IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attalea amygdalina

Pedro 65

Attalea amygdalina here is getting longer leaves ( 20 + ft) and wider at the base, this Attalea is native to Colombia and was planted 16 yrs ago from an 8" pot, it has much larger siblings in Townsville, who else is growing Attalea amygdalina and has pics to share.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-66098500-1405219687_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-60684100-1405219735_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-67927400-1405219789_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-30693600-1405219861_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-20224900-1405219931_thumb.jp

Uffff!!!!

:) and they dont form a trunk, just big fronds erupting out of the ground ,it will be amazing when it flowers.

Looks great Pete......... I was recently given seed from one fruiting in the Townsville Palmetum........hopefully I get a few up, would look awesome on my acreage :yay:

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Impressive plant however! Still s zone fare away for me. What's the hardiest Attalea?

In my experience Attalea dubia has been pretty hardy even as a small seedling (just now going pinnate), down to 22F or so with no damage. It has good frost protection from high canopy and is within 10 foot of our garage however. Ive had it planted out for approx 3-4 years or so now

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Looks great Pete......... I was recently given seed from one fruiting in the Townsville Palmetum........hopefully I get a few up, would look awesome on my acreage :yay:

Attalea's certainly would look awesome on your acerage Andrew, all best with germination.

Hi Pete, Do you think this unlabeled Attalea at Wilson Botanical Garden is A. amygdalina?. It had an infructescence sticking straight up from the center. One of my friends put their hand in that photo for scale.

With Katrina in front

post-747-0-61020600-1405305929_thumb.jpg

Seeds

post-747-0-50722700-1405305970_thumb.jpg

Another angle with Ben in front of it

post-747-0-21132100-1405306031_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Hi Jeff, thanks for the pics, I have no Idea but thanks to the aid of these" 2 great books" there is quite a few Attalea's with subterranean trunks and 1 mentioned is Attalea iguadummat that you showed in the Wilson Botanical Garden thread.

Be great if Gileno could chime in to answer your Q Jeff and one I have re Amygdalina being.. are the specimens tagged as Amygdalina in Townsville ( pic below taken by Nach Von Vincent) which now have large trunks "really amygdalina"

post-5709-0-62364600-1405344753_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-75142500-1405344836_thumb.jp

Attalea is an amazing genus. I like the idea of one with a subterranean trunk! The leaves are the best thing about this genus.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Lovely Palms amigos.

I am a great fan of Attaleas but this is a Genus of many different species and they are difficult to tell apart. I have a dozen species here and I keep updating the labels so they don't confuse me when showing the visitors. The only different species since the early Sagres is probably the Attalea funifera, with Its quite distinctive plumose leaves.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hi Jeff, thanks for the pics, I have no Idea but thanks to the aid of these" 2 great books" there is quite a few Attalea's with subterranean trunks and 1 mentioned is Attalea iguadummat that you showed in the Wilson Botanical Garden thread.

Be great if Gileno could chime in to answer your Q Jeff and one I have re Amygdalina being.. are the specimens tagged as Amygdalina in Townsville ( pic below taken by Nach Von Vincent) which now have large trunks "really amygdalina"

Hi Pete, I remember the A. iguadummat at Wilson as that one had a label. This one was in a different area of the garden and was not labeled. I guess there are a lot more species with subterranean trunks than I thought.

Hi Gileno, when you have some "spare time", can you Please take pics of your Attalea's and post ? including a new pic of this stunning Attalea funifera of yours you have on the Pacsoa site.

Many thanks in advance, Pete

Hi Jeff, no doubt you got seed and are germinating them ? yes the books mention quite a few with subterranean to very small trunks, my mind is now on Funifera , great name and great looking Attalea.

post-5709-0-71725800-1405410477_thumb.jp

Hi Jeff, no doubt you got seed and are germinating them ? yes the books mention quite a few with subterranean to very small trunks, my mind is now on Funifera , great name and great looking Attalea.

I didn't collect any of those seeds Pete. I've never had much luck with Attalea seeds in the past. They take too long to germinate and I end up tossing them. Here in Costa Rica, A. rostrata seeds fall on the ground and lay there for a year until they turn black before they all start to germinate at the same time. I used to wait and pull up the seedlings and they all transplanted well. A friend once brought me a single seed of A. cohune that she collected at a garden in Belize. It took well over a year but it did finally germinate.