IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum hoehnei…Anyone Else Growing This Palm?

Jim in Los Altos

I planted three tiny seedlings a year and a half ago in my backyard and they have grown at a rapid rate. Anyone else growing this palm? I’d love to see some mature ones. Lytocaryum hoehnei AKA Syagrus hoehnei. 
IMG_5270.thumb.jpeg.20e69ede556c1a72595af3e064fa9068.jpeg

IMG_5269.thumb.jpeg.6fcf99e0d731e73f0719675103bbd26c.jpeg

IMG_5271.thumb.jpeg.301b6e88ba80d34eb5dff2837b08eacb.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I am/was, but it’s on death’s doorstep. It’s never really been happy here for some reason. Yours look great!

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I’d try one if I could find one. It’s on my bucket list of palms I’d really like to give a shot. 

your’s looks fantastically well grown, par for the course 👏

Wow a year and a half from a seedling. That's really fast. I've had mine from a 1gal a year ago and yours seems like it's the same size as mine.

Any native German speakers reading this thread ?  Here is an internet pronunciation, but I was told by a retired German chemist that the first syllable has sort of an 'r' sound as well.  

https://www.howtopronounce.com/german/hoehne

I will post an image of my plants on Sunday.    

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

How ever you pronounce it, they’re a purty small palm. 

Lots of water, but so cute. Instead of an 800 pound gorilla, a 1 pound baby, with that dark green and silver reverse on the leaves.

image.thumb.jpg.86b7c93bcb25b3ae5e4baff4de777573.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Boo yeah!

Just keep Sancho at a distance.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have a few (I think 12 actually) with a couple that are flowering.  Still trying to find what part of the yard they like best. The larger ones were purchased from MB palms in Orlando as three gallons and the smaller ones Floribunda as seedlings two years ago

20231224_082152.thumb.jpg.219a89a29bd326e1f80200c8e38e3340.jpg

20231224_082156.thumb.jpg.0afd53778e7ed5895ba26b774c5b2c48.jpg

20231224_082231.thumb.jpg.5078fcca77b1c629cad9fc2ef52722bb.jpg

20231224_082241.thumb.jpg.37432c250e7b4f13500bf6410f92d3e3.jpg

20231224_082309.thumb.jpg.a21d357849f3362cb96c5aa573aa048a.jpg

20231224_082334.thumb.jpg.c9cf54806a36585d08702696bf384fc7.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Can you find the L. hoehnei in this photo? 🙂 Planted 2/2021, photo taken almost exactly 2 years later, it is dwarfed by the Welfia behind it. Carefree palm in Hawaii.

Syagrus.hoehnei21323.thumb.JPG.484a64a4f93584b28e4607d200da6acc.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

@Scott W I have the same issue with mine, bought from Floribunda as 4 inchers 2 years ago.  They seem to want to yellow out even in a shady area with no PM sun.  I can only guess that they really want to be in the ground, or maybe they are nitrogen hogs?  I do know that mine (Hoehnei and Weddellianum) didn't like being in full AM sun.  I may try planting one in the overhang of my front porch, and see if 100% shade is a good choice for Central Florida.

@Darold Petty I struggled with the pronunciation of that too, and it didn't even occur to me that it's a German word and "Anglicized" spelling.  In German it would originally be Höhnei.  It's named after Frederico Carlos Hoehne, who was a Brazilian botanist...but the surname's ancestry Höhne is North German.  So as a best guess typing it out would be pronounced her-nee-i.  That's kind of like "hernia"...but different.  :D 

• Like 1

Can't wait for mine to gain some size, slow pace for me as you can see. I like the small amount of room needed for them and the silver undersides.

20231224_090729.jpg

20231224_090813.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

@Scott W I

@Darold Petty I struggled with the pronunciation of that too, and it didn't even occur to me that it's a German word and "Anglicized" spelling.  In German it would originally be Höhnei.  It's named after Frederico Carlos Hoehne, who was a Brazilian botanist...but the surname's ancestry Höhne is North German.  So as a best guess typing it out would be pronounced her-nee-i.  That's kind of like "hernia"...but different.  :D 

Yes, the man I referenced pronounced it like herh-nee-i, with sort of a 'clipped' second 'h'.    :greenthumb:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

2 hours ago, Merlyn said:

@Scott W

My German is VERY BAD.  But my Munchen born father told me German vowels are pronounced like Hawaiian vowels.  So the "O" is oh, the "E" would be a.  After that I get lost.  Where did the "r" come from? 

I one in the ground for a year.  Let me go check it out.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

2 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

My German is VERY BAD.  But my Munchen born father told me German vowels are pronounced like Hawaiian vowels.  So the "O" is oh, the "E" would be a.  After that I get lost.  Where did the "r" come from? 

I one in the ground for a year.  Let me go check it out.

It really isn't an "r" but it sounds slightly like it.  The "oe" is anglicized spelling of German o with an umlaut or "ö".  In pronunciation it's closer to "oe" than "oa", which is why the anglicized spelling is "oe."  And the "correct" pronunciation probably depends on your location in Germany too, since there are a lot of dialects.  You could probably get "huh-nee-i" or "hoh-nee-i" or "hur-nee-i" depending on where you lived.  And I'm appending a latin/english hard "i" to the end because it's a species descriptive name.  I'm by no means an expert in German either.  I'm going mostly by middle school/highschool German combined with visiting my brother in Germany (25+ years in the Stuttgart and München areas).  A native speaker may say it differently...paging @GottmitAlex!!!

• Like 1

"latin/english hard "i" to the end because it's a species descriptive name."  That's a GREAT point I didn't even think of.

My Hawaiian version would be something like:  Ho eh na  i   LOL

Forget that here are pictures planted out 5/22 as 1 gallon from FB under a spreading Monkey Pod tree and this morning.  Seems to be happy and growing.

Lytocaryumhoehnei-20220521_113208.thumb.jpg.8ece500ecdf3420595a138541786542c.jpgLytocaryumhoehnei-20231224_100811.thumb.jpg.0b3dc60f307d75ab85982cf75ec79835.jpg

As for Lytocaryum weddellianum here is 3 1/2 years.  It has flowered but I'm not sure about seeds.  Would they be very tiny?  Oh yea I'm sitting down in the last photo.  It's not really 6' tall.  LOL 

Lytocaryumweddellianum-20200705_115355.thumb.jpg.e22bceb5ad95bbde3ea4d55bbae6d119.jpgLytocaryumweddellianum-20231224_100231.thumb.jpg.24ad3ba9f5ab21040868921481269dd6.jpg

• Like 5

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Where's @Pal Meir@DAVEinMB has a couple in ground I believe. 

I got some weddelianum, insigne, and hoehnei from Floribunda last year and the year before.  The hoehnei have proved more resilient than the other species.  None of the others have survived my abuse. 

20231224_153940.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Any native German speakers reading this thread ?  Here is an internet pronunciation, but I was told by a retired German chemist that the first syllable has sort of an 'r' sound as well.  

https://www.howtopronounce.com/german/hoehne

I will post an image of my plants on Sunday.    

The German pronunciation in IPA is høːnə, the same as it would be written as Höhne. The Portuguese pronunciation may be different.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Nifty little palms and S. hoehnei, at least in my garden, has been a more robust grower than S. weddellianum.

Tim 

IMG_7092.jpeg

IMG_7096.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here’s another picture of my palm in the day time 

86955F88-3F1C-4585-99D0-22D0937BDF89.thumb.jpeg.3b2e82f3a65f3faafd8cc7a9fd8d117b.jpeg

And leaf reverses.

E55D628F-2F0D-4B5D-B18D-DD74CB2F620D.thumb.jpeg.37ab88ece78c67200047bc4ef18df86a.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@Jim in Los Altos here's one of my two l. hoehnei not super pretty but making it in sc 

20231001_203600.jpg

20231001_203613.jpg

Those look GORGEOUS to me! Maybe I’m easy to please.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, realarch said:

Nifty little palms and S. hoehnei, at least in my garden, has been a more robust grower than S. weddellianum.

Tim 

IMG_7092.jpeg

IMG_7096.jpeg

Wow!  that's HUGE.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae