IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Basselinia humboldtiana

quaman58

Hey all,

My next door neighbor has always just plugged his seedlings from Floribunda and others as soon as he gets them. Sometimes,  it's a predictable recipe for disaster. But he has a pretty good overall success rate.  I was walking by this morning and noticed this little gem, looking happy as a clam,  about six years from a teeny seedling.  Is anyone else growing this one? I killed mine .  Thanks for looking! 

IMG_1545.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Brett, that Basselinia looks great, I was kind of surprised it is growing so well in SoCal, although I probably shouldn’t have been. 

I’ve got a couple, slow to start, but picking up speed. They always look good and are virtually insect and pest free. The specimen at FB is one stunning palm.

Tim

81F09B88-1FAE-485D-A9E4-08BF16FD016C.jpeg

C5AD0FB1-9F20-4792-89C2-CC40B527680A.jpeg

A409166A-14BB-49ED-857C-C88D6DADD8BA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow Tim, those look great! If I didn't know what it was, I would assume Rhopalostylis. A lot of those Basselinias in habitat have that same very upright shuttlecock look. The collection at FB is incredible.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Great looking  palm Tim. Mine grew well very and was holding about 5 fronds for about 2-1/2 years until our cat ripped out my irrigation and flooded this palm. The drip line was buried under mulch. Time to start over

Like Tim said, these are trouble free growers for us. Here are a few photos of the one I was lucky to get. 

It’s about 7 feet tall. The potted palms on the ground give some scale as they are 3 gallon pots. 

A1EDA77F-3623-4C39-A2CA-8C5C9774DA47.thumb.jpeg.13134dfe48f816961c365542bcf6d0a1.jpeg

CBCAFD52-8870-4D05-80C5-D01CC35A923E.thumb.jpeg.331b37ac61854d95620d03c6551a5e69.jpeg

45572BD7-EE8D-4B4C-952D-4DEB28BBD58D.thumb.jpeg.2458f2584d38dbef1de2981ac99eecc4.jpeg

• Like 3

I am also like your neighbor.  I plant out FB 4"inch and 1 gallons straight away.  If they survive I have multiples.

I don't have a greenhouse.  Leaving things in pots for me hasn't worked as well.

As the years go by I have more canopy.  Albeit slower growing I am guessing a 75% success rate Especially with New Cals and Dypsis.

This is my Basselinia Humboldtiana from same FB offering.  Spear Marked December 21st.

You can see an FB 4 inch Basselinia Pancheri next to it planted out last Spring.

Len's is really nice. Grown big in greenhouse and planted out acclimated.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 3