IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to differ Pholidocarpus sumatranus with other Sumatra Pholidocarpus?

adynepenthes

Hi,

I found Pholidocarpus sp that not far ( 80 km to northwest from Pholidocarpus sumatranus data location). the fruit is really huge (coconut size), larger than other Pholidocarpus from North sumatra, oval shape , maximal size fruit about 15cm x 12 cm (oval), inner seeds 6-7 cm diametres.

From the tree and leaves, i cant differ from other Pholidocarpus, only fruit size. 

12809642_237849989883442_231656788266397

12806249_237849976550110_820976181968391

12321643_237849973216777_757162071506036

12814452_237849966550111_305179454586347

• Upvote 1

email: tks4ady@gmail.com

facebook: sumatra exotics

interesting species of palm.

those fruits are really big. are they edible? 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Would love to see the palms they came off.  Photos?  When they do seed, how many seeds are there?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

#John, no local ppl eat this bro.

#Tracy, many fruit, the tree is very like other Pholidocarpus,  fan leaves. but this one s taller.

email: tks4ady@gmail.com

facebook: sumatra exotics

2 hours ago, adynepenthes said:

#John, no local ppl eat this bro.

#Tracy, many fruit, the tree is very like other Pholidocarpus,  fan leaves. but this one s taller.

Who's John?:blink:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 3/25/2016, 10:36:49, adynepenthes said:

Hi,

I found Pholidocarpus sp that not far ( 80 km to northwest from Pholidocarpus sumatranus data location). the fruit is really huge (coconut size), larger than other Pholidocarpus from North sumatra, oval shape , maximal size fruit about 15cm x 12 cm (oval), inner seeds 6-7 cm diametres.

From the tree and leaves, i cant differ from other Pholidocarpus, only fruit size. 

Great photos of the fruit. Specimens of Pholidocarpus are very rare here in S. Florida, and we are lucky to see small plants and containerized juveniles of one or two species. We can only dream about a mature fruiting tree.

- One photo of a Pholidocarpus macrocarpus in the collection of Forum member Mike Harris (waykoolplantz). It was taken about three years ago during a palm society tour of his garden. It was one of the largest examples of the genus I had seen up to that point. The epithet 'macrocarpus' does mean 'large fruited' and the species is native to Sumatra. Seems like a very vague attempt at ID'ing the fruit without more evidence, seeing that we here in S. FL. are fortunate just to see plants of this size.

DSC_0723.jpg

I hope the seed germinate for you, regardless of their identity.

Ryan

South Florida

• 7 years later...

I know that this thread is as old as the hills, but I'm responding anyway.

There's a mature (and very large) Pholidocarpus sp. at Pinecrest Gardens in the MIami area. I just learned that the seed was wild collected and planted in the 1970s. The palm is an impressive and beautiful monster, sort of midway between an enormous Livistona and a Talipot in size. It regularly fruits. 

Pholidocarpus4.jpg

• Like 1