IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal mexicana

SubTropicRay

The downtown Tampa Publix Greenwise supermarket has installed gorgeous landscaping.  Included in the mix is what I believe to be Sabal mexicana.  Never having seen this species up close, I was very impressed.

Picture 5.jpg

Picture 6.jpg

• Like 2

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

There are a lot of wild sabal mexicanas close to where I live but that palm doesn't look like a sabal mexicana to me

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Palmpedia has photos of both Sabal mexicana and S. bermudana that include short, stout plants.  The Sabal bermudana I've seen are more robust than these but Palmpedia has photos of smaller and stout specimens as well.  I've never seen S.  mexicana in person.

From Palmpedia:

"Sabal mexicana (the Texas plant was formerly separated as Sabal texana): Increasingly, it is being used in landscapes in Texas. It looks similar to S. palmetto but is shorter, tends to have a stouter trunk and has a larger fruit that also has a flattened sperical shape." 

• Like 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I do not know what that is but it is one stout Sabal!

What you look for is what is looking

177149838_Sabalmex4.thumb.jpg.ba7e351d2b92e7744ba9eb48fc25d893.jpg

5 hours ago, SubTropicRay said:

Palmpedia has photos of both Sabal mexicana and S. bermudana that include short, stout plants.  The Sabal bermudana I've seen are more robust than these but Palmpedia has photos of smaller and stout specimens as well.  I've never seen S.  mexicana in person.

From Palmpedia:

"Sabal mexicana (the Texas plant was formerly separated as Sabal texana): Increasingly, it is being used in landscapes in Texas. It looks similar to S. palmetto but is shorter, tends to have a stouter trunk and has a larger fruit that also has a flattened sperical shape." 

Below is a pic I just took 10 minutes ago of Sabal mexicana currently flowering.  They tend to keep the old leaf boots quite a while.  This particular palm has at least 15' of trunk.  Palm photo above I took at the Mexican border in habitat.

IMG_20220620_152141.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, Xenon said:

Doesn't look like a Sabal mexicana at all imo. Maybe S. bermudana?

I thought the same thing.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

On 6/20/2022 at 10:48 AM, SubTropicRay said:

From Palmpedia:

Sabal Mexicana is not really shorter than Palmetto at mature height.  I have seen some very tall old Mexicana in the San Antonio area.  The trunk is a little stouter, and the crowns are a little bigger than Palmetto.  That is the main difference.

Edited by NBTX11

4 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

Sabal Mexicana is not really shorter than Palmetto at mature height.  I have seen some very tall old Mexicana in the San Antonio area.  The trunk is a little stouter, and the crowns are a little bigger than Palmetto.  That is the main difference.

By my observation, vs palmetto, mexicana is overall more robust, thicker trunk, larger leaves, darker green leaves or at least a noticeably different shade of green,  a larger, more open crown does not give it the lollipop look of palmetto. The tallest mexicana I’ve seen (including in habitat and others here that are as big as any in habitat) are as tall as any palmetto that is commonly seen even in Florida , however, boy I’ve seen some palmetto habitat photos on this forum with some shockingly tall palmetto, as tall as a very tall W robusta. I think the tallest palmetto outstretch the tallest mexicana by a decent margin as far as I’ve been able to ascertain. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

My Mexican is thick and not self cleaning.  This was 2 years ago.

Sabal mexicana-20200417_125158.jpg

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Here are some nice size mexicana here in town, especially those two in the top pic, the group in the bottom pic, actually quite a large group but you can’t see the rest of them are more average for tall ones if that makes sense. All of these look very different than the original one at the top of the post, I agree it is probably not mexicana. 

E8E7EC4C-405C-4875-8830-2774DA027E1E.thumb.jpeg.3d9bb969ce72d84660f0301679f3213a.jpeg986F0724-6D2E-4003-8F7A-E49CB4E2912E.thumb.jpeg.11f4c540e2452e8b8ad6db00e0fa90d1.jpeg

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

To be honest the mexicana look pretty much like palmetto. There are huge variations of palmetto here. I’ve seen some that have huge crowns and robust trunks, others are spindly with little crowns. The old growth ones are as tall as Washingtonia if they somehow have dodged lightning over the years. Sabals are hard to ID from what I’ve seen on this forum over the years. 

Edited by ruskinPalms
Error

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B