IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calyptronoma plumeriana - who grows one?

PalmatierMeg

When I visited Cuba last year, I saw so many fabulous palms and I was inspired to try a few in my garden. Copernicia rigida neared the top of my wish list but none we saw had seeds and it is almost impossible (impossibly expensive?) to find in the US. Oh well. I also really liked the "shaving brush" look of Calyptronoma plumeriana but they weren't seeding either. But I got a really nice one from Floribunda. I posted photos of it below.

I want to plant it once the threat of cold weather is over for the season. Who else is growing this palm? Can you provide some cultural advice and wisdom? Photos?

post-1349-0-73438600-1423531933_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-37711600-1423531990_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-72944000-1423532021_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-00895800-1423532049_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hi Meg,

This one has been in the ground since the spring of 2011, it was a 5 gal. Easy grow so far, so not much cultural info to offer.

It hasn't started to trunk yet, but it's becoming a handsome palm. Of course warm year round and plenty of moisture. Full sun

since planting and fertilizer very infrequently. I have to confirm, but I think it's been moved into Calyptrogyne.

Say hello to Tim for me.

Tim

post-1300-0-85506200-1423552777_thumb.jp post-1300-0-18058900-1423552781_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I have occidentalis--it opens a new red leaf, but other than floral differences, and ultimate height, there is not much difference in rivalis, plumeriana, and occidentalis(I picked occidentalis due to the red leaf and rumors it is less needy of wet conditions). Occidentalis is a good grower for me.

According to the Kew plant list.org it is still Calyptronoma.

Thanks Geoff. I always thought it was so un-Calyptrogyne looking anyway.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I originally planned to plant mine on my garden lot, which is not irrigated, but I'm learning that these are water lovers so I'll have to rethink my plan about that. I also read they are 10b/11 palms which isn't surprising for a Cuban palm. C. rivalis - not Cuban - is critically endangered so I may look for one of those.

Great looking palm, Tim.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.