Boboh

IR1 visa refused, 221(g) issued

30 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. 
I had my IR1 visa interview on 10th of August 2022, in US embassy in Lagos Nigeria, my visa was refused, exactly what it’s shows on Ceac site, I was a bit confused and I have no idea what to do right now. I attached the 221(g) white paper that was given, it’s seems I am the only one on this. The consular asked me about 32 questions it’s scared me out and l wonder what’s the problem was. 

1D10EE92-B79C-46CD-A7A3-EA7912B4ECD5.jpeg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi there,

I'm sorry you experienced this but all hope is not lost. Just wait for your case to be returned to USCIS. The time frame can vary in the length of time it may take. Once USCIS has the notice, your petitioner will receive a NOIR( Notification of intentions not revoke), in the letter it should state the possible reason in which the consulate felt that they shouldn't give you the visa. Your petitioner would have to rebuttal each reason with evidence in proving your marriage is bonafide. Continue communication with your spouse and continue gathering evidence to better solicit your relationship. Best of luck! 

P.S: I had experience this same thing with my husband, take a look at my timeline on my page

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably be much longer than a few weeks

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Expect (even before covid) to not hear about the NOIR or NOID for 6 months

one requires a rebuttal of the issues/   the other offers a chance to appeal (takes over a year)

when the USC responds to the notice ,  the evidence needs to be actual proof not just a statement saying its not the case

When i received my notice i responded with dated emails and texts messages that supported my case 

Example: they asked him if i like to read and he said "yes"

they asked what books and he said " the classics"

the CO asked several times "what books?"  and he said all i know is she says "the classics"

i found the message where we discussed this plus talking about reading from the internet for research my mother needed for her Novel

they accepted my proof

but I had to provide this proof to an appeal /  i would not do an appeal again /  i would just reapply and cover the issues in a new application 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Boboh said:

Hello everyone. 
I had my IR1 visa interview on 10th of August 2022, in US embassy in Lagos Nigeria, my visa was refused, exactly what it’s shows on Ceac site, I was a bit confused and I have no idea what to do right now. I attached the 221(g) white paper that was given, it’s seems I am the only one on this. The consular asked me about 32 questions it’s scared me out and l wonder what’s the problem was. 

In what areas did the CO seem concerned?  I suspect he/she did not think your marriage is bona fide.  If so, the only cure is a LOT more time spent together..... such as living together as a legally married couple in Nigeria or some other country outside the US for a year or two.  However, the USCIS letter will explain the issues.

Good luck.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, Boboh said:

Hello everyone. 

Based on gut feeling of the questions asked, what do you think could be the reason you were refused?

Also, have you applied for a tourist visa or any other visa in past before?

4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Expect (even before covid) to not hear about the NOIR or NOID for 6 months

one requires a rebuttal of the issues/   the other offers a chance to appeal (takes over a year)

when the USC responds to the notice ,  the evidence needs to be actual proof not just a statement saying its not the case

When i received my notice i responded with dated emails and texts messages that supported my case 

Example: they asked him if i like to read and he said "yes"

they asked what books and he said " the classics"

the CO asked several times "what books?"  and he said all i know is she says "the classics"

i found the message where we discussed this plus talking about reading from the internet for research my mother needed for her Novel

they accepted my proof

but I had to provide this proof to an appeal /  i would not do an appeal again /  i would just reapply and cover the issues in a new application 

Thanks for the response I appreciate, please how long will be the waiting period according to the present backlog from uscis to the second interview? Will there be second interview? Will it be normal interview or just passport submission? 

3 hours ago, nastra30 said:

Based on gut feeling of the questions asked, what do you think could be the reason you were refused?

Also, have you applied for a tourist visa or any other visa in past before?

I can’t state any reason tho but there are some questions she asked which my answer made her raised her eyebrow like:

1. when was the last time I saw her, I answered December 2019 and she was surprised and said that was about 3 years ago, I answered yes that Covid was the major reason 

PS: I told her we had a plan she will be visiting this year on her birthday but my interview letter came earlier

2. your wedding came few months after the divorce absolute decree, why so soon? Co asked. 
ps: my divorce absolute decree was confirm on 22nd February 2019, I met my wife in 2016 while I was going through separation with my ex but there was no relationship between us until late February 2019, we finally got married in May 2019

3. she also asked if my kids are coming with me, I answered no, she asked if I know the home address of my ex wife, I answered no, I was shocked at this question 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boboh said:

Thanks for the response I appreciate, please how long will be the waiting period according to the present backlog from uscis to the second interview? Will there be second interview? Will it be normal interview or just passport submission? 

I think the last time I saw one was about 6 months before the petitioner was notified and then there has to be a response addressing the issues review etc.'

Covid as an excuse is getting a bit thin.

How much time have you spent previously, timeline seems a bit squashed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boboh said:

What second interview?  The case is being returned to USCIS.  It will, likely, be 6 months before the petitioner even gets the NOIR/NOID.  

1 hour ago, Boboh said:

3. she also asked if my kids are coming with me, I answered no, she asked if I know the home address of my ex wife, I answered no, I was shocked at this question 

Sounds like the CO doubts this is a sincere marriage.  The only cure is a LOT of time spent together.  Have you and your spouse discussed living in Nigeria for a year or two?   The fact that she hasn't visited you in almost 3 years is very significant, imho.  Very, very significant.  To be blunt, Covid is not a good excuse for a married couple to be separated that long, imo.   Frankly, I think beating this will be a long and expensive journey.  I wish and your spouse good luck.  Is she a member here on Visa Journey?  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boboh said:

I met my wife in 2016 while I was going through separation with my ex

How did you meet?  

6 hours ago, Boiler said:

I think the last time I saw one was about 6 months before the petitioner was notified and then there has to be a response addressing the issues review etc.'

Covid as an excuse is getting a bit thin.

How much time have you spent previously, timeline seems a bit squashed.

She has been here twice, each visit lasted for 2 weeks, she came in May 2019 also in Dec 2019, 

will the co have full information of how long she spent ? 

3 minutes ago, Boboh said:

I met her through my childhood friend, that live close to her and they both work in the same hospital. 

In person was that or online? Age gap?  How many times before the marriage did you saw her in person? Because your timeline is short after divorce. 

You started your relationship with her in February 2019, marry in May same year and the last visit was also 2019 December. 

Do you have joint account? Life insurance? Everything listing you or her as beneficiary?

Do you know your wife address or you just forgot on the interview ? This is a really simple question that any person would know.

5 minutes ago, Boboh said:

She has been here twice, each visit lasted for 2 weeks, she came in May 2019 also in Dec 2019, 

will the co have full information of how long she spent ? 

So, you married on the first visit, correct? Before that did you ever meet her in person? 

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.