IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brassiophoenix drymophloeoides in Samarakoon's garden

doranakandawatta

That is a beautiful palm - thanks for the pics. If I see one for sale, it's headed straight to the garden.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Ahhh...can't go past a good Brassiophoenix!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Philippe,

I just love this palm, always have and always will. This is one well grown palm! Thanks for sharing.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow, what a beauty.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

There you go again, Philippe. Showing off a hard to find palm. Well, ha ha. We have one!

Lee

• Upvote 1

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Lucky you!

I hope we'll have one too (I bought seeds on RPS but...) otherwise Samarakoon will get seeds, and seedlings, maybe next year... :)

Will you show us your plant?

Thanks

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Philippe,

I got scolded by Mike for saying "Ha Ha" I hope you know that I was just kidding. I was just so excited to have a palm that you also have. I hope we can still come to the Sri Lanka PRA!

I will post a picture of ours tomorrow. It will make you feel good because yours is so much better.

Lee

• Upvote 1

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Lee,

Actually it's Samarakoon's palm I photographed in his garden in Peradeniya,which is close to the botanic garden.

Samarakoon is one of the few Palm-addict gardeners you would be happy to meet: very kind, smiling like a srilankan citizen ( it means much more than a swiss!) and growing palms since long... see my other posts about his garden.

Palmtalk and internet is not his favorites but we hav eto go and visit.

Kindest regards

Philippe

Philippe

There you go again, Philippe. Showing off a hard to find palm. Well, ha ha. We have one!

Lee

I have both species in the genus but seeing an adult and big seed to boot is a welcomed treat! Thanks for the photos :)

what a nice looking palm you don't see much of on this forum. kinda looks like a mix of Ptychosperma and Caryota

Grant
Long Beach, CA

what a nice looking palm you don't see much of on this forum. kinda looks like a mix of Ptychosperma and Caryota

with green-bluish fruits!

Philippe

• 1 year later...
On 14.1.2014, 16:38:32, grant b. said:

The first time I saw a pic of that palm on another thread this was also my first guess: "… looks to me like a Ptychosperma (caryotoides ???) …"

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 years later...

Glad to have a small one that needs to find a patch of ground soon. Nice color and pattern on the trunk, reminds me of several species of Veitchia at this age. 

Tim

P1060018.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii