soup

Tricia Soup

Appears to have gills, definitely not related to Hen of the Woods, though I can see the resemblance. Kinda looks like old Oyster mushrooms, the stalk not in the center and the gills appearing to be decurrent (running down the stalk). But something tells me to be careful with that suggestion, usually this time of year I only find white colored oysters, (I see you are a good bit north of me though) and especially since it looks almost like they were growing in soil? Spore print color? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be around to help you soon!

Most definitely not Hen of the Woods (Grifola fronosa), which is a species of polypore. Fertile surface of Grifola is composed of pores, not gills.

Looks like Lentinellus cochleatus  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentinellus_cochleatus . Wiki says this species is edible. although I have never tried it. Some other species of Lentinellus are very bitter/acrid tasting. A key feature with this genus (Lentinellus) is the saw-tooth gill edges. 

A species similar (but unrelated to) L. cochelatus is Hohenbuehelia petaloides  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hohenbuehelia_petaloides.html . This species has gills that are more shallow and more tightly spaced than L. cochleatus. Armillaria tabescens is another somewhat similar species.