Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conifers_gw

Larix mastersiana

conifers
17 years ago

I'd like to know a little more about this species. It's zonal compatibility and I'll leave the task to myself of locating one if it grows here. It's a nice-looking tree in its geographic range of north-central Skhuan. Real nice. Here are the links I came across.

Dax

Dendropress.com

Comments (15)

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

Ive only seen pics would be nice to get seed
    in I think one or two American nurserys grow
    it.Maybe Z5/Z6 hardy

• conifers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Perfect.

Which nurseries? I'm a googler. Yesterday I found I believe the U of South Carolina as having planted one in 2001. That's all I found for USA.

Thanks,

Dax

• pineresin
    17 years ago

I'd agree with likely zone 5/6 hardiness.

Resin

• kingn8
    17 years ago

Did that book ever come out yet? What is going on with it?

Nate

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

Dax

Check this out www.cistus.com

• conifers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you kindly Torreya (and others). Cool people there plant-wise.

Much appreciated...

Nate, It was supposed to be available this past January from what I recall. Can't say for sure though.

Dax

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

The book conifers from around the world
    I won't be able to put it down hope it
    comes out soon.

• ospreynn
    16 years ago

I can't find much about this tree. All I know is that it grows along the Min river, same river where Abies recurvata grows. Do they share same conditions or not. My guess is L. mastersiana grows at higher elevations. what is my succes rate for this?

osprey

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ain't sure but I have an a ton of seeds! Supposedly a pretty darn decent larch for my "midwest" climate. Same goes for, Larix principis-rupprechtii.

Dax

• pineresin
    16 years ago

The native range is in western Sichuan, at 2000-3500m altitude; yes, same area as Abies recurvata, and at similar altitudes, too.

I reckon well worth a try for both Osprey and Dax, as it combines remoteness from the sea (i.e., continental climate adaptation) with a fairly southerly origin (~32°N, so should have at least some heat tolerance).

The main uncertainty I have is how tolerant it will be of drought; I don't know how intense and reliable the summer monsoon is where it occurs. If it gets occasional monsoon failures in the wild, it will have to be drought tolerant; if it doesn't, it needn't be so.

Resin

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wants some seeds Osprey or seedlings?

Dax

• kim_dirtdigger
    16 years ago

Dax,

Here's a pic of the Prince Rupprecht Larch growing at Morton Arboretum taken July '07. Not a very good picture, but I remember being struck by what a cool tree it was. Seems to be growing good in your area.

Kim

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"Here's a pic of the Prince Rupprecht Larch growing at Morton Arboretum"

Here's Larix principis-rupprechtii, from Xiaowutai Shan, Hebei: Â Â Â ÂAnd for comparison, Larix gmelinii from Kamchatka and Magadan:

Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â

Better treated as a distinct species, than a variety of L. gmelinii!

Resin

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the initial suggestion Resin! Most of us wouldn't know where to start if it wan't for you!! Always appreciate the cone photos too, very much.

Regards,

Dax

P.s. Thanks a lot Kim!

• torreya-2006
    16 years ago

Dax

you got some Larix mastersiana seed in? I got some
    in and now have some seedlings.Also have L principsis
    seedlings now thats a nice tree.