IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hydriasteles anyone?

Cindy Adair

The first photo is my Hydriastele flabellata. The next and the close up are of H. dransfieldii. The ones with the colored new leaf are H. pinangoides.

According to my Palm Inventory list, I also have (somewhere on the farm and equally small I'm sure):

Hydriastele beguinii Obi Is. Form

Hydriastele kasesa

Hydriastele microcarpa (Gronophyllum)

Hydriastele pleurocarpa (Gronophyllum)

Hydriastele rheophytica

Hydriastele sp. “Highland P.N.G.”

Hydriastele sp. New Briton

Obviously, I like this genus and they seem to like my climate so far. All are in shade to partial shade. Please share yours.

post-4111-052355600 1315254545_thumb.jpg

post-4111-063842200 1315254648_thumb.jpg

post-4111-020225900 1315254671_thumb.jpg

post-4111-026227900 1315254810_thumb.jpg

post-4111-058769300 1315254827_thumb.jpg

post-4111-078205600 1315254852_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

I love this genus but it is SO cold sensitive. The last 2 winters have killed all Hydriasteles I had in the ground: pinangoides, beguinii, several others I can't quite remember. I have 1 H. beguinii in a pot that will stay there on the lanai so I can yank it indoors on frigid nights. Otherwise, I've given up on this genus, as well as Areca, Heterospathe .... Your collection is gorgeous.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here is a Hydriastele flabellata still in a pot that we bought from Jeff Marcus (Floribunda) He had some nice 6' ones. I think he said they took ten years to get that big.

post-1234-006876900 1315261463_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Does anyone have pictures of the former Gulubia spp.? I've always wanted to see pictures of those...the few pictures of H. costata are amazing.

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I love this genus but it is SO cold sensitive. The last 2 winters have killed all Hydriasteles I had in the ground: pinangoides, beguinii, several others I can't quite remember. I have 1 H. beguinii in a pot that will stay there on the lanai so I can yank it indoors on frigid nights. Otherwise, I've given up on this genus, as well as Areca, Heterospathe .... Your collection is gorgeous.

I'm so sorry to hear about your frozen palms! However my collection is so new and my palms so tiny that a couple of fallen cecropia leaves or a smothering vine could do them in while I'm helplessly in Virginia! Even with lowest expected temperature in the 60 degrees F mark, they need to grow fast to survive in my jungle I'm afraid.

Cindy Adair

Here's some shots of our H. pinangoides... that fruit is too high to get to!

Simply lovely palms and photos! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy Adair

Very nice, I love most of these Hydriasteles, I am no expert however but Pics 2 and three look less like H. dransfieldii and more like Hydriastele beguinii Obi Is. Form any chance of they were mixed up ?

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

H. ledermannianum is an attractive solitary sp. , I think there is a similar looking plant that was collected on New Britian , a large island some friends of mine have collected on . Its the home of the amazing Alocasia New Guinea Gold.

post-354-098795100 1315279421_thumb.jpg

white stripe is evident even on small seedlings .

post-354-080914500 1315279514_thumb.jpg

Growth has been fairly fast , some trunk coming now on the 2 I have planted right out front .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Does anyone have pictures of the former Gulubia spp.? I've always wanted to see pictures of those...the few pictures of H. costata are amazing.

I posted a Gulubia in my thread but it's probably not the right one... post #172 http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=29666&st=160

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Very nice, I love most of these Hydriasteles, I am no expert however but Pics 2 and three look less like H. dransfieldii and more like Hydriastele beguinii Obi Is. Form any chance of they were mixed up ?

I know little to nothing about these except that I like them. The H. dransfieldii was planted at least a year before I got the H. beguinii. I just copy what the seller says since I've only seen photos. You could certainly be correct.

Cindy Adair

H. ledermannianum is an attractive solitary sp. , I think there is a similar looking plant that was collected on New Britian , a large island some friends of mine have collected on . Its the home of the amazing Alocasia New Guinea Gold.

post-354-098795100 1315279421_thumb.jpg

white stripe is evident even on small seedlings .

post-354-080914500 1315279514_thumb.jpg

Growth has been fairly fast , some trunk coming now on the 2 I have planted right out front .

Great looking palm!

Cindy Adair

I am too in the Society of Frustrated Hydriastele Nuts. I LOVE this genus and yet I have been having a hard time keeping one seedling alive for more than a year. I have tried H. pinangoides (3 times - all dead), H. wendlandiana (no germination), H. sp 'East Sepik' (died of rot). But my only success is definitely worth it all: H. beguinii:

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

You are way ahead of me in my plan to retire one day and populate my birthplace with this magnificent genus. :lol:

Thanks for the pics, and please, more, more!!!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I posted photos of mine a few times.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here are some hydriastele I have in the nursery enjoy.

post-4755-090237100 1315450385_thumb.jpg

H. ledermanianum

post-4755-014745200 1315450396_thumb.jpg

H. cariosa

post-4755-090600200 1315450407_thumb.jpg

H. dransfieldii

post-4755-052034100 1315450420_thumb.jpg

H. flabellata

post-4755-031401800 1315450433_thumb.jpg

H. kasesa

post-4755-068386600 1315450447_thumb.jpg

H.beguinii

post-4755-096910400 1315450460_thumb.jpg

H. Obi Is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SUPERB PICS Thanks Bill . approx how tall is your H. ledermanianum ? And it looks as if it is in a fairly bright spot .

Have heard that H.cariosum comes from fairly moist spots , best ones i HAVE SEEN WERE IN DEEP SHADE . see pacsoa pics

SUPERB PICS Thanks Bill . approx how tall is your H. ledermanianum ? And it looks as if it is in a fairly bright spot .

Have heard that H.cariosum comes from fairly moist spots , best ones i HAVE SEEN WERE IN DEEP SHADE . see pacsoa pics

Mick, how did the Hydriastele wendlandiana's in the rainforest at Mission Beach fair after the cyclone?

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Fantastic photos! Thanks so much for taking the time/trouble to post them. Yes, I like everyone of them. Now when I look at my seedlings I'll try to picture what they might eventually become.

Cindy Adair

The H. ledermanianum is about 12 ft. it is in a very bright spot. The cariosum gets about half day of sun I use a lot of mulch on all my palms now something I just started to do a year ago.

Tim,

Your Hydriasteles are looking really vibrant and seem to have grown since the last time I was at your place. Can you tell us which ones seem to be growing the fastest and slowest?

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Hi Lee, good to see you checking in.

The H. ledermannianum is by far the fasted growing, it's been in the ground for about a year and a half and has put on about 4' of trunk. I finally put an ID on it from this thread. Until now I was calling it 'white rachis'. It's a dead ringer from Bill's photo.

The H. affinis is also pretty fast and the kasesa is now starting to crank. The H. benguinii are starting to pick up speed after a slow start from 1 gallons and I'm starting to think they are something other than what I bought them as. I'll have to post more photos later.

The H.flabellata is somewhere in between, but a steady grower and the the H. hombronii are starting to move after only 8 months in the ground.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hi Tim,

Yeah, the O'O Bar Master and I are palm cruising - haven't done that for a long time. Thanks for the growth rate info. Wish I had gotten a ledermanniana.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Lee, I thought you did? I'm almost certain you got yours the same time as I did. See, you have so many palms you can't keep track of them all.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim , great to hear 'The H. ledermannianum is by far the fasted growing'

Must get some more and plant further out .

post-1300-045035600 1315536752_thumb.jpg post-1300-067181200 1315536755_thumb.jpg post-1300-073477800 1315536758_thumb.jpg

H. kasesa, H. ledermannianum, and H. hombronii.

Gorgeous! Palm perfection--perfectly grown and surrounded by contrasting colors so they really shine.

Cindy Adair

I have H. microcarpa growing in my beach garden and one in my highland garden.Very different climates but both seem to be growing at the same rate, a little slow.

I really like the large leaved ones H.flabellata and H. obi island form.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Weird timing. I missed this topic and was going through some pictures and saw a H. longispatha. Need to read more closely before I post.

What you look for is what is looking

I posted a Gulubia in my thread but it's probably not the right one... post #172 http://www.palmtalk....ic=29666&st=160

Your Gulubia is amazing Angela, love the trunk! Can anyone ID it?

Thanks for the pic!

I've seen your H. costata a few times, can't wait to see it trunking...

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Thanks Cindy, this area is my Hydriastele spot, semi shade and surrounded by colorful vegetation.

In a few years yours are going to be spectacular.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Lovely photos of a great genus. I have a few different species growing here, but never have any luck with any of the 'Nengellas' . They always seem to fall on the sword in times of drought. Not as drought intolerant as Calyptrocalyx, but not far behind. H.wendlandiana is a tough customer though, and seems to get through anything.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

They have.... They are one of the fastest palms I own...

BTW, talking about Hydriastele... has any of you has H. microcarpum? I have one and as jouvenille, it reminds me so much of H. ledermannianum (which I lost a few months ago... I lost a lot of palms :( ). I am just wondering whether mine has been mislabelled. Is there any other Hydriastele that has white along the petioles?

Daryl,

Which ones are the Nengellas?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, a lot of the small clumpers were once the genus 'Nengella', which then got lumped into Gronophyllum, and now into Hydriastele. So H.pinangoides and similar were all Nengellas once upon a time.

Daryl

They have.... They are one of the fastest palms I own...

BTW, talking about Hydriastele... has any of you has H. microcarpum? I have one and as jouvenille, it reminds me so much of H. ledermannianum (which I lost a few months ago... I lost a lot of palms :( ). I am just wondering whether mine has been mislabelled. Is there any other Hydriastele that has white along the petioles?

Daryl,

Which ones are the Nengellas?

Regards, Ari :)

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!