Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

HELP! Phyllosticta Leaf Spot (Phyllosticta minima

cindywhitall
8 years ago

I have a maple tree here is south jersey. I don't know it's official name, but the grower called it October Glory. It's leaves are smaller than the typical maple you see a lot of in neighborhoods. We planted it about 15 years ago, so it's probably 20 years old. It is taller than our 2 story house and very big and beautiful.

This is the second year it has fungus, and I think this year it is worse. We do rake up the leaves each year so we had hoped it wouldn't return, but we do have wooded areas near by. I think our second, newer tree has a touch of it this year as well.

I can't find anything that cleared tells how to treat it. It looks like a classic case of phyllosticta leaf spot (phyllosticta minima) based on the photos on the internet. Little spots with a darker ring around the edge and a bullseye dot in the middle. The leaves eventaully turn brown and fall off. The leave have may spot each.

What is the recommended treatment and how do I find someone who really knows what they are doing and not just someone who will take my $, spray with ?? and it doesn't work?

I think the tree is worth investing some $ into as there is not way to buy a tree this big. It has blown away the trees planted by the builder 20 years ago. (That is a google image, but it just like my tree's spots)

Comments (4)