IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyphosperma tanga

BS Man about Palms

I was lucky enough to get one of these last August..

post-27-078810600 1331693958_thumb.jpg

I was curious how they would do in So Cal.. since the Cypho. balansae is a relatively easy grow once past a 1 gal size..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

YES, I know these are not from New Caledonia! :)

So I took this pic today. The palm sat out side thru almost ALL of this very cool winter for So Cal. I only brought it in from a shade cloth "area" a few times when the temp may have hit 33-34F.. BUT it saw at LEAST 20 nights in the 30's and several of those below 37F..

post-27-005112000 1331694120_thumb.jpg

MUCH more happy than I thought it would be...

Anyone else trying these?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bill.....

Come on, this palm is so common, I think I saw a group of them in the local box store the other day. You probably won't get any responses here. Just saying.... :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have 1 surviving seedling out of 4 that I tried. Kind of a challenge at the seedling stage. Of teh remaining 2 that I had the bigger one died on me after I repotted it. Maybe I damaged the roots during the repot -- so be careful. I get the impression they are as root sensetive as Joeys

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Thanks for a report Gene.

Now I am sad a bit.. so far I was thinking "cool, a new cal type palm I can grow"... And you have had %75 loss.. :(

Maybe they DO like cooler climes?

Hi Bill, I had four germinate out of ten seeds, they are about half the size of yours but are doing ok :) , brown leaf tips seem to be common to these seedlings.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Gene, Bruce... Any chance of photo's?

Bueller?

Bueller?

:lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Its been to wet to get to the greenhouse and get photo's, in a day or so maybe :)

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

OK :)

As I said they are smaller than yours Bill, but they seem very healthy.

post-3764-005999600 1332312713_thumb.jpg

post-3764-038966100 1332312733_thumb.jpg

post-3764-011942500 1332312753_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Bruce, those look great. mine is only in a 4 inch pot. i bet your biggest is the same size as mine! :D

Thanks! happy growing!

Bruce, those look great. mine is only in a 4 inch pot. i bet your biggest is the same size as mine! :D

Thanks! happy growing!

Thanks Bill :)

Bruce

Bill, your experiment with Cyphosperma Tanga out in the cold should give alot of palm growers/ collectors somethimg to get excited about, I certainly am. Now even though this incredible palm comes from Fijis highest mountain, i still had my doubts on its survivability outside the tropics. I recently received a beautifully grown Cyphosperma Tanga grown in humid Cairns( Arden Dearden and Chris Hall..Equatorial Exotics (FNQ) without a blemish on it, its the same size as yours and Loweys. Bill, with your Cy Tanga out in many nights in the mid 30sF ( 4c)and even lower approaching 0c and Loweys extreme low of 14c ( very rarely) proves this palm will be able to be grown by palm growers/ collectors from the Humid Tropics to the Dry Temperate areas. Gene,sorry to hear of your losses,( maybe yr mix isnt fast draining enough?) i three weeks ago potted up my CT and wasnt overly gentle as i gave it a whole new mix( bare rooted)Alls wells so far,thanks for this thread BS, very valuable info. Cheers, Happy growing. Pete. :)

ps I have heard from a few respective growers, that Tanga is an easier grow than Naboutii (spelling?)

Glad you are trying this also Pete... I suspect you'll do fine! :)

Glad to see your input here again and was thinking about you and some of your New Cal gems just a couple days ago... :D

PS-.. might have even seen a 2C night or two...

And Pete.. pics?

Glad you are trying this also Pete... I suspect you'll do fine! :)

Glad to see your input here again and was thinking about you and some of your New Cal gems just a couple days ago... :D

PS-.. might have even seen a 2C night or two...

And Pete.. pics?

Cheers Bill, heres 2 pics of the same palm. This palm is only 13 months old,so a very steady gower. Grown by Equatorialexotics but now lives here. :) This will be a stunning palm to watch grow, if it was December, i would be planting it straight inground. All the best with yours. Pete :)

post-5709-059496500 1332574810_thumb.jpg

post-5709-061381700 1332574824_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

With this brought up in the other thread about new cal.. I thought I should post my tanga update here..

post-27-073775000 1339464062_thumb.jpg

At first I panicked and thought it had not grown at all, but you can "just" see the spear in the first post. So it has opened a nice big leaf since this thread started.

Pete, Bruce, anyone else.. please feel free to post an update of yours.

With this brought up in the other thread about new cal.. I thought I should post my tanga update here..

post-27-073775000 1339464062_thumb.jpg

At first I panicked and thought it had not grown at all, but you can "just" see the spear in the first post. So it has opened a nice big leaf since this thread started.

Pete, Bruce, anyone else.. please feel free to post an update of yours.

Bill, just for you, heres a fresh shot today, even in the "cool continuous wet rainy weather" the new spear is growing rapidly..Many thanks to Great Friend Arden Dearden who sold me this Palm...Arden showed me the germinating Tangas, 12 mnths later they had 5 leaves..What a beautiful exciting Entire Leafed "highland mountain palm" Bill, this palm coming from a very high rainfall area relishes "Rainwater" not chlorinated tap water, just like palms from NC.... Fiji and NC receive massive rainfall and C Tanga is very often in the clouds mist with masses of moss on the trees and ground..Pete. :)

post-5709-020906900 1339467231_thumb.jpg

post-5709-012247600 1339467246_thumb.jpg

Seems Cyphospermas might have a genetic cool tolerance even if no longer in cool climates as Cyphosperma "Ambae" from Vanuatu has been grown to flowering size here.

Seems Cyphospermas might have a genetic cool tolerance even if no longer in cool climates as Cyphosperma "Ambae" from Vanuatu has been grown to flowering size here.

Rich Cyphosperma Ambae comes from the "highest altitude of near 1500mtrs, which is far higher than all other Cyphospermas in their "natural environment"..Great to see this is flowering in NZ, does it set viable seed? ...Very high mountainous palms do "very well" in NZ..I hope it set viable seed because if the huge Volcano of Mt Manaro where this palm resides soon erupts( as it is still very active), this palm will be decimated...

Toby from RPS said that seed of C Tanga wont be available again for a" very long time' as there was "very very little interest" in palm collectors buying any seed when he went to great lengths to get collect fantastic, fresh viable seed..

Wow, good looking seedlings. I had 10 seeds and two germinated. They made it for awhile, but

eventually croaked. An, expensive failure, but it was worth the try.

aloha

Wow.. sad that so few tried it.. :(

Wow.. sad that so few tried it.. :(

Because so few CAN grow it. And how expensive were the seeds!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Geoff, is that supposed to be a tanga..? I thought they were supposed to be entire leaf...

According to RPS the tanga is entire leaf. That one I believe is what is called

C. Naboutini., and is pinnate. Jeff has them on his price list and shows them on his virtual tour.

Rich Cyphosperma Ambae comes from the "highest altitude of near 1500mtrs, which is far higher than all other Cyphospermas in their "natural environment"..Great to see this is flowering in NZ, does it set viable seed? ...Very high mountainous palms do "very well" in NZ..I hope it set viable seed because if the huge Volcano of Mt Manaro where this palm resides soon erupts( as it is still very active), this palm will be decimated...

Toby from RPS said that seed of C Tanga wont be available again for a" very long time' as there was "very very little interest" in palm collectors buying any seed when he went to great lengths to get collect fantastic, fresh viable seed..

Pete. The volcanic peak of Mt Ambae is 1496m so it may not be found quite that high but even 1500m in the tropics is a lot warmer than NZ! Many palms from that distribution would have zero chance of survival here. We have a warm temperate climate, not remotely cool subtropical like you have I'm afraid! The flowering Ambae here(sorry to mix species in this topic) has seen close to 0c many times so it could well be genetic cool tolerance rather than environmental selection in the present habitat climate. Possibly it survived on that Island during the last ice age... often this is the case put forward for species which surprise us. Just goes to show you have to try to find out what will grow.

My eye sees more C Trichospadix than C Ambae in this Cyphosperma, especially when you look at the pics on RPS and blow up the pic size of the floweing Cypho in NZ..When the pics are side by side theres a lot of difference.

My eye sees more C Trichospadix than C Ambae in this Cyphosperma, especially when you look at the pics on RPS and blow up the pic size of the floweing Cypho in NZ..When the pics are side by side theres a lot of difference.

You could be right, which would be even more reason to try any of the Cyphospermas in any frost free microclimate!

You could be right, which would be even more reason to try any of the Cyphospermas in any frost free microclimate!

Absolutely Rich, is there many C Balansae grown in NZ by yourself or enthusiasts?... They grow so incredibly well in Sydney they should be an easy grow for you with a little overhead protection.

I planted a tiny seedling years ago, its finally starting to grow well thanks to it getting more light now and my repetitive rave about Nutricote total, very very soon it will be trunking, cant wait to see the "stunning black' lower crownshaft.. As you can see our C Balansae is tiny compared to the "much much" older Balansaes in Sydney and Floribundas massive beauties, but this Palm is "now on its way" Good luck with all your growing.. Pete :)

post-5709-031175800 1339906406_thumb.jpg

post-5709-005254800 1339906419_thumb.jpg

post-5709-019941600 1339906431_thumb.jpg

Absolutely Rich, is there many C Balansae grown in NZ by yourself or enthusiasts?... They grow so incredibly well in Sydney they should be an easy grow for you with a little overhead protection.

I planted a tiny seedling years ago, its finally starting to grow well thanks to it getting more light now and my repetitive rave about Nutricote total, very very soon it will be trunking, cant wait to see the "stunning black' lower crownshaft.. As you can see our C Balansae is tiny compared to the "much much" older Balansaes in Sydney and Floribundas massive beauties, but this Palm is "now on its way" Good luck with all your growing.. Pete :)

Nice Pete, I know of one grower here. There are no plants for sale and fresh seed is very seldom available... All the New Cals will probably grow here but getting seed out of New Cal is hard and getting it into NZ in good shape even more difficult! But hey there is still plenty of cool stuff for those who are motivated.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bill - is it still the size of a can of Pepsi? Since you got the new camera ... :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

ummm... wellll.. see its like this... :(

ummm... wellll.. see its like this... :(

I will continue your sentence Bill....ummm.. wellll..see its like this... :( I "spend ALL" my spare $$ on my precious car, a rare palm "can wait" till Im "over my car", and "really into palms" :)

In this case it was a springtime romance... but the end result was the same..