IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hydriastele

realarch

Acquired and got these two Hydriastele in the ground in April, they haven't skipped a beat. Really beautiful little palms with emergent red

colored leaves and interesting tomentum on the petiole and rachis. The first one is H. flabellata and spend a lot of guilt free time

looking at it. It's a stout thick leaved little guy with partial shade mid to late afternoon.

post-1300-12763747821526_thumb.jpg post-1300-12763748453757_thumb.jpg post-1300-12763748781888_thumb.jpg post-1300-12763749145346_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The next one is H. affinis and seems a bit more delicate, but still robust. Both are starting to cluster and seem to be fast growers.

post-1300-12763753659357_thumb.jpg post-1300-12763753942978_thumb.jpg post-1300-12763754136744_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The next one is H. affinis and seems a bit more delicate, but still robust. Both are starting to cluster and seem to be fast growers.

These look good! any colour other than green in palms is wonderful - I'm adding this to my july palm shopping list;

the jagged ends of the leaflets remind me of caryota.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

They are pretty, Tim :) :). Do you know whether they grow as big as H. pinangoides? My pinangoides are doing very well under temporary shade and they are growing quite tall, so I think I have to open up the top. I hope the nearby tree is big enough to provide protection :unsure: . I just planted H. leddermanianum next to it. Hydrastele is definitely another genus that is not widely planted... There should be more of it.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They are pretty, Tim :) :). Do you know whether they grow as big as H. pinangoides? My pinangoides are doing very well under temporary shade and they are growing quite tall, so I think I have to open up the top. I hope the nearby tree is big enough to provide protection :unsure: . I just planted H. leddermanianum next to it. Hydrastele is definitely another genus that is not widely planted... There should be more of it.

Can you show us a pic of your H.pinangoides please Ari.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

No good pix of mature clump , but it will grow to approx 4m tall with 1m dia clump .

Nice deep pink new leaf.

post-354-1276379717191_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Can you show us a pic of your H.pinangoides please Ari.

Jim

Will try today, Jim. It is in a very weird place... Not sure whether I can get a good pic of the whole clump.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, I don't have H.pinangoides yet, although I love that little palm as well. A pic of yours would be nice.

Fiji JIm, are you growing H. flabellata and affinis? Do you have any photos of larger specimens?

Does anybody in fact? Would love to see them.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

High guys, :) nice pics :drool: any of you growing Hydriastele dransfieldii ? I don't have flabellata but will see if I can post a pic of my pinangoides later.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

I love Hydriastele, but can't grow any of them. Tried wendlandianna and it made it through one winter and continued slowly through the next summer, only to die in the second winter. I thought I was on a winner with that one. :(

I love the one in the first pic. I wish I could grow it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

High guys, :) nice pics :drool: any of you growing Hydriastele dransfieldii ? I don't have flabellata but will see if I can post a pic of my pinangoides later.

Yep.... went in the ground last year... Nothing to look at though, a bit stretched as it was in shadehouse all the time.. Still going well the last time I checked.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

My favorite genus! I have tried growing many of the species and I regret to say I only have one last surviving plant, H. beguinii, which appears to be the strongest. It should be grown more, only if they grow for you :( The pinangoides appear to grow well the first year but start a long decline once they see their first winter, indoors, outdoors, it doesn't matter.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Frank is H beguinii the most cool hardy one? I may have to try it if it is.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Worth trying, Tyrone... H. begunii 'ode island' is so nice :). Sorry, didn't make it to the garden today... 7 years old birthday party was bigger than I thought it would...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'll try to take some pics of mine later, but the Hydrialstele stems are awesome! Way underrated palm family. :D

Randy :rolleyes:

post-1035-12764321683465_thumb.jpg

post-1035-12764321866582_thumb.jpg

post-1035-12764321999315_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I bought a Hydriastele beccariana last year ¨to see how it does¨. I wasn´t familiar with this genus and I´m always worried about my hot salty beach weather. But this small seedling is doing incredibly well and has more than doubled in size. The shape is stunning, tall and thin, the only question I have is that H.beccariana is supposed to be solitary and this one has a small sucker at the base. Anyone familiar with this one? Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Tom, I would think they would do great in pots since they are relatively small in stature. They are showy too and don't have spines.

Randy, which species is that with the mottled trunk. That is really cool.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Ari, I don't have H.pinangoides yet, although I love that little palm as well. A pic of yours would be nice.

Fiji JIm, are you growing H. flabellata and affinis? Do you have any photos of larger specimens?

Does anybody in fact? Would love to see them.

Tim,

I do not have either of those spp but would like them.

We have H. wendlandiana, H.begunii, H. kasesa, H.microspadix and seedlings of H.pinangoides and H.boumae.

Both wendlandiana and kasesa show some mottling on the trunks.

IMO Hydriastele is a lovely genus and should be grown much more widely; but I have no ideas concerning their cold hardiness.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Tom, I would think they would do great in pots since they are relatively small in stature. They are showy too and don't have spines.

Randy, which species is that with the mottled trunk. That is really cool.

The middle is a kasesa, first & third pic are H. wendlandiana. :D

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Frank is H beguinii the most cool hardy one? I may have to try it if it is.

Best regards

Tyrone

H. beguinii is the largest/stoutest I have attempted from the genus. In central Florida it grows very fast during out hot months, each leaf doubling on the size of the previous one. I gotta ready my camera sometime and add a pic to this thread. I don't know about their cold hardinees but mine hasn't declined during the winter months. Give it a try!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

My Siphokentia beguinii,

post-47-12769680653306_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes