IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oraniopsis appendiculata

Jonathan

I was wondering if any of you FNQ'ers knew of a nursery that might sell Oraniopsis?

They seem to be incredibly hard to find, due to the fact that most nurseries won't take the long term approach needed to grow them to any size.

But surely someone must have taken a punt and grown some on a bit?

Palms for Brisbane have them listed in 140mm pots, but it would be nice to find some a bit bigger.

I'm also interested in the high altitude Linospadix spp. such as L. apetiolata, palmeriana, minor and microcarya - are these ever available anywhere?

I will be up in Cairns later in the year, so can organise shipping etc. But locating them is the hard bit!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Bob Fletcher's nursery in Vic had them but I think he has closed down

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Hmmm

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Bob Fletcher's nursery in Vic had them but I think he has closed down

Yes, Bob grew them for many years in Seville in the mountains.

I got on of his during the clearing sales.

They saw lows of -2 to -3 C regularly, but were protected from frost by the

bush house he grew them in.

Mine grew 3 leaves this year in deep shade under a huge Pittosporum undulatum.

It seems to gow more leaves than it loses, so its doing quite well actually. Its leaves are 1 metre long.

The palm itself is less than 1 metre in height

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Colin, that 'hmmm' is very disconcerting..... :rolleyes:

Interesting that I got three replies to this topic and they are all from SE Aus, ie. Tas, Vic, and southern NSW....and a PM from another Victorian.

....don't you Queenslanders grow native palms?

Or is it that the high altitude ones don't do well in the warmer, more coastal areas?

Who knows?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Colin, that 'hmmm' is very disconcerting..... :rolleyes:

Interesting that I got three replies to this topic and they are all from SE Aus, ie. Tas, Vic, and southern NSW....and a PM from another Victorian.

....don't you Queenslanders grow native palms?

Or is it that the high altitude ones don't do well in the warmer, more coastal areas?

Who knows?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Thats exactly it :winkie: , why grow palms that struggle and are so slow :rage: , when there are many other sp that thrive down in the heat . I may be able to get some , I know a nursery up on the tablelands who has LOTS of stuff and has been growing commercial qtys for many years . Though I was more interested in the enormous Mealy Bugs .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Thats exactly it :winkie: , why grow palms that struggle and are so slow :rage: , when there are many other sp that thrive down in the heat . I may be able to get some , I know a nursery up on the tablelands who has LOTS of stuff and has been growing commercial qtys for many years . Though I was more interested in the enormous Mealy Bugs .

Hi Michael,

would that nursery be TNQ Palm Nursery? Or is it another? Any contact details would be appreciated - as I mentioned ealier, I'll be up that way for a while, later in the year and would love to check out as many nurseries as time (and wife and kids) will allow.

I can totally understand why you would opt for faster palms.....down here we just opt for those that have some chance of survival!

Cheers,

Jonathan

I think palms for brisbane may have them also

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Hmmm

Colin,

Email me

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I think palms for brisbane may have them also

Refer post #1, Sol.....

Can't help you in your location, but heres one I planted this past weekend. A little sunburned, but I hope moving well now.

Oops, forgot the pic first time.....

post-27-1240981614_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Can't help you in your location, but heres one I planted this past weekend. A little sunburned, but I hope moving well now.

Nice one Bill, looks a good size.

The advice I've heard from some Aussies who grow them is shade, shade and more shade.....do they harden to sun eventually?

Or is full shade always the rule?

Cheers,

Jonathan

I know of one that gets a good deal of sun in San Francisco. The other two I know are growing in shade.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Hmmm

Colin,

Email me

Wai`anae Steve

Hi Steve pm'd you

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Heres an image of soem palms growing on the Mt Lewis rd in FNQ, c/- Tanetahi

84573825.jpg

84884159.jpg

This ex the thread Asian Blowins or Gondwanan relics.

Courtesy of Tanetahi.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Nice one Bill, looks a good size.

The advice I've heard from some Aussies who grow them is shade, shade and more shade.....do they harden to sun eventually?

Or is full shade always the rule?

Cheers,

Jonathan

I am coastal and have more humidity and less heat. I had a smaller one in a pot that was burning too, but I attributed that to acclimation also. But I did move it to the shade and it looked pretty good. I do think it will eventually acclimate, most stuff does here.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Do any of you folks know if Oraniopsis can handle bare rooting?

Or know of any reason why they shouldn't?

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 9 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2009‎ ‎1‎:‎05‎:‎54‎, BS Man about Palms said:

post-27-1240981614_thumb.jpg

How slow is it for you Bill? :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I moved it, and it just putters along.. mostly coastal sun though. Saw a great one at tour yesterday..about 6 feet tall... but of course , no pic. :(

27 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I moved it, and it just putters along.. mostly coastal sun though. Saw a great one at tour yesterday..about 6 feet tall... but of course , no pic. :(

:angry: A very rare to cultivation palm and no pic taken?

:bemused: 

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Well, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. 

This one is going on 8 years from a 3 gallon. Pretty slow and getting crunched by a tree branch along the way didn't help either. 

It's one of those palms you plant and forget about. Full sun, lots of water, and great drainage. 

Tim

P1050465.jpg

P1050466.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Very nice Tim. Looks to be the picture of health! Like Bill above, I’ve got mine in pretty much full coastal sun & it seems fine with it. It’s one of those palms that pushes good growth but doesn’t seem to put on much vertical height. Which is fine, as I understand that they get to be VERY large with time.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Thanks Bret. They do get fairly robust with age. I remember seeing photos from our Aussie pals and these palms can be pretty impressive.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii