory path in the command. More to the point that directory has spaces in it. So in order for that command to be successful you’ll need to completely enclose the directory path with quotation marks.

Try this on for size:

LaunchBefore = "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

If that works, you'll also want to fix this:

LaunchAfter = "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount scsi, 0

(you don't really need to unmount_all, and capitalizing SCSI may or may not cause an issue)

Now, those may have been a typos in your post, but those commands appear the same way a few times in the information you posted which leads me to believe that they are configured that way in GameEx too. Hard to tell without looking at your GameEx.ini or Emulator config. ;)

OK so the “[ROMPATH/ROMFILE]” thing. In GameEx ROMPATH is a place holder for … wait for it … your ROM path :D. Whatever you entered for your ROM path will be substituted for the place holder value when you run the command. Likewise the ROMFILE setting is a placeholder for the ROM file being launched including the file extension.

So

“[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]”

becomes

"C:\zFiles\Games\ROMS\TurboGrafx\Buster Bros. [CD][TGXCD1031][Capcom][1993][PCE][terryn].cue"

where

ROM Path = C:\zFiles\Games\ROMS\TurboGrafx

And

Selected ROM = Buster Bros. [CD][TGXCD1031][Capcom][1993][PCE][terryn].cue

If you ever need to verify the exact commands that GameEx is running to launch a game you can look at your runitgame.bat as seen in the How to Ask For Help thread, or spelled out in its entirety right here:

4. "Run Last Game",or "RunitGame.bat"

It is important that the last emulator run in GameEx is the one that you are having problems with!

A. Post your "Run Last Game" or "Runitgame.bat"

Every once in awhile, someone will ask to post the contents of "Runitgame.bat" RunitGame.bat, Is the batch file that GameEx uses to start the emulator, it will show the actual command lines that GameEx is using to start the emulator. To view it, Go to: Start Menu > Program Files > GameEx > Utilities> Run Last Game, and Right click on the icon, and choose "Edit". If Windows wants to know what program to use to open the file, Choose "Select a Program From a List of Installed Programs" Choose "Notepad" from the list. (You may want to make sure that "Use This Program Everytime" is checked.)

Copy and paste the text from Notepad into your next post, by using the keys:

Ctrl + "A" (select all)

Ctrl + "C" (copy)

Ctrl + "V" (paste)

B. Troubleshooting with "Run Last Game"

Follow the instuctions above to open "runitgame.bat" It will look something like this, however, the contents will vary depending on the last emulator that was run in GameEx.

@ECHO OFF

C:

CD "C:\Program Files\Mame0127"

mame.exe 005 -rompath "D:\Mame 0.128 roms"

One way to troubleshoot a problem is to add the word "Pause" at the end of the Runitgame.bat file. When Windows asks "Do you want to save the changes..." Click on "Save". Next, double click on the "Run Last Game" Icon in the Start Menu. This will send the commands again, but the command window will remain open. It may show an error that will help you to understand what is wrong.

If you get this error:

'Emulator name.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

It means that either you have the incorrect name specified for your Emulator.exe, or your working path is incorrect.

If it gives an error that you don't understand, please let us know that you tried this method, and let us know what the error is.

If you’ve got something running outside of GameEx via the command line but it’s not working within GameEx, comparing the runitgame.bat to your known working commands is a great place to start.

Keep us posted on how this is going for you. If things still aren't working as anticipated, I'd request that you repost your emulator config (the one that you export from the setup wizard), as well as a copy of your runitgame.bat after experiencing the problem, since it seems like there have been a number of changes to the previously posted settings.

Thanks fellas.

• Like 1

@JCGamer and z-man: Please refer to what I posted here, as I think it will help you to overcome your current set of obsticles

Why are you not using native DT support?

[VIRTUALDRIVE]

Maybe I need to re-read this thread? :huh:

It's the virtual SCSI factor at play again. If you have a virtual DT drive installed the [VIRTUALDRIVE] command will default to that one rather then using the SCSI drive. Some emulators (such as ePSXe and MagicEngine to my knowledge) require the use of a SCSI drive which has something to do with the way they read sub-channel data. All of this leads to discussions like this one.

Various users have reported successfully mounting images to SCSI drives using the [VIRTUALDRIVE] command if they only have one DaemonTools drive installed and it's a virtual SCSI ... but even then an equal number have reported that this doesn't work for them (FWIW I'm in the group that this has worked for). Not sure what the determining factor for success is there, but it seems to be something of a pattern. I suppose it might also work if you had multiple DaemonTools drives all of which were virtual SCSI but I've not tested out that particular scenario.

What complicates matters is that DaemonTools is installed as a virtual DT drive by default. So you need to remove the default DT drive(s) and add a virtual SCSI drive for the [VIRTUALDRIVE] command to even have a shot of working on those emulators requiring a SCSI drive. So this typically leads to an ... interesting ... troubleshooting discussion. I typically just go for the "Launch Before / Launch After discussion" rather than have the users start mucking about with their DaemonTools drives.

Hmm ... out of curiosity is there any way a plugin could intercept the [VIRTUALDRIVE] command and inject the "mount scsi" flag as necessary? Just a thought.

Actually I fixed up PlugInLaunch to do the extra command line just to fix DT support (I've never had any success using LaunchBefore) so it definitely works that way.

Kudos to Tom for adding support for DT, but it looks like a dedicated plugin will be the way to go here. I'll get working on that. Then we can use a switch Luke GameEx already does (say something like [VIRTUALDRIVE-SCSI] maybe) or better yet, a configuration screen that sends a specific CL for a specific emu based on some minor user input.

Should be easy to knock it out. Let me see if I can work up a beta today.

Again I don't wanna step on Tom's toes but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work (although it should be noted that it works for me).

Any quick suggestions before I get started?

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

• It's been awhile since I've looked at a runitgame.bat which utilized the [VIRTUALDRIVE] command. It would be worth while to check that out to see whether it uses the mount DT flag. If it does, that flag would need to be overwritten with mount scsi. If [VIRTUALDRIVE] runs some alternate command it may be necessary to overwrite the entire command. (although I'm pretty sure there aren't that many options for mounting DaemonTools Lite from the command line)
  • Probably want to notify the user that they'll need to install a virtual SCSI drive in order for the mount scsi thing to work. Seems like a no-brainer, but you never can tell ... It would be awesome if you could run this verification programmatically. I think you can run sommething to the effect of the following to make this happen
    DTLite.exe -get_count scsi
  • Future enhancement idea: Roll in support for DaemonTools Pro since the executable is named differently (and maybe some of the commands too?). This is something I don't think even GameEx supports natively ATM.

So just a few snowball ideas there.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to imply that this is something you should jump on immediately! For that matter I've been know to sling a line of code or two myself. Maybe this is something I could attempt as well. In all actuality both of us may be kidding ourselves as I'm pretty sure we're both currently swamped with IRL stuff. Any hoo, I'd be happy to assist in this endeavor in any way.

Thanks Adultery!

Nullpointer, yes that is exactly the problem. When I place the quotes in the directory structure, it FINALLY works! What has me boggled still, is that JCGamer has his working on Oatake and he currently has spaces in his directory structure AND no quotes?

Thank you for noticing that "subtle" difference. We had been up all night to the point where our brains are fried. Hard to believe we needed the quote, but at the end it is what it is!

On the native DT support, I thought that MagicEngine does not support DT & requires SCSI?

I have tried the following commands as well, to much avail. I could NOT even get the image mounted manually via DT, unless there is something that I am missing. Now that we have invested this much time, it would be awesome to fully understand this.

pce.exe "syscard3.pce"[-VIRTUALDRIVE-]
pce.exe "syscard3.pce" [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\

Much thanks for a great piece of software & treasure to the gaming community....here take our money now!!!!!!!

Well to be honest, I'm gonna approach this from the ground up so I can tightly control the code. Instead of trying to "inject" things, I think the best approach would be to make my own class to launch DT as the emulator launches. Then the user will specify the EXE themselves (although I'll run a script to try and locate it programatically) and bundle in some pre-fabricated command lines, while leaving the option to change it to suit your needs. I'll parse the GameEx INI for the emulator list so it'll be a dropdown menu. Probably include a check box for SCSI and just pass the appropriate command out of the box without having to involve the user much. Also gonna use the same triggers GameEx uses (like "[ROMPath]/[ROMFile]" for example).

Honestly it shouldn't be a huge undertaking, but knowing me it will be pretty at least. I don't think I'm biting off too much here, we shall see what becomes of this. ;)

• Like 1