British Dive Bomber - Blackburn Skua

Nitebyte

Something lacking from the British Research Tree, and I can't see one in the release tree is a Dive Bomber. Everyone else gets one, but the Brits don't, when in fact we had two (that I'm aware of) during the war; the Blackburn Skua and the Vultee A-31 Vengeance

I know there's a ton of people requesting a metric frack-tonne of planes, but amongst the requests I couldn't see a British Dive Bomber, and it is a hole in the trees as they don't currently have one.

Blackburn Skua

didn't perform well as either a fighter or a dive bumber, but does have the honour (if I have my facts right - go on ahead and correct me if I'm wrong) of claiming the first kill by a British aircraft in WWII (a Do 18), and the first sinking of an Axis capital ship (the Konigsburg) by air attack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Skua

_DSC1327.jpg

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

Vultee Vengeance

Built in America but only used operationally by the Fleet Air Arm, royal Air Force, RAAF, and Royal Indian Air Force, so definitely a British tree plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vultee_A-31_Vengeance

vultee_vengeance.jpg

Data from British Warplanes of World War II[26]

General characteristics

•  
  • Crew: 2 (pilot, navigator/gunner)
  •  
  • Length: 39 ft 9 in (12.12 m)
  •  
  • Wingspan: 48 ft 0 in (14.63 m)
  •  
  • Height: 15 ft 4 in (4.67 m)
  •  
  • Wing area: 332 ft² (30.84 m²)
  •  
  • Empty weight: 9,725 lb (4,411 kg)
  •  
  • Max. takeoff weight: 14,300 lb (6,486 kg)
  •  
  • Powerplant: 1 × Wright R-2600-A5B-5 Twin Cyclone 14 cylinder radial air-cooled engine, 1,600 hp (1,193 kW)
  •  

Performance

Armament

•  
  • Guns:
    •  
    • 4 × fixed forward-firing .30 in (7.6 mm) Browning machine guns in the wing
    •  
    • 2 × flexible mount .30 in (7.6 mm) or .303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns in rear cockpit
    •  
  •  
  • Bombs:
    •  
    • 2 × internal 500 lb (230 kg) bombs
    •  
    • 2 × 250 lb (110 kg) bomb on wing racks

• Upvote 6

• 4 weeks later...

I would have no objection to the Vultee being premium if the Skua is in there normally, but without the Skua, that would mean only people willing to spend Eagles on a plane could get a British dive bomber, which in some ways defeats the point of my raising this.

If we can get both in game I'd be a very happy Brit pilot

To be honest I don't much care.

The Skua isn't a great plane, despite it's successes it's underpowered, and underperforms, probably somewhere Tier 3 ish.

The Vengeance is probably more like Tier 5 material.

The Fulmar wasn't a dedicate Dive Bomber, it was offered up as one, competed with another (at that time unbuilt) plane, and lost out. (The other plane wound up as a target tug)

The Fulmar was primarily a fighter, and finished up as a Night Fighter.

There's also the Fairey Barracuda. It was the first plane in the FAA to be made entirely of metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Barracuda

Data from Fairey Aircraft since 1915

General characteristics

• Crew: 3
  • Length: 39 ft 9 in (12.12 m)
  • Wingspan: 49 ft 2 in (14.99 m)
  • Height: 15 ft 2 in (4.62 m)
  • Wing area: 405 ft² (37.62 m²)
  • Empty weight: 9,350 lb (4,250 kg)
  • Loaded weight: 13,200 lb (6,000 kg)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 14,100 lb (6,409 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Merlin 32 liquid-cooled V12 engine, 1,640 hp (1,225 kW)

Performance

• Maximum speed: 228 mph (198 kn, 367 km/h) at 1,750 ft (533 m)
  • Cruise speed: 195 mph (170 kn, 314 km/h) at 5,000 ft (1,524 m)
  • Range: 686 mi (597 nmi, 1,104 km)with 1,620 lb (736 kg) torpedo
  • Service ceiling: 16,600 ft (5,080 m)
  • Wing loading: 32.6 lb/ft² (159 kg/m²)
  • Power/mass: 0.12 hp/lb (0.20 kW/kg)
  • Climb to 5,000 ft (1,524 m): 6 min

Armament

• Guns: 2 × 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers K machine guns in rear cockpit
  • Bombs: 1× 1,620 lb (735 kg) aerial torpedo or 4× 450 lb (205 kg) depth charges or 6× 250 lb (110 kg) bombs

Fairey_Barracuda_II_of_814_Squadron.jpg

• Upvote 1
medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

You have my support and could we have the Skua's variant the Blackburn Roc. I know that it was not a dive bomber but it was based on the Skua's airframe. Also the Skua was the first RN aircraft to have wing flaps, retractable landing gear and a varible pitch propeller.

The question is with its poor performance would enough people use it?  If not then I'd rather the Devs work on another plane people would use!

I know I sure as hell would. I love flying my Brit planes these days, but I sorely miss the dive bombers I use in the other countries. when playing Arcade, I never hit the skies without a dive bomber EXCEPt when playing Brit, because they just don't have one - and it feels like a hole in my set up as a result.

• 5 months later...