IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia viscosa

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Is the pritchardia viscosa from Ron growing in various places in California the real deal? It sure is the most beautiful palm I have ever seen! (First two photos I believe are from Matty, taken in Socal, the last one is Hawaii.)

I bit the bullet and bought one of Ron's plants. This is simply a spectacular palm. It looks slightly different to me from the viscosa in Hawaii, but perhaps it's because it's grown in California. I don't care if it's the same, because whatever this is, it's simply one of the most stunning palms I've ever seen.

OC-045.jpg

OC-044.jpg

Pritchardia_viscosa02.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've had one of those for a few years. It's a great palm, but am nearly 100% sure it's actually P. minor. It's one of those for me that resents too much sun, as well as too much cold. Which means it looks really good for 6 months, then somewhat frazzled for the next six. Good score though.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

awesome palm! arent they illegal to to have?

I don't think they're illegal to possess, just to collect in habitat.

Bret

That is a beauty Axel. Someday, hopefully this summer, I am going to go hike/run the powerline trail

on Kauai. And see the real deal in habitat.

aloha

I need to clarify that the Hawaiian plant pictured is the real deal; the SoCal one not.

Bret

how do you get one then if it cant be collected from habitat?

I guess you gotta go see a guy named Ron...

I guess you gotta go see a guy named Ron...

There are fruiting ones in private collections, but I won't say where. I don't know where the seeds for those fruiting ones came from. Suffice to say, the pritchardia population as a whole in California is much healthier in California than it is in Hawaii. That's because in Hawaii they discourage the planting of the endangered species. I guess they're going to protect their pritchardia into extinction. I predict that California will eventually be the only source of seed from which some of these species will be able to be re-populated in Hawaii. New Zealand's invasive plant police will prevent New Zealand from ever becoming a genetic repository for endangered species.

Someone can correct me here, but I think there are only 3 left in habitat. But there are a few palms around here in SoCal. I just helped a friend move one that he has had for years. (He sold the house where it was & did not want to leave it.) I know that Some Hawaii growers have a handful of them as well; some are beginning to fruit. As I said before, I think Rons is actually minor. He's a straight up, honest guy, but sometimes we all have thought we had one thing that turned out to be another. But it's a great palm anyway & I have zero regrets getting it from him. Now if I can only find the real viscosa somewhere. % maybe Tectiphiala while I'm at it.

Bret

The law regarding P. viscosa is that you can't jump the fence to collect them in habitat. You also must have a permit for this species to own one and propagate (as well as a few other Pritchardias) in Hawaii if I am correct? If you live elsewhere, Hawaii's jurisdiction doesn't apply, but they probably won't go after you anyway.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

The law regarding P. viscosa is that you can't jump the fence to collect them in habitat. You also must have a permit for this species to own one and propagate (as well as a few other Pritchardias) in Hawaii if I am correct? If you live elsewhere, Hawaii's jurisdiction doesn't apply, but they probably won't go after you anyway.

Yes, hence a lot of them will go extinct in Hawaii while surviving in cultivation in Southern California. I heard there have already been a few cases they've turned to Socal collectors to get seed and repopulate in Hawaii. Beaurocrats are rarely a good solution and pritchardia is no exception.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/2/2014, 12:43:31, Brahea Axel said:

Yes, hence a lot of them will go extinct in Hawaii while surviving in cultivation in Southern California. I heard there have already been a few cases they've turned to Socal collectors to get seed and repopulate in Hawaii. Beaurocrats are rarely a good solution and pritchardia is no exception.

Never heard of such a thing, viscosa is the only species w such a small genetic pool. Most all species have wild collection efforts by agencies, but these never make it to cultivation, only outplanting efforts.

Those who have mature cultivated P viscosa collected them before it was recognised as endangered.

collecting anything from nature is 'not allowed'. Selling endangered species in Hawaii is when you need a permit, in the form of special tags, state botanist has to review the origin of parentage and credible sourcing.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had some new and updated pics. The ones in the "for sale" section got me interested!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Beautiful to say the least, hope it sets seed for you. In my opinion this is how to save native Pritchardia, get them into cultivation. They make excellent landscape palms,

and are very hardy and tough, but also very beautiful and are great additions to the garden.

Much aloha

Colin 

• Upvote 3

What a classic picture of the shiny inflorescence shown above.  Thanks for sharing that.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Beautiful! 

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

3 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

This is at the top of my list. What a beautiful palm!

^^ Would second that statement. 

• Upvote 1

awesome inflorescence shot. you can really see the viscous giving this species it name

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 1/19/2018, 10:03:43, colin Peters said:

Beautiful to say the least, hope it sets seed for you. In my opinion this is how to save native Pritchardia, get them into cultivation. They make excellent landscape palms,

and are very hardy and tough, but also very beautiful and are great additions to the garden.

Much aloha

Colin 

Colin, did you ever hike the power line trail?

• 2 weeks later...

Gives Copernicia fallaensis a big-time run for the money! :wub: I think I have a new obsession. However, doubtful it could grow here.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: