IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is This Licuala fordiana?

joe_OC

Trying to identify this Licuala.  Your help would greatly be appreciated.

846811517_Licualafordiana.jpeg.0ece5ac59353a4982c64cff1e8c4b598.jpeg

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Looks like one, Joe. I have one too and it looks the same. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

13 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

How does L fordiana perform in your temperate climate Jim? I’ve always been on the lookout for this one due to its reported cool hardiness, but never seen it available here. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Looks reminiscent of what I bought as fordiana Joe.

Slow for us Tim but that's an occupational hazzard when you grow palms without much heat.  Always looks pretty happy and free of the dreaded brown tips! 

IMG_2678.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, richnorm said:

Looks reminiscent of what I bought as fordiana Joe.

Slow for us Tim but that's an occupational hazzard when you grow palms without much heat.  Always looks pretty happy and free of the dreaded brown tips! 

IMG_2678.JPG

Woah that’s awesome! Who cares if it’s slow growing when it looks as perfect as that, nice job Rich. I have to try to get my hands on one. 

I assume L fordiana require a fair bit of shade? Searching for extra heat, I made the mistake of putting my L peltata sumawongii and L ramsayi in morning to midday sun on an east facing wall. Fried them. The sumawongii is no more and the ramsayi may never recover. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

1 hour ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Woah that’s awesome! Who cares if it’s slow growing when it looks as perfect as that, nice job Rich. I have to try to get my hands on one. 

I assume L fordiana require a fair bit of shade? Searching for extra heat, I made the mistake of putting my L peltata sumawongii and L ramsayi in morning to midday sun on an east facing wall. Fried them. The sumawongii is no more and the ramsayi may never recover. 

Hard to tell as I only have one which is in dappled light. I would love to have more to experiment.   Lanonia dasyantha seems trouble free and can take a bit of sun.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:40 PM, joe_OC said:

Trying to identify this Licuala.  Your help would greatly be appreciated.

846811517_Licualafordiana.jpeg.0ece5ac59353a4982c64cff1e8c4b598.jpeg

On 3/25/2021 at 3:22 AM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Question to both of you, have you had them long and how are they performing?  Jim is yours in the ground yet and what sort of placement if so?  It is the smaller in fill plants that I have room for now.  Not really any spots for canopy producing plants until I have to remove an existing plant(s) so this looks like a nice candidate for the understory spots.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

Question to both of you, have you had them long and how are they performing?  Jim is yours in the ground yet and what sort of placement if so?  It is the smaller in fill plants that I have room for now.  Not really any spots for canopy producing plants until I have to remove an existing plant(s) so this looks like a nice candidate for the understory spots.

Tracy - Should do well for you in shade.  Len has a nice planting of them in his courtyard.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 7:26 AM, Tracy said:

These are tough palm mine gets sun til about 1130 am . It was  greener in more shade. Been  in  the ground around 6yrs? from a I gallon. I Just noticed it is holding onto 2 unripe seeds.

20210405_170955.jpg

20210405_164301.jpg

20210405_164156.jpg

20210405_164823.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, akamu said:

These are tough palm mine gets sun til about 1130 am . It was  greener in more shade. Been  in  the ground around 6yrs? from a I gallon.

Thank you for the "intel" Adam.  Looks like something I should start trying to find.  Also something that others in our area should consider as an understory addition if they haven't already planted it.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

11 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Thank you for the "intel" Adam.  Looks like something I should start trying to find.  Also something that others in our area should consider as an understory addition if they haven't already planted it.

Licuala is such a cool genus right now my favorite of the 7 species I am growing is the licuala distans great grower in deep shade. 20210405_174213.thumb.jpg.27976e5c195625a8f5a88a47f2bf2bf6.jpg

• Like 3