• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Taiko no Tatsujin: Don and Katsu's Space-Time Adventure

Forkball

Ok this game is only two months old but there's no topic about it SO....

Taiko_no_Tatsujin_-_Don_to_Katsu_no_Jiku_Daiboken_Coverart.png

If you've ever been to Japan, you've probably been to one of their mythical arcades. Inside probably every Japanese arcade is a magical game called Taiko no Tatsujin, a rhythm game form Namco where you hit a large taiko drum. Not everyone has enough room for a giant drum arcade game, so Namco wisely decided to release home versions, the latest one being Taiko no Tatsujin: Don and Katsu's Great Space-Time Adventure.

If you've never played Taiko no Tatsujin, the game is actually quite simple. There are two main notes, the red dons and the blue katsus. On the red notes, you have to hit the drum, but on the blue notes, you have to him the rim of the drum. A mock taiko drum is on the bottom screen for you to tap, though you can also use buttons. I tried buttons and found it to be too slow and less satisfying. There are also other special notes like large notes where you have to hit an even more specific part of the drum, long notes, notes that resemble those Japanese pinatas I forgot the name of, balloon notes where you have to tap repeatedly and more.

LcixoUp.jpg

Although not as complex as some other rhythm titles, the songs are very fast-paced and it does a good job of mimicking the feeling of hitting a drum. There's something absurdly addicting about it and I find myself often falling under "one more song" syndrome. The game also has a very good track list that includes everything from Beethoven to Let it Go to AKB48 to Attack on Titan's opening theme to more. There are over 60 songs, and you can unlock more as you play.

The main mode is Enso Game, where you pick a song and try to top your score. If that's too boring, there's also a story mode. Yes, a story mode about a living drum and his brother. You meet a rabbit named Takkun, who is being chased by a Team Galaxy ripoff called Time Dine. You have to travel through time to collect parts of a clock or something, I wasn't really paying attention. The story gimmick is time travel, which is actually pretty entertaining. You visit feudal Japan, ancient Egypt, the future, the age of early flight etc. You also meet historical figures and they can join your party. YES YOUR RPG PARTY CAN CONSIST OF NOBUNAGA, MARIE ANTOINETTE, CLEOPATRA AND THAT CAT FROM MONSTER HUNTER.
adTW4Sj.jpg

So how do you turn a rhythm game into an RPG? All the battles consist of playing through the songs on the soundtrack. The catch is now there are some bombs scattered about that can hurt you if you tap them by accident, and any missed notes can result in attacks from the enemy. Your team attacks when you string up combos. It's a pretty interesting system, although it is very easy to be completely wiped out in random battles if you mess up, which is a bit frustrating. One cool touch I like is how the random battle songs are based around the time period. When you go to Marie Antoinette's time the battles have classical music, the pirate area has a song from One Piece, the age of flight has Ace Combat and Attack on Titan songs etc.
sVK9TWL.jpg

It's somewhat like Pokemon in the respect that you can collect party members from monsters you defeat. These monsters have their own basic stats like speed, attack, special attack etc. There's some degree of strategy when it comes to who you have on your team. At first I just put the guys with the biggest attack stat on my team, but they were so slow that they would only attack once or twice per song and I would have so many draws. I ended up focusing on a team that attacked with smaller combos, but had less health.

The story mode is baby's first RPG as everything is extremely linear and the areas are small, but the boss battles are actually very challenging considering most of them try to obscure your vision and you have to go into the avatar state to remember the beats of the song and time things right. I'm stuck on the final boss right now, who is some crazy time dilluting Sephrioth jerk.
kX6ebDw.jpg

Also the game has a good degree of customization and options. You can make songs go double speed, watch the computer play them, dress up Don-chan into costumes (they have a stat effect in the RPG mode but not in Enso game), change the drum sounds to something else like fireworks or sword slices etc.
dRDXo69.jpg

I'm not really into rhythm games but I am having a complete blast with this title and I really feel the urge to boost my score. I don't think I can resist buying the DLC. Has anyone played the first Taiko no Tatsujin game for 3DS? I WANT MORE.
cPx32mT.jpg

I played (I think) every Taiko game post-PS2 except for this one. I bought the Wii U version a few days ago.

I'm with you on this in any case, the Taiko games are absolutely brillant and it's always a blast to play them, even with buttons only.

The RPG aspect of the (3)DS versions is a real nice addition because it keeps you going for more with something more than just personal achievement in difficulty.
Speaking of which, is there an Oni difficulty in this specific version? Because the Wii U has it and it's brutal. There are even special versions of a same song with on one side Easy-Normal-Hard and on the other, Oni.

Dagon

Nice write up. This looks really fun. And it's yet another reason to despise Nintendo's decision to region lock the 3DS.

The number of Japan-only 3DS games I want is reaching critical mass now. I'm definitely going to import a 3DS LL soon.

Always love the adventure/RPG modes in the DS/3DS versions in this series. This one has the most interesting worlds as far as I'm concerned, but still isn't as great as the third (I think it was that one) game on DS.

FWIW, I thought the first Taiko on 3DS was a bit better than this one too.

Valkyria

Banned
Wow now, damn you Nintendo for region lock. This game looks ace but I not buying another console for playing one game.

Very detailed opennig post Forkball.

Do you have experience with the Wii U version? The interface seems very well implemented with the DS touch screen so i was wondering how the console version stacks up.

Forkball

I played (I think) every Taiko game post-PS2 except for this one. I bought the Wii U version a few days ago.

I'm with you on this in any case, the Taiko games are absolutely brillant and it's always a blast to play them, even with buttons only.

The RPG aspect of the (3)DS versions is a real nice addition because it keeps you going for more with something more than just personal achievement in difficulty.
Speaking of which, is there an Oni difficulty in this specific version? Because the Wii U has it and it's brutal. There are even special versions of a same song with on one side Easy-Normal-Hard and on the other, Oni.

Yeah it has Oni from the start. I tried even the easiest song on Oni and got murdered. I'm trying to get perfects on all the normal songs first before I move up.

I haven't tried the Wii U version but I am eager to try it. Unfortunately I only have a US Wii U and don't think the investment is worthwhile to get a Japanese one. I think the gamepad would be great for this game though, but I think you would need some sort of stylus to mimic the drum sticks effectively.

Thanks to this thread I'm looking up Taiko drums for the Wii. I'm a huge sucker for accessories I have two Donkey Kong Bongos, Gamecube microphone, Eye Toy, Wii Remote holders (wheel, rod, Zapper), 2 PS Move and navigation controllers (2 pairs of two different lightgun casing), PS Eye, Balance Board, Fit Meter, 3 Dance mats, 4 Wii arcade sticks Singstar microphones, usb microphones, 2 turntable controllers, guitar controller, keyboard controller and Circle Pad Pro.

Why not add this game too?

I know I have a problem. I don't care.

Impotaku

Love this series of games got all of them on DS & Wii also got the 2nd 3DS one on it's way to me as i type but i have yet to experience the delights of the new WiiU one but i'll get it eventually. Never even knew of the hori pro controller till i read through this thread managed to get my friend to kindly preorder one for me im hoping it's a step up from the original tatacon controller. Looks like it uses the sensors from the arcade instead of the cheaper tatacon ones.

For anyone that wants the QR code unlockables for the 2nd 3DS game there is a great faq on gamefaqs that has nearly every single code the only one it's missing is the sevencat friend from the 7-11 download spot bonus, however there is a QR code for the 7-11 taiko costume which looks cool as hell not quite sure why there is a QR code for that one as it was meant to be unlocked via the 7-11 spotpass system.

First 3DS is game is pretty comparable, you can check out the track list here. Main difference is that the story mode isn't structured like an RPG, and is rather clearing stages by fulfilling certain objectives, like the NPC triggered events in this game (though the boss battles are kinda comparable).

Honestly, I think the story modes in pretty much all the Taiko games are kinda junk, lol. In particular, I don't think the RPG format works very well. Its nature as a rhythm game means random encounters take too long, and you get perhaps too familiar with just the beginning of every song. Difficulty curve is kinda out of whack too, being able to breeze through most of it on hard but suddenly hitting a brick wall near the end (had to actually drop down the difficulty for the final boss).

All in all it's kinda a cute novelty when you can make weird teams composed of anime Wright brothers, prefecture mascots, and Jibanyan, but I found it to be a drag other than that. As with pretty much every Taiko game that's featured single player, I cleared it once to unlock all the songs and then pretty much never looked back when I went to arcade mode.

Top Bottom