Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiff Options Image Compression" None VS LZW "

Guide ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

When saving my Images as a Tiff Format, I choose the Image Compression: None. I heard using LZW is the same as None, but smaller File Size, without any Image Loss Quality. Is that True?

Which one you recommend

ThanksTiff Otion.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LZW is clearly not the same as NONE, but just like ZIP it is lossless compression (no data is discarded).

LZW has wider support in other applications, however, ZIP may provide better compression with less compatibility.

Lossy JPEG compression inside a TIFF is often avoided as it may not be obvious and multiple open/saves may degrade the image, whereas saving as a JPEG format file at least makes it obvious that JPEG lossy compression is naturally applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Stephen.

Thanks for the answer. Let's say I want to save the TIFF files inside my computer, and I have enough space, so technically there is no reason to go LZW. Then I should use None?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be safest, but I have never had any problems with LZW as a default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some of us prefer to never use any compression at all, because it extends open/save times. Not an issue for small files, but with really big files the impact can be dramatic - as in several minutes compressed vs. 15 seconds uncompressed.

LZW should not be used on 16 bit files. It was written for 8 bit data and doesn't work well with 16 bit data. Very often, it will just increase file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines