IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The rarest palm in my collection

sarasota alex

7 hours ago, richnorm said:

I had to google the Genus!  Pretty little thing.

Me too. Never heard of this. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Wow, cool and rare specimen! Despite their spininess I find the rattan palms fascinating.

The rarest I have ever grown has to be either Oncocalamus tuleyi, a climbing rattan from western tropical Africa or Voaniola gerardii. Both are no longer alive. Satranala decussilvae is probably the rarest I have living.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Very cool! How hardy is it?

I'm nervous to find out :) No cultivation record for this one

39 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Wow, cool and rare specimen! Despite their spininess I find the rattan palms fascinating.

The rarest I have ever grown has to be either Oncocalamus tuleyi, a climbing rattan from western tropical Africa or Voaniola gerardii. Both are no longer alive. Satranala decussilvae is probably the rarest I have living.

Thanks Eric! I also love rattans! I even decided to select a beautiful infructescence of Daemonorops grandis as my avatar pic.

I was at Leu last June for an hour or so, when a meeting I was attending in Orlando unexpectedly got pushed back. The collection is amazing, although I didn't get enough time to see it all. Plectocomiopsis sp. you have there is definitely at the top of what I would consider rare genera list. You also have a species there that's on my "most wanted" list, and arguably the most beautiful of all non-climbing Calamus - Calamus castaneus.

Not sure what it is about Oncocalamus tuleyi. The Tropical Collection Curator at the Huntington Gardens also told me that they had one but couldn't keep it alive in the conservatory.

I would assume no cold hardiness and move indoors if temp falls below 50F. It is cute. Its wall-to-wall spines remind me of a juvenile Acrocomia. How big does it get and does it climb?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

9 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I would assume no cold hardiness and move indoors if temp falls below 50F. It is cute. Its wall-to-wall spines remind me of a juvenile Acrocomia. How big does it get and does it climb?

No, it doesn’t climb. Cf. also Riffle & Craft (2003), p. 418 or Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogonotium.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

18 hours ago, sarasota alex said:

Thanks Eric! I also love rattans! I even decided to select a beautiful infructescence of Daemonorops grandis as my avatar pic.

I was at Leu last June for an hour or so, when a meeting I was attending in Orlando unexpectedly got pushed back. The collection is amazing, although I didn't get enough time to see it all. Plectocomiopsis sp. you have there is definitely at the top of what I would consider rare genera list. You also have a species there that's on my "most wanted" list, and arguably the most beautiful of all non-climbing Calamus - Calamus castaneus.

Not sure what it is about Oncocalamus tuleyi. The Tropical Collection Curator at the Huntington Gardens also told me that they had one but couldn't keep it alive in the conservatory.

I had 2 Oncocalamus plants. One was planted and the other kept in a container. The planted specimen never thrived and then slowly died. The other grew a bit but then quickly declined and died.

We also have Calamus erectus, another clumping, non-climbing rattan palm. It has very large, golden spines.

The Plectocomiopsis was grown from seed collected in Thailand. It has been in the ground since 2001. I am beginning to thing it is a Salacca as it has never tried to climb or produced cirri.

Another rare rattan we have planted out is Myrialepis paradoxa, seed came from RPS.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 11/25/2015, 8:50:29, Eric in Orlando said:

I had 2 Oncocalamus plants. One was planted and the other kept in a container. The planted specimen never thrived and then slowly died. The other grew a bit but then quickly declined and died.

We also have Calamus erectus, another clumping, non-climbing rattan palm. It has very large, golden spines.

The Plectocomiopsis was grown from seed collected in Thailand. It has been in the ground since 2001. I am beginning to thing it is a Salacca as it has never tried to climb or produced cirri.

Another rare rattan we have planted out is Myrialepis paradoxa, seed came from RPS.

I looked again at the photos I took of the Plectocomiopsis from Leu and I also don't believe it's what it is. Plectocomiopsis spp. have regularly arranged leaflets spreading in the same plane, which is not the case with your specimen. I also agree that it's probably a Salacca sp. My photos are not too detailed, but it looks like the apical leaflets are not split forming a wide leaflet - a characteristic of Salacca (although there are some exceptions, such as S. griffithii or S. secunda). There are only three Salacca spp. that could be found in the same area of Thailand where Plectocomiopsis spp. are also found - S. glabrescens, S. stolonifera, S. wallichiana. The only one that fits the description is Salacca glabrescens, so I would guess this is what you have.

I currently have 6 calamoid species in my living collection - Calamus aruensis, Daemonorops periacantha, Pogonotium ursinum, Salacca zalacca, Metroxylon vitiense and Mauritiella armata. Mauritiella armata is so far the only one in the ground. One of the first palms I planted in the new yard. Trying to repeat the success I had with that species in my previous yard I sold, where I've had it in the ground for over 3 years and it's 8' tall now.

On 11/24/2015, 5:35:22, Pal Meir said:

The newest name seems to be Calamus ursinus: :interesting:

http://www.mapress.com/phytotaxa/content/2015/f/p00197p152f.pdf

Well... kinda... but not exactly. It's a very valid statement to make based on the linked publication, however it's not accepted by some top palm botanists. John Dransfield, for example, published a response commentary to this article in the spring issue of Palms (https://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2015/Vol59n1p51.pdf) where he calls the lumping of Daemonorops, Ceratolobus and Pogonotium into Calamus - "premature taxonomic changes, based on limited sampling". Dr. Dransfield also writes that "Herbarium curators will be forgiven for continuing to maintain the old genera". So I'm following his advice and maintaining the old genera :) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sarasota alex said:

Well... kinda... but not exactly. It's a very valid statement to make based on the linked publication, however it's not accepted by some top palm botanists. John Dransfield, for example, published a response commentary to this article in the spring issue of Palms (https://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2015/Vol59n1p51.pdf) where he calls the lumping of Daemonorops, Ceratolobus and Pogonotium into Calamus - "premature taxonomic changes, based on limited sampling". Dr. Dransfield also writes that "Herbarium curators will be forgiven for continuing to maintain the old genera". So I'm following his advice and maintaining the old genera :) 

The Goddess Palmarum will forgive you. ( :innocent: or :evil:?)

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 11/28/2015, 1:42:15, sarasota alex said:

I looked again at the photos I took of the Plectocomiopsis from Leu and I also don't believe it's what it is. Plectocomiopsis spp. have regularly arranged leaflets spreading in the same plane, which is not the case with your specimen. I also agree that it's probably a Salacca sp. My photos are not too detailed, but it looks like the apical leaflets are not split forming a wide leaflet - a characteristic of Salacca (although there are some exceptions, such as S. griffithii or S. secunda). There are only three Salacca spp. that could be found in the same area of Thailand where Plectocomiopsis spp. are also found - S. glabrescens, S. stolonifera, S. wallichiana. The only one that fits the description is Salacca glabrescens, so I would guess this is what you have.

I currently have 6 calamoid species in my living collection - Calamus aruensis, Daemonorops periacantha, Pogonotium ursinum, Salacca zalacca, Metroxylon vitiense and Mauritiella armata. Mauritiella armata is so far the only one in the ground. One of the first palms I planted in the new yard. Trying to repeat the success I had with that species in my previous yard I sold, where I've had it in the ground for over 3 years and it's 8' tall now.

It does seem Salacca glabrescens matches up with it. Good to have a tentative name for it! It survived the 2009-10 winter with minor burn as did the mature clump of Salacca wallichiana. I also had Salacca magnifica and S. zalacca planted nearby but they died from the 2009-10 winter.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have a couple of new Licualas in my collection now. First, Licuala terengganuensis which is from the Malay peninsula. It's planted in the yard and is approx. 2' in height. Also, I have some small L. bachmaensis from Vietnam. These have an impressive looking leaf. Also, my Hydriastele selibicum is now about 7' and is doing well.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mine is the Douglas mutant....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

7 minutes ago, John Case said:

Mine is the Douglas mutant....

This one is exceedingly rare because no one wants it in their yard. Talk about getting hit with the ugly stick...:D

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....I saw no rules on beauty, just rarity! :)

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Just now, John Case said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....I saw no rules on beauty, just rarity! :)

He he.  I'm just playing.  I keep teasing Patric that he needs to stop trying to get me to take one of those off his hands, as well...I'm not that altruistic! 

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

I have a couple of new Licualas in my collection now. First, Licuala terengganuensis which is from the Malay peninsula. It's planted in the yard and is approx. 2' in height. Also, I have some small L. bachmaensis from Vietnam. These have an impressive looking leaf. Also, my Hydriastele selibicum is now about 7' and is doing well.

Cool! Do you have any pictures Jeff?

Sorry I do not. I'm that lazy.....:(

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

19 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

I got some seed of   Licuala terengganuensis but no germination yet. It looks to be a really nice species.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a