• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Duck Goin Quackers: How many different games are there?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Another one of my "obscure old platformers" threads. I own Donald Duck Goin Quackers for GameCube and enjoyed it quite a bit and I was recommended the GBC game here lately. Now I've seen there's also a GBA game where at least IGN claims it's completely different. Also for the console versions I get conflicting reports on whether the games are identical or different. Most of the time I read the are almost exactly the same game, the most extreme counter position I've read is:
- PS1 is one game
- N64 / PC / DC is another game
- PS2 / GCN is another game

each with completely different level designs. Has someone here on trusty NeoGAF played more than one version of the console game and can tell me whether I should buy additional Donald Duck games or not ^^?

Doczu

Another one of my "obscure old platformers" threads. I own Donald Duck Goin Quackers for GameCube and enjoyed it quite a bit and I was recommended the GBC game here lately. Now I've seen there's also a GBA game where at least IGN claims it's completely different. Also for the console versions I get conflicting reports on whether the games are identical or different. Most of the time I read the are almost exactly the same game, the most extreme counter position I've read is:
- PS1 is one game

each with completely different level designs. Has someone here on trusty NeoGAF played more than one version of the console game and can tell me whether I should buy additional Donald Duck games or not ^^?

I can recommend you the Dreamcast version of the game. I haven't played the other versions (maybe the GBC in the old days), or the same game on the PC/N64, but from what i remember it's a very fun game.

Yoshi

If the DC/N64/PC version is another game than the GCN/PS2 version, I'll certainly buy either the Dreamcast version or the N64 version. Probably the Dreamcast version, considering Dreamcast should just be the technologically superior one (and probably also cheaper).

Do they all share the same plot? I know the Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands has completely different stories for each of its four versions.

Yoshi

Do they all share the same plot? I know the Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands has completely different stories for each of its four versions.

At least that's something all sources agree on: The story is identical and the world themes are, too.

I can confirm that N64 is same as PC except that N64 has in-engine cutscenes. I don't know about anything else, but quick look at YouTube suggests that PS2/NGC and PS1 have major differences. I'm not sure about PS2/NGC though.

There are also versions for GBC and GBA, which are obviously very different, and European versions have a different title most of the time.

harz-marz

I fondly remember Donald Duck: The Lucky Dime Caper on my Sega Master System. It was my first ever console game!

LuckyDimeCaper-SMS-EU.jpg

Son Of D

From what I found:

PS1/Dreamcast are mostly the same games but with different soundtracks. Dreamcast was lacking in special moves.
The N64 version has in-engine cutscenes and is apparently easier than the PS1/Dreamcast. It's also the worst looking 3D version. The final boss has different mechanics.
Gamecube and PS2 versions had different soundtracks. They also had differences in levels and bosses. Ending is different as well.
Game Boy Colour and GBA versions are 2D. GBA version has only one boss level.
European name for all versions (except GBA) was Quack Attack. GBA name was Donald Duck Advance.

It could be worth it to track them all(depending on prices and budget) and report your finds.

I really enjoy games that were cross-gen and on multiple consoles/handhelds since at least one of them must be a gem of some sort.

Yoshi

It could be worth it to track them all(depending on prices and budget) and report your finds.

I really enjoy games that were cross-gen and on multiple consoles/handhelds since at least one of them must be a gem of some sort.

It would be quite managable, DC and N64 version are 30€, PS1 & PS2 version are basically free (<5€ incl. shipping each), GCN and now GBC version I already own, GBA version is 10€, so it'd cost me 80€, but I'd much prefer if someone here just knew the answer. Considering there are so many industry people around, I'd hope there's at least someone who worked at Ubi at the time or reviewed the different versions and thus knows in detail.

daydream

Banned
i played the pc and ps2 versions, the former is vastly superior, for sure.

i should pick up the ps1 version sometime

The PS2 version was the first console game I ever owned. Really enjoyed it as a kid, I wonder if it still holds up since I don't think I ever beat it as a kid.

Yoshi

i played the pc and ps2 versions, the former is vastly superior, for sure.

i should pick up the ps1 version sometime
So the level design in the pc version is completely different from the one in the PS2 version? I'm quite sure GCN and PS2 are identical, so I'd definitely need to get a DC copy.

I fondly remember Donald Duck: The Lucky Dime Caper on my Sega Master System. It was my first ever console game!

LuckyDimeCaper-SMS-EU.jpg

Great game. I wish they put the sequel, Deep Duck Trouble, on Master System in the US. We only got it on Game Gear here. I've been looking to import and it's going for an insane amount on eBay.

Tizoc

From what I found:

PS1/Dreamcast are mostly the same games but with different soundtracks. Dreamcast was lacking in special moves.
The N64 version has in-engine cutscenes and is apparently easier than the PS1/Dreamcast. It's also the worst looking 3D version. The final boss has different mechanics.
Gamecube and PS2 versions had different soundtracks. They also had differences in levels and bosses. Ending is different as well.
Game Boy Colour and GBA versions are 2D. GBA version has only one boss level.
European name for all versions (except GBA) was Quack Attack. GBA name was Donald Duck Advance.

...in an alternate reality a Goin Quackers remake is made taking the best of all non-handheld games and making one essential ver. of it to play.

Bah god, now that's one game I'm now compelled to play all its versions...

Heard this is on the Rayman 2 engine, appropriate as that also came out on most of said systems with differences I believe also. Rayman 2 (aka Rayman Revolution) had more content and the best graphics IIRC, but the DC version was the smoothest at a crisp 60fps IIRC. The 3DS version was a poor port of the DC version, which wasn't the main reason even Ubisoft claimed it was the best rated because of the framerate? Well the 3DS version had a spotty framerate, so... mission accomplished... I guess...? :p

Would've loved to have played Goin Quackers earlier, maybe at the time I wasn't into Mickey games, maybe it's like that joke for Pokemon where you think you've outgrown it at like 13, then as an adult, you love it all over again! lol (that doesn't apply to me though as I loved Pokemon since day 1! :p)

I didn't know there was a Gamecube version. I have the N64 variant, and it's pretty bad. Well, it's not bad, but it's dull and the camera is pretty horrible in some parts of the game. I like it because it's Donald, and he's pretty awesome.

Santar

- PS1 is one game

There's info on the different versions here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/donaldduck/donaldduck5.htm

daydream

Banned
So the level design in the pc version is completely different from the one in the PS2 version? I'm quite sure GCN and PS2 are identical, so I'd definitely need to get a DC copy.

can't vouch for gcn or dc, but yeah, ps2 and pc absolutely are different

Crub

All versions consist of four worlds with the same themes of forest, city, ghost house and lava. The one exception to these themes is the final level of the GBC version which is unlocked once every collectible in the game has been gathered and takes place
on an alien planet

I have beaten the PS2/GC, GBC and GBA versions of the game. They are all pretty bad, honestly. I don't think anyone but a big-time Donal Duck fan should bother.

bwahhhhh

If the DC/N64/PC version is another game than the GCN/PS2 version, I'll certainly buy either the Dreamcast version or the N64 version. Probably the Dreamcast version, considering Dreamcast should just be the technologically superior one (and probably also cheaper).

I played the Dreamcast one, and it was an enjoyable enough, but short and not great, Crash Bandicoot clone. Pretty sure it was just a straight up-port of the N64 version. Better textures/framerate. The PS2 one I remember had significantly better graphics since I'm pretty sure it was a game built from the ground up for the DC/PS2/GCN gen, still a Crash Bandicoot style game, but the "sides" of the levels (on either side of the path) were much more open, graphically. ie, there was a lot of polygonal scenery. i didn't get to play it, though, so can't comment on how good it was.

NotLiquid

The N64 / PC / PS1 / DC version at least was a decent Crash Bandicoot clone. Can't speak for the versions on the PS2 and GC side.

As a side note I find it funny how the versions still had independent differences aside from just levels and such. The soundtrack for one thing was different in the N64, DC and PC version, and I wholly prefer that one. While the Playstation and Gamecube versions had a really well orchestrated, traditional Disney-esque soundtrack, the N64 and PC versions imo had the superior soundtracks. They were fantastically atmospheric. Contrast the cacophonous version of Magica's Manor in the PS/GC version to the more haunting, Rayman-esque version of the PC/DC/N64 version. The hub of that same world had one of the spookiest game tunes I'd heard. I never expected that out of a Donald Duck game.

I'm still looking for that soundtrack. It was really well made.

deleted

- PS1 is one game

Buy Donald Duck in Maui Mallard instead ;)

Yoshi

Buy Donald Duck in Maui Mallard instead ;)

Which one ;)? Mega Drive, SNES and GB seem to be different games. And it will not be instead. The PS1 version I have already ordered, GBC version should arrive today, Dreamcast version I have an eye on, though it is quite expensive.

Santar

Which one ;)? Mega Drive, SNES and GB seem to be different games. And it will not be instead. The PS1 version I have already ordered, GBC version should arrive today, Dreamcast version I have an eye on, though it is quite expensive.

Maui Mallard is the same game across formats, save for some tiny bits of change (tightened up level design/backgrounds) and the fact that the gb port is pretty downscaled as would be expected.
It's a nice colorfull platformer with lovely animation and a good soundtrack, I kinda like it. It's part of that smoothly animated platform era that Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure and Aladdin was also part of.
There's more in depth info over at Hardcore gaming.

Top Bottom