Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardencpa

Pest problem - Hibiscus mutabilis

gardencpa
14 years ago

My confederate rose (hibiscus mutabilis) is about ten feet tall now but I have had hardly any blooms on it due to some kind of pest. Last year there was a little green worm that would eat a hole in each bud. This year I don't see the little guys but something is eating it. Also the buds are turning yellow and dropping off. Any ideas on what I should do? Here are some pictures:

Thanks for the input.

Melissa

Comments (7)

• gardendeb
    14 years ago

Hi. I have a similar problem with my tropical hibiscus. On mine, the leaves look healthy, but all the buds never mature and then just break off. I haven't seen a flower all summer.

I took an Exacto knife to one of the buds and examined it under a strong magnifying glass. It was full of tiny wriggling maggot thingies:

{{gwi:923613}}

I've read somewhere that Thrips do this. I figured maybe if I got rid of all the babies, the predators can take care of the adults (which I can't see), so I cut off every single bud, healthy or not on ALL my hibiscus, and threw them out with the trash. I picked up every fallen bud that I could find on the ground, as I'd read that that is how they grow into adult and start the cycle again.

I can't tell you yet if it worked, but I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can tell us what else can be done. I don't spray, so I'm looking for non-pesticide solutions.

Deb

• ginibee
    14 years ago

There's also a gall midge that attacks hibiscus and I am lucky to see one or two blooms at a time on all except the hanging type. They don't seem to affect them as much as the others. It's really sad and I hope that's not what you have and can clear it up. Here is a link to the gall midge.

Ginny

Here is a link that might be useful: Gall Midge

• ginibee
    14 years ago

Sorry, I was talking about the tropical hibiscus.

• gardencpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ginibee - I wonder if the confederate rose can get it too. I was not thinking the gall midges because of all of the holes chewed in the leaves. I have had to deal with them before on the regular hibiscus but don't remember the holey leaves.

Deb - those pictures are creepy! Looking at the link, I think you have gall midges. The cleaning up of the buds may just do the trick if you don't want to spray. I am going to have to look a bit closer at the buds to see. I may just treat it that way.

Any other ideas?

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

Your plant looks like insect damage has occurred . I am seeing very similar holes and chunks taken out of leaves . Here the larger bites are caused by grasshoppers - small green ones and medium green ones with brown wings .

I have also found caterpillars doing extensive damage to lots of ornamentals . I have seen tropical sod web worms , azalea caterpillars , crape myrtle caterpillars , green hornworms , the list goes on . They produce the smaller , round holes .

I sprayed with Insecticidal soap and that helped . I also used BT ( Bacillus Thurengiensis ) and earlier when it was a little cooler - Ultrafine Horticultural Oil I used a hose end sprayer each time . These sprays only work on contact when you can actually see the critter doing the damage . It does not work on grasshoppers .

As usual with the garden , there is no easy answer . I have a feeling time will take care of the damage by bringing us cooler weather and no more caterpillars .

Here is what UF says about your plant :

" The major insect pest of hardy hibiscus is the caterpillar-like larva of the hibiscus sawfly, (Atomacera decepta). Several of these larvae often feed on the same leaf or plant and can quickly defoliate the entire plant. Other pests include whiteflies, mealy bugs, grasshoppers and spider mites. The primary diseases are various leaf spots caused by Cladosporium, Cercospora, Phyllosticta and other fungi. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Hibiscus for Florida Landscapes

• gardendeb
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link, Ginibee. It looks like that may well be what I have.

Gardencpa, I'm wondering, though, if the holey leaves on yours could be caused by something else, and you also have the gall midge. The worms are tiny, so you might need magnification to see them.

LOL! They looked even creepier when they were all wriggling around.

Anyhow, tropical hibiscus and confederate rose are relatives (I think). You could research thrips, as that's what I originally thought mine were.

• gardencpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

deb - while that is a discouraging thought, you may just be right. I am going to cut the blooms off and bag them up. It is not like they are going to open anyway.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery