IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Orania ravaka

colin Peters

Anyone growing this?  Want to keep it in pot until it orientates to "fan shape", and can plant accordingly.  Super fast here,  going to bump up

to a 25 gallon soon.  favorite beverage container for scale.

aloha

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3920_2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lucky you. Had one once, many moons ago. It is/was super slow here. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I just put a 1 gallon in ground but they told me it was trispatha.  I will post pics when I get off work

• Like 1

Thanks Len,  wanta get a few more from floribunda, when available .  Be cool to have a few in a row.  Got this as a one gallon, just couple years ago.  Most Orania do

extremely well here,  with added water. 

aloha

Yours looks great Colin! I have the same palm, but bought from Floribunda as Orania Trispatha.  Bought as a 4" a year or so ago and now rooted into a 3 gallon pot.  I actually plan on planting it this week, although I wish I knew in which directions the distichous fronds would grow before I planted it out.   I guess I'll just take my chances.  

IMG_1731.thumb.JPG.8e15897c6f5855354c484a16c345f92b.JPG

IMG_1732.thumb.JPG.a5d1defe89b9d169a6bcdfffd54e6a50.JPG

Here's the parent plant at Floribunda:

IMG_1229.thumb.JPG.9fa3b5030fd161750d51be0769a595f3.JPG

That's an Irriartea on the left, under it, just to give some idea of how big this Orania is! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's an Orania that I bought as Ravaka from another nursery here on the Big Island.  But I'm starting to think that is is Orania Longisquama based on pictures I've seen online.  

IMG_1733.thumb.JPG.e7f4b1e95966f26a19abb4d24ce95d3b.JPG

IMG_1734.thumb.JPG.5266e4e78e06073f88e5f46bb51409f2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's a photo of what I believe is Orania Ravaka (or Trispatha?) growing at a lodge in the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar where I stayed with Len on a trip in 2016.  This was my first time seeing one of these and really impressed me! 

IMG_7248.thumb.JPG.54f135d8d85c1c01e693b88bb5e69844.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nice Jason, looks like full sun is ok for them as they mature. Never seen a small O. longisquama, but there is a very large seeding one at Lyon, hidden in the jungle. 

That one that you think is longsquama does look different the others. 

Here is the base shot I took of either ravaka or trispatha at floribunda, a few months back.

aloha

IMG_3298.jpg

• Like 2

Always loved this genus, but can’t really grow them in our part of the world. Too bad for us!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I had a decent near 10 gal size that I planted and it was right before (a few months) a pretty cold winter. It looked dead soon after. I ignored it for probably a year...just part of the weeds. Then started pushing a spear again... got about 12" long and a gopher realised I did not cage it so ate right through it... :( 

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This is an Orania Ravaka I purchased from Floribunda as a 5g in May 2013.  It's now about 12 feet tall.

Mike Arends

Leilani Estates

Aug_16,_2019_038.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 2:34 PM, Hilo Jason said:

Here's a photo of what I believe is Orania Ravaka (or Trispatha?) growing at a lodge in the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar where I stayed with Len on a trip in 2016.  This was my first time seeing one of these and really impressed me! 

IMG_7248.thumb.JPG.54f135d8d85c1c01e693b88bb5e69844.JPG

Ahhh memories :) That was Trispatha, I do believe.

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The one I planted us just coming out of its ugly phase.  I planted it in full sun 

20190817_055815.jpg

Here's one growing at the mouth of a languid steam in Masoala, Madagascar. Have no idea if it's in-situ or not, but I'd like to think so. There were others around, so maybe. 

Tim

IMG_0846.jpg

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Call me the Orania kid (on the windward side of Hawaii Island). In 2014, I went to Floribunda and asked Jeff if he had a planting size Orania. He came up with an O. ravaka, a Madagascar species, which went right into the ground. Here it is today (with the 5-gal orange bucket and I KNOW the grass needs mowing):

2002626211_Oraniaravaka_2_MLM_081719.thumb.JPG.f90bd0037f86c5052fb11d622b3dd940.JPG

Floribunda has been the source of all of my Orania purchases. I acquired two tiny sylvicolas (SE Asia) the next year. One went into the ground when it reached planting size.  A few months ago, I put a trispatha (Madagascar) and two palindans (Indo-Pacific region) in the ground as they reached planting size. My Orania decipiens (Philippines) is planting size, but I still need to find a place for it. And my two small longisquamas (Madagascar) are a very recent purchase.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Can anyone tell me what this one is - from Floribunda several years ago?

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

18 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Can anyone tell me what this one is - from Floribunda several years ago?

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Dean - I’m thinking that looks a lot like the Trispatha that Colin and I have, just much bigger. And really really nice looking!  It’s that reddish color that makes me feel that way. 

I stopped by Bill Austin’s garden yesterday and took a couple photos of some of his Orania. 

I believe he bought these first 2 as Trispatha but is unsure if they are since they are not going distichous yet. But based on some of the photos I’m seeing this could happen later on still. 

F15102C6-F032-4378-A058-208D3B5A5824.thumb.jpeg.cef5db29bdba856d0db13594a893db82.jpeg

14243618-D532-4E7F-AB7A-4694622FD2B6.thumb.jpeg.a1de925d46db254df6671ec9db9ac2e8.jpeg

and then this one looks somewhat like the one I am growing that has the white coloring on the petioles:

473C03FF-301A-4304-A7ED-94E264724D47.thumb.jpeg.21a01e9d4bdb43bc566dc7103b5bbb35.jpeg

Wow everyone, Tim, Dean and of course Billʻs Orania are doing great. Iʻm thinking I might just put mine in the ground

since even in a 25 gallon pot it probably will not show "fan" orientation.  Such a beautiful genus. Obiviously likes water, by

looking at the one in Timʻs photo of it by that lake or stream. Next time I am at Lyon Iʻll take a pic of the huge longisquama in

the jungle. 

much aloha

Colin 

• Like 1