IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heterospathe elata

palmislandRandy

My Heterospathe elata is finally seeding. :D I've done a little research & can't find information on ripe seed color. So what color is the fruit when the seeds are fully ripe & why aren't these palms more popular?

-Thanks, Randy

post-1035-052038500 1323787259_thumb.jpg

post-1035-021997400 1323787267_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I love that palm, been looking for some seeds/seedlings for a while. Don't see them much at palm sales. I love the rows in front of Mounts. When they ripen if you could send me a couple it would be appreciated. I would gladly return the favor with anything from my over stocked palm replacement nursery.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

My Heterospathe elata is finally seeding. :D I've done a little research & can't find information on ripe seed color. So what color is the fruit when the seeds are fully ripe & why aren't these palms more popular?

-Thanks, Randy

I'm not sure what color ripe seeds are - black maybe? I suspect they aren't more popular because of cold sensitivity. Also, I've read that in S FL they are considered somewhat invasive. Didn't stop me from getting a young one earlier this year.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

-Thanks, Randy

I'm not sure what color ripe seeds are - black maybe? I suspect they aren't more popular because of cold sensitivity. Also, I've read that in S FL they are considered somewhat invasive. Didn't stop me from getting a young one earlier this year.

Invasive, no. They do have a high germination % and but take some time to trunk. We used to see tons of them at the sales. Great looking palm - but many people would pass them up. The only thing I can figure is that the growers had so many that they would price them low to thin their stock. Seeing a low price on the palm, people thought of it like an Christmas Palm. It also grows much faster in the ground than in a container - I do not ever recall seeing a trunked palm in a container.

Look at Randy's palm. What a beauty. I could never figure whay this palm never caught on and found in many a garden. There is an outstanding group of these growing near the "new" enterance at Fairchild.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ron, glad to know it this palm isn't invasive. Wouldn't mind trying some seeds myself. How is its coldhardiness?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Ron, glad to know it this palm isn't invasive. Wouldn't mind trying some seeds myself. How is its coldhardiness?

We had 30F a few days in a row a few times & absolutely no cold damage, plus you get a bronze new leaf as a bonus.. :) I have another in the ground that I believe is an elata with over 14 ft fronds & still no trunk after 4 years from a 7 gal. At the rate this thing grows it has no chance of being invasive around here. :unsure:

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

We had 30F a few days in a row a few times & absolutely no cold damage, plus you get a bronze new leaf as a bonus.. :) I have another in the ground that I believe is an elata with over 14 ft fronds & still no trunk after 4 years from a 7 gal. At the rate this thing grows it has no chance of being invasive around here. :unsure:

-Randy

Randy,

It's a great feeling when you finally see a palm in the garden fruit for the first time. The seeds are ready! White! And most will germinate.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

We have quite a few growing locally and of course this is where they are native too but doesnt always

mean you see a lot of them. Yes they are better planted in the ground as soon as possible even just

passed the seedling stage. I have many in large agribags and they doing well but will have to get them

in the ground before the dry season is here.

I like this palm very much, its attractive bronze new leaf is one of its features along with the upright

leaves, bit like a kentia palm really?

There are some very tall ones in the Los Banos university grounds (Philippines) didnt have my camera at the time but they must

be 70ft or so and very old. The trunks are just are very thin and its unbelievable how they manage to stand up

to the typhoons that lash this area?

Yes the seeds are black when ripe!!

Randy,

It's a great feeling when you finally see a palm in the garden fruit for the first time. The seeds are ready! White! And most will germinate.

The seeds are white, and one volunteered in my father's yard so they are naturalized to South Florida, but not invasive.

I got 2 answers white & black. Mmmmmm, maybe grey? I'll keep squeezing them till their soft or start falling off. :)

-Randy

I got 2 answers white & black. Mmmmmm, maybe grey? I'll keep squeezing them till their soft or start falling off. :)

-Randy

Randy - have the Beezer taste test them. :hmm: You know he won't eat them unless they are ripe. :interesting:

Ron :blush:

Most fruit will turn black after a short period of being perfectly ripe ... bananas , mangos etc etc :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Red.

2924646800046669270S600x600Q85.jpg

2406719980046669270S600x600Q85.jpg

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

People! Do your homework. Heterospathe elata produces white fruit when mature. Not red, not black. Dr Dransfield.....Dr Scott Zona..... Paul Craft.......Jeff Marcus........anyone out there???

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 month later...

People! Do your homework. Heterospathe elata produces white fruit when mature. Not red, not black. Dr Dransfield.....Dr Scott Zona..... Paul Craft.......Jeff Marcus........anyone out there???

Jeff

Yes, Jeff is correct, the answer is WHITE. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff

Jeff - you weren't being angry were you? :blink:

Jeff

Jeff - you weren't being angry were you? :blink:

Ron,

Of course not. Life is too short to get angry about something like this.(??) :D I was just confident on the seed color, I have a large one on the property, I've seen them numerous times over the 20 years down at Fairchild Tropical Gardens and besides, there's tons of palm books and the computer to research things like this. It's so much easier to find information these days than it was 20 years ago.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I received two H. elatas as a gift last year. I planted them almost immediately, they have grown really well and always seem to have new bronze leaves. Here's a couple of pictures I took this morning. Peter

post-2997-047031200 1328975163_thumb.jpg

post-2997-087007600 1328975178_thumb.jpg

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

I concur on the white seeds. Seen them many times. I think this goes to show that you cannot necessarily tell what color (or size or shape, etc.) the seeds are of a palm by picking them up off the ground.

Jody

• 2 months later...

I came across a Heterospathe with RED seed. It looked like it was elata, but I have seen Heterospathe elata seed mature WHITE. Is this a different species or can this palm have both red and white seed?

I heard there's one out there with blue seed as well. Berry,berry rare!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Now I am confused but I am sure of this...Heterospathe (of mine) seeds turn red when fully ripe.

I figure the reason they are not popular is that they are not as pretty since they have no crown shaft. :huh:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I have had two different trees seeding over the years. Both had white seeds. I have one in seed now with ...... White seeds.

Rick

Now I am confused but I am sure of this...Heterospathe (of mine) seeds turn red when fully ripe.

I figure the reason they are not popular is that they are not as pretty since they have no crown shaft. :huh:

Ken,

Think of as this, you have another species that is more rarer than H. elata. Because....

Palms of the World by James C. McCurrach

Palms Throughout The World by David L. Jones

An Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms by Robert Riffle & Paul Craft

ALL list Heterospathe elata as having white mature fruit.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I came across a Heterospathe with RED seed. It looked like it was elata, but I have seen Heterospathe elata seed mature WHITE. Is this a different species or can this palm have both red and white seed?

Ken's yard? :lol:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ken's yard? :lol:

No, I don't look at Heterospathes when I'm at Ken's. I did pick up some of the seed and have it potted up. I think there is something here; I have seen both red seed and white seed, now. It seems like seed color would be a big thing--is this not elata?