Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
I have noticed on some photos online of the Dual USB iBook G3s that the trackpad casing was not really white, more like a silver color. Well, I bought one on eBay and when it arrived, it was not the usual white I am used to on my G4 iBook, it is definitely a silver shade. I know the keyboards were different colors (G3 vs G4) but haven't ever ready anything about the casing being silver vs white. Another thing was the charger was a Yoyo style. This is a 600MHz G3 version BTW.

Anybody know whats up? Is this a normal model? Do I have a "rare" or collectable? That would be awesome as I did buy it for my PPC collection.

Dustin

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Some of the early white iBook didn't use white plastic, only a layer of white on the inside of a clear case.
Not an uncommon mod to remove that layer and either have a seethrough iBook or something funky.
Pictures would be nice.

Reactions: 1042686

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Some of the early white iBook didn't use white plastic, only a layer of white on the inside of a clear case.
Not an uncommon mod to remove that layer and either have a seethrough iBook or something funky.
Pictures would be nice.

I only have one at the moment, and will post more later this evening. It's not really noticable in this photo too much, but is in real life.

iBook Silver.jpg

Reactions: 1042686

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Looks more like the white color changing due to age or sunlight.
Looks like mine ... ;)
The "translucent" iBook-G3 came with a silver-colored "upper-case" and translucent-white keys - it looks especially nice. The later opaque iBook-G3 looks the same like the the iBookG4 but sports a smelly keyboard. Follow your nose :>/

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The 1st generation 500 and 600MHz iceBooks were all clear white/silver looking. They starting doing the opaque white later on when they introduced the 700MHz with the Radeon 7500.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Looks like mine ... ;)
The "translucent" iBook-G3 came with a silver-colored "upper-case" and translucent-white keys - it looks especially nice. The later opaque iBook-G3 looks the same like the the iBookG4 but sports a smelly keyboard. Follow your nose :>/
I discovered this smell at school due to it traveling to other people quickly and made me gag a few times. :(keyboard-less iBook G3 it is now

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
My iBook is definitely one that has the top (back of screen) and bottom (underside of laptop) that is the clear plastic with the layer of white underneath and it looks very clear still and beautiful. When the laptop is open, the top cover (palm rest and area surrounding the keyboard) is silverish in color, and VERY nice. While I was thrown off at first as I have ALWAYS seen iBooks in white only, it grew on me and I think it does look very sharp.

Anyways, iBook is running great with OS 9.2.2 on one partition and Tiger on another. Wanted to keep Panther instead but couldn't find a decent web browser for Panther. I had better luck using Classilla in OS 9 than I did on anything in Panther. It was a shame too because Tiger is much slower on this model and it is very noticeable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My iBook is definitely one that has the top (back of screen) and bottom (underside of laptop) that is the clear plastic with the layer of white underneath and it looks very clear still and beautiful. When the laptop is open, the top cover (palm rest and area surrounding the keyboard) is silverish in color, and VERY nice. While I was thrown off at first as I have ALWAYS seen iBooks in white only, it grew on me and I think it does look very sharp.

Anyways, iBook is running great with OS 9.2.2 on one partition and Tiger on another. Wanted to keep Panther instead but couldn't find a decent web browser for Panther. I had better luck using Classilla in OS 9 than I did on anything in Panther. It was a shame too because Tiger is much slower on this model and it is very noticeable.
I think Demeter will run in Panther. I was using Panther on our G5 at work until mid 2009.

Sheesh, sounds like I'm a shill for Demeter lately! :D

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The 1st generation 500 and 600MHz iceBooks were all clear white/silver looking. They starting doing the opaque white later on when they introduced the 700MHz with the Radeon 7500.

My 14" 700MHz also has a silver upper case. Came with a standard white square charger, though, although some of the early square chargers had a silver coloured jack.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Mine came with the yoyo silver charger, but I do know a friend who has a white brick style with the silver plug without the LED Ring on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.