IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

hydriastele pinangoides

User00

Very nice, wish they liked the cooler climate here.  Pete   :) 

20160721_092939.jpg

did you try this, i think it will grow there

this palm grow well in good shade and highland climate here , not doing well in light and hot climate

Edited by User00

Just now, Pedro 65 said:

Very nice, wish they liked the cooler climate here.  Pete   :) 

20160721_092939.jpg

did you try this, this palm grow well in good shade and highland climate here , not doing well in light and hot climate , pot palms seeds to place inside during hot days

i think it will grow there,  use  large pots  you can keep inside house if your inter is too cold fir this palm  

Edited by User00

8 minutes ago, User00 said:

did you try this, this palm grow well in good shade and highland climate here , not doing well in light and hot climate , pot palms seeds to place inside during hot days

i think it will grow there,  use  large pots  you can keep inside house if your inter is too cold fir this palm  

Yes , I have tried it a few times, and remember you are'nt far from the Equator, Im 28 deg Sth, Im not into dragging pots inside to keep em alive, if they cant handle it outside, its a lesson learnt :)    Pete

• Upvote 1

A beautiful palm! I have some small ones that need a year or so more growth before I plant them out.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

They look awesome when a mature 4m clump with 30+ trunks

Can never find the pix when I want .. gron.pinang2.jpg.48043d455462d68c22d9b2f

• Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

This is another species that everyone (living in an appropriate climate) should make room for one or several! No care at all needed for this one under my conditions in shade.

Thanks so much for the lovely photos User00!

Sudden a downpour here prevents more planned farm clearing today, BUT some new month's data to blow on PalmTalk!

I actually walked specifically down to this palm recently (in response to this thread) for a new photograph so here goes.

Note: I included a larger view showing an area I do not ever plan to clear except for a single file walking trail and a bit around each palm. Oh, and the overhanging overly exuberant torch gingers and bananas and heliconias and African tulips.

I guess lots of work/fun here too, huh?

DSCN3733.thumb.jpg.0295e0750b674d2b99da1 

DSCN3734.JPG

DSCN3736.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Beautiful palm...alas, will have to admire it in someone elses location, not to it's liking here.:(

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Just now, Cindy Adair said:

This is another species that everyone (living in an appropriate climate) should make room for one or several! No care at all needed for this one under my conditions in shade.

Thanks so much for the lovely photos User00!

Sudden a downpour here prevents more planned farm clearing today, BUT some new month's data to blow on PalmTalk!

I actually walked specifically down to this palm recently (in response to this thread) for a new photograph so here goes.

Note: I included a larger view showing an area I do not ever plan to clear except for a single file walking trail and a bit around each palm. Oh, and the overhanging overly exuberant torch gingers and bananas and heliconias and African tulips.

I guess lots of work/fun here too, huh?

DSCN3733.thumb.jpg.0295e0750b674d2b99da1 

DSCN3734.JPG

DSCN3736.jpg

look like it's natural habitat ,

Thanks to this thread, I experienced another 'Duh" moment. 

I acquired two palms about six years back as H. affinis and they have been happily growing in the garden. I always thought they were the same and also wondered what the difference between H. affinis and H. pinangoides as they seemed so similar. So, out in the garden I finally took a close look and 'whalaa' I believe I have one of each. H. pinangoides has a much smaller habit and the terminal leaflets are small and almost circular. H. affinis is much more robust, taller, and the terminal leaflets are much larger and not so circular. Definitely a difference. 

That's my observation anyhow. Here are a few photos. I just fertilized, so they are still a bit yellow. 

The first is H. pinangoides. 

Tim

P1030333.jpg

P1030337.jpg

P1030340.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are some shots of H. affinis. 

In the last photo, the H. pinangoides is center left, the H. affinis center right.  To the far left is H. flabellata and on the right is H. kasesa.

Tim

P1030336.jpg

P1030339.jpg

P1030335.jpg

P1030334.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 years later...

To date (Aug. 24, 2018) only three of the odd-looking Hydriastele pinangoides seeds I got a couple of months ago from RPS have sprouted, but that's enough for me. As this is a relatively small-scale palm, I should be able to grow it in a pot in my sunroom for years. ^_^

Hydriastele_pinangoides2018.png

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2018, 2:56:41, Hillizard said:

To date (Aug. 24, 2018) only three of the odd-looking Hydriastele pinangoides seeds I got a couple of months ago from RPS have sprouted, but that's enough for me. As this is a relatively small-scale palm, I should be able to grow it in a pot in my sunroom for years. ^_^

What is the medium your using to sprout those?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

On 8/27/2018, 8:26:09, palmislandRandy said:

What is the medium your using to sprout those?

Just a commercial potting mix with a top layer of Sphagnum moss to maintain moisture and suppress fungal growth. I put the container in a plastic bag that gets direct morning sun for a few hours each day in my sunroom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018, 11:56:41, Hillizard said:

To date (Aug. 24, 2018) only two of the odd-looking Hydriastele pinangoides seeds I got a couple of months ago from RPS have sprouted, but that's enough for me. As this is a relatively small-scale palm, I should be able to grow it in a pot in my sunroom for years. ^_^

Here's a picture I just took of my RPS-sourced seeds. Steady progress with these two H. pinangoides that I may pot out soon. And still hopeful the other seeds will germinate.:hmm:

Pinangoides.png

• Upvote 1

I had acquired this palm as h. Flabellata but it is starting to look more like pinangoides.. what do you all think?

20180916_070953.jpg

20180916_070931.jpg

It looks like a h. Flabellata to me. The leaf on yours  seem larger than than the pinanganoides. But I would like to hear the opinions of people with more experience than me.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2018, 12:14:28, Hillizard said:

Here's a picture I just took of my RPS-sourced seeds. Steady progress with these two H. pinangoides that I may pot out soon. And still hopeful the other seeds will germinate.:hmm:

Pinangoides.png

Here's an updated image below of the two seedlings that sprouted from my RPS order last year. I'm keeping them in a plastic bag in my unheated sunroom and they appear to be handling the daily temperature variations, although growth has slowed down considerably. I'll pot them up in the spring.

Hydriastele.png

• 6 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 12:14 PM, Hillizard said:

Only one of my Hydriastele pinangoides  survived the winter in my unheated sunroom, but it's looking robust and doing well this summer. It will likely spend it's entire life indoors in a pot, but since it's a relatively small-scale palm, that should be possible.

Hydriastele_pinangoides2019.png

• Like 1