IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Iguanura elegans

Jeff Searle

Over a month ago, I was looking at my only Iguanura elegans out in the shadehouse. When I looked up close, I noticed a couple of very small roots( approx. 1" long) that were coming out off the trunk and above the soil line, known as prop roots. This was due to all the rain we were having.

I started to think, if I put an air layer on the trunk,this would be a great way to produce a second plant. Even though you would take this plant away from the clump, you still have other suckers coming up to produce more plants.  I was very confident that once the roots grew into the sphagnum moss, I could cut the palm away and remove it,and then pot it up into a pot of soil. So here's the airlayer that was put on and was left there for about 3 weeks.

post-23-1185239910_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

An upclose look at the airlayer.

post-23-1185240005_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

After the airlayer was on for about 2 weeks, I opened the foil up to inspect the roots. As you can see, they have started to really grow out into the moss.

post-23-1185240134_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

By the third week, I knew the roots were well established enough that I could now cut and remove the plant. When I potted it up, I decided to place in my mist house. I figured with the 100% humidity, any transpiration loss, and very little uptake of water through it's new roots would be very minimal. I kept in there for about 5 days.

post-23-1185240581_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is now my second ,new, Iguanura elegans. :D This picture was taken a month ago or so, and is well established.

Jeff

post-23-1185240763_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great work on that Jeff! I tried air layering with some of my tropical bamboo to no avail. The Marlins really whooped up the Reds didn't they, but then again who hasn't this year!

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Jeff, good work. But it seems to take a very long time to do that. Why not just buy more of that plant itself? I have a great connection with a guy in Cameroon I could set you up with.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Kewl Man!!!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nice work Jeff!  3 weeks for the air layer wrap isn't long at all.  Shouldn't you be running a nursery?  Stop diddling with your privates collection and get back to work.

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Gbarce @ Jul. 24 2007,09:09)

Neat trick!  That should be included in a book.

Maybe a short little "blip" in one of the journals coming up .

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Just wondering if all clustering species would react the same way?

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Three weeks is a VERY short time for an air layer. It often takes my Jade Vine air layers 2-3 months to make enough roots to support removing a section of vine.

I had an Iguanura elegans, it was a teeny tiny seedling. Unfortunately I lost it. Yours is very beautiful.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

• 6 years later...

Jeff - did you ever get to put plant one at home? I really love this genus but have been reluctant to try them. I fear that they would not appreciate my soil.

Your garden has a lower pH soil, especially after all those years of continued mulching,

You are an air layering machine :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B