• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Pocket Color Appreciation Thread: Way Ahead of the Game (Boy)

Het_Nkik

Alright, so I popped in KOF R-1 and the game is NOT colorized when played on an NGCP like SamSho is.

So I guess maybe the colors are on the cartridge itself. Perhaps SNK was already prepping for the NGPC while they were working on SamSho.

Het_Nkik

This is too good not to share. I popped in my King of Fighters R-2 that I bought second hand. Saw "Making" as a game mode and after some digging found out it's a mode where you can customize a character and transfer them between this version and the Dreamcast version of KOF98 (which is titled KOF99 for some reason, and I own it, and it's a really shitty port). ANYWAY, so you can unlock all these stats and stuff and even give your character custom names and win quotes.

Well, here's what the previous owner made:

fWrU1Yh.jpg

Shlomo living the dream lol.

Dream Match '99 is awesome >=[

Agreed! The only thing I don't like is how the music stops and then restarts in between every round in team battle modes, but aside from that, I thought it was a very nice port.

I also love The King of Fighters R-2, but I haven't played it in ages. Making mode was fun. I think I gave my Kyo a handgun. Hah.

Het_Nkik

The music thing drove me crazy 'cause you could never hear a full song and as a King player I was mad 'cause Agetech removed every frame of her with a drink.

The music thing drove me crazy 'cause you could never hear a full song and as a King player I was mad 'cause Agetech removed every frame of her with a drink.

Agetech had nothing to do with Dream Match 1999, though. They only released The King of Fighters Evolution (the actual '99 game). SNK released Dream Match 1999 all on their own. I think it was their only US release outside of a Neo Geo console after the NES days. Everything else was published by other companies, as far as I can remember. They did start publishing their own games in the US again when they came back as SNK Playmore (well, "SNK Neo Geo USA Consumer Corporation" or whatever at first...they changed their US branch name like every month for a while), though.

Anyway, if you want the full music you can always play the single character modes or listen to the tracks in the CD player mode, I guess. Hah.

Het_Nkik

Had to pull my copy out of the closet and you're right. Alright, but I but I can still be mad at Agetec for removing Whip's gun from the Dreamcast version KOF99 Evolution, right?

Had to pull my copy out of the closet and you're right. Alright, but I but I can still be mad at Agetec for removing Whip's gun from the Dreamcast version KOF99 Evolution, right?

Sorta. From my understanding, all of the censorship in the Agetec releases (KOF '99 Evolution, Last Blade 2, Fatal Fury: Marks of the Wolves, Metal Slug X) was all done by SNK. They programmed them, and then sent them to Agetec, who apparently had no control over the content in the discs. At least that's what I remember reading, but it's been a very long time since I read that...like, a decade or more, so I might be wrong.

I remember feeling very threatened by this as a Nintendo-obsessed kid, like it had a real chance of killing the Game Boy.

I secretly really wanted one. "An analogue stick on a handheld?!"

Sorta. From my understanding, all of the censorship in the Agetec releases (KOF '99 Evolution, Last Blade 2, Fatal Fury: Marks of the Wolves, Metal Slug X) was all done by SNK. They programmed them, and then sent them to Agetec, who apparently had no control over the content in the discs. At least that's what I remember reading, but it's been a very long time since I read that...like, a decade or more, so I might be wrong.
Isn't the censorship the same as that in the US-region Neo-Geo releases?

Alright, so I popped in KOF R-1 and the game is NOT colorized when played on an NGCP like SamSho is.

So I guess maybe the colors are on the cartridge itself. Perhaps SNK was already prepping for the NGPC while they were working on SamSho.
Okay then, clearly some of the "B&W" games actually secretly support limited color. Interesting! I wonder if any others do, other than SS1.

Isn't the censorship the same as that in the US-region Neo-Geo releases?

Some of it, yes, but games like the Last Blade 2 on the Dreamcast are far more censored than the Neo Geo version, which I recall being uncensored. The Dreamcast version has white blood and no fatalities...which also means that Hibiki's extra win poses and ending are missing. Blood is removed from every other game, I think, but they didn't have much to begin with.

I'm not 100% sure if Whip's handgun move was absent in the Neo Geo version of '99 when running in the US-region bios. I did a quick search before that previous post, but I couldn't find anything definitive, so I left it out of my post.

Krammy

Didn't know we had a dedicated Neo Geo Pocket thread! I actually recently got the device and a couple handfuls of games from a fellow Gaffer. So far I'm loving SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium and Ganbare Neo-Poke Kun, and I'm looking forward to trying out Sonic Pocket Adventures in the near future.
sHXtwhQ.png

The device itself is absolutely amazing and it's a damn shame this thing didn't take off. The analog is just as wonderful as I'd heard, the display is sharp with no visible ghosting, the graphics blow most Game Boy games out of the water, but the audio chip is atrocious. I would have loved to see this do better, or at least have had enough documentation for a homebrew scene to flourish.

Het_Nkik

^^^How easy is Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun to play without knowing Japanese? I recently bought a copy but haven't gotten to it yet.

Some of it, yes, but games like the Last Blade 2 on the Dreamcast are far more censored than the Neo Geo version, which I recall being uncensored. The Dreamcast version has white blood and no fatalities...which also means that Hibiki's extra win poses and ending are missing. Blood is removed from every other game, I think, but they didn't have much to begin with.
Uh, the US version of Last Blade 2 has no blood or fatalities. It's exactly the same as you describe. Maybe you're confused because the Neo-Geo version of Last Blade 2 has a language switch in the ingame options menu, so you can play the game in English on a Japanese-region system? On a US-region system, though, no blood or fatalities.

And yes, this is why it's so disappointing that the Japanese DC version cuts out the language switch -- it'd be great to be able to have blood and fatalities in the game in English on Dreamcast just like on Neo-Geo, but sadly, you can't do it; the Japanese version is Japanese only, and the US version is English only.

I don't own a Neo Geo, so...I wasn't sure. I just remembered it being uncensored from the arcade version, but I could be wrong. I haven't played it outside of the US Dreamcast version in many, many, many years.

I do know for sure that the Dreamcast version is missing the heatwave effect from that burning building stage, though. And the US Dreamcast version is missing the Hanafuda card game that was in the Japanese Dreamcast version.

Coming to think of it, it must have been a slap in the face to play $250+ back in the day for a game and have it be censored simply because you own a North American console.

Het_Nkik

Man, I've only played US DC Last Blade 2 so I didn't even know the game had blood/fatalities.

I did buy the Japanese PS2 compilation of the games awhile ago but never played it. Now I'll have to pop it in and check out the differences.

And speaking of the Last Blade, I think it's the only fighter I don't have for NGPC. Gotta get on that.

Het_Nkik

So after playing so many fighting games on the NGPC, I just kind of thought the handheld had a 3 color limit on sprites (usually black for outlines, white, plus one more color). Literally all of the SNK fighters follow this formula.

But I decided to switch it up and play some Sonic Pocket Adventure. What the hell? This game has way better color than all of those games. Sonic has 5 colors on his sprite. (EDIT: On closer inspection, Sonic might have 6.) Robotnik has 6. And just even the levels and backgrounds seem a lot more colorful. I had played the game before but it's probably been 9 years.

So... why did SNK stick with such a small color palette for their fighters?

On an unrelated note, I also bought a Dreamcast to NGPC cable :p Thing was like 70 dollars cheaper on Yahoo Auctions than on eBay.

So after playing so many fighting games on the NGPC, I just kind of thought the handheld had a 3 color limit on sprites (usually black for outlines, white, plus one more color). Literally all of the SNK fighters follow this formula.

But I decided to switch it up and play some Sonic Pocket Adventure. What the hell? This game has way better color than all of those games. Sonic has 5 colors on his sprite. (EDIT: On closer inspection, Sonic might have 6.) Robotnik has 6. And just even the levels and backgrounds seem a lot more colorful. I had played the game before but it's probably been 9 years.

So... why did SNK stick with such a small color palette for their fighters?

On an unrelated note, I also bought a Dreamcast to NGPC cable :p Thing was like 70 dollars cheaper on Yahoo Auctions than on eBay.

Sprites do have a 3 or 4 (it might be 3+transparent?) color limit; Sonic I'm sure uses two sprites.

Het_Nkik

Ah, interesting. So they probably didn't use the same trick for their fighting games to keep the framerates smooth since four sprites for characters + any special move sprites would probably slow the games down. Sonic has plenty of laggy moments as is.

Thanks for the clarification!

Krammy

As A Black Falcon said, Sonic Pocket Adventure indeed used sprite layering. In the chunk of Sonic's sprite map below, you can see that there's sprites specifically for the extra colours (I've colour coded these accordingly to make it clear which is which).
LO6kImU.png

Because Sonic is so tiny, it was easy to get away with this trick. Sonic's idle stance only uses 13 sprites (8 on the base, 5 on the top layer).
Mg0aDOq.gif

By comparison, a frame of Akuma's idle stance from SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium uses 22 sprites without any kind of layering.
TiPKbtM.png

The amount of sprites becomes an issue because the Neo Geo Pocket can only display 64 sprites per frame before flicker becomes an issue (I'm not sure what the sprite limit per line is, sorry). With SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium, when you have two characters on screen and the sometimes large effects going on, you quickly fill out your total amount of sprites on-screen.

Het_Nkik

The Japanese Metal Slug 1st Mission cart looks identical to that as well, browsing Yahoo Auctions.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of those carts were sold in the US as well when the games started being sold in blister packs.

Mikhal

The Japanese Metal Slug 1st Mission cart looks identical to that as well, browsing Yahoo Auctions.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of those carts were sold in the US as well when the games started being sold in blister packs.

The JP cart usually has japanese writing on it somewhere. You can typically tell by reading the "Supported by Neo Geo Pocket Color" banner whether it's a Euro or JP cart. Here's a JP 1st Mission since that was used as an example:

metal-slug-1st-mission-neo-geo-pocket-cartucho-original-14532-MLB231196073_3672-O.jpg

As mentioned in a previous post, EU games (and sometimes JP) were included in the blister packs in the US. Some NGPC games even came out in the US as simply the EU version with an ESRB sticker on the box.

flak57

Are there any counterfeit NGPC carts in circulation? I know there is a lot of new-old stock, which is why some sellers have a bunch in bulk, I just get suspicious when some Hong Kong sellers have 100s of copies of games. For example -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Neo-Geo...362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2582ba96ea

I've googled around before and I've never really heard of counterfeit games for this system.

Related, like 10 years ago I bought Faselei on Ebay and there was no music during gameplay, just the sound of the mech's footsteps, I returned it thinking it was counterfeit. To this day I'm not really sure.

SkylineRKR

This is an excellent handheld. I had one with Card fighters, MotM, Baseball Stars, NG Cup 98, FF First Contact and Last Blade.

First Contact falls a bit short. Its kinda useless if you have the more fun KOF Round 2 (which is great!). MotM owns them all though, its the best handheld fighter I have played. I always wanted Gals Fighters too because its so different, but I never got to it.

Man, I've only played US DC Last Blade 2 so I didn't even know the game had blood/fatalities.

I did buy the Japanese PS2 compilation of the games awhile ago but never played it. Now I'll have to pop it in and check out the differences.

And speaking of the Last Blade, I think it's the only fighter I don't have for NGPC. Gotta get on that.

LB on Pocket is pretty good btw. It has a shit ton of unlockables and I believe it has everything from LB and LB2 combined. I enjoyed it. I also own this game on AES and really the gameplay isn't far off.

Teknoman

Are there any counterfeit NGPC carts in circulation? I know there is a lot of new-old stock, which is why some sellers have a bunch in bulk, I just get suspicious when some Hong Kong sellers have 100s of copies of games. For example -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Neo-Geo...362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2582ba96ea

I've googled around before and I've never really heard of counterfeit games for this system.

Related, like 10 years ago I bought Faselei on Ebay and there was no music during gameplay, just the sound of the mech's footsteps, I returned it thinking it was counterfeit. To this day I'm not really sure.

I hope not...maybe it was just a faulty cart?

I love my NGCP. Always wanted to grab a second one so I could enjoy the multiplayer games with friends.

There's a few games I'd like to grab at some point... Gals Fighter, Neo Turf Masters and a few others. I remember when this thing was new and SNK had a US website for it with cute little screenshots of most of the games.

http://web.archive.org/web/19991012032714/http://snkusa.com/hw.htm
Wish the images loaded. I was so excited to buy mine! Did not care about GBC at all hahaha.

flak57

I hope not...maybe it was just a faulty cart?

Did a little googling and it looks like I wasn't alone!

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?142265-Faselei-sound-question

One guy tried his Faselei on four different NGPC systems and sound only worked properly on the Slim revision. A few others had similar experiences.

Also this -

"i have a feeling that its to do with the actual system itself, on the original stone blue system the sound is screwed in quite a few games for me, MOTM, SS2 etc don't have an english faselei to test, but the sound in all these other games works fine on my other slim console."

Weird stuff.

Edit: Found an old message board post that said they sent all their new-old stock to their Hong Kong branch when they stopped selling the stuff. So I guess that explains why Hong Kong sellers have most of the bulk. That's a relief if true, I guess the slightly off center labels and stuff on some of the carts I see on ebay are just how they were made.

I have no idea why I bought this :p

I wonder if you could hack two of those to make a proper Dreamcast to Dreamcst link cable for games like F355 and Virtual On. The official link cable is so rare and expensive :(
I just want legit 1 v 1 on VOOT with separate TVs :(

Het_Nkik

No joke, at one point I came SO close to buying one of those Dreamcast cables so I could set up a semi-permanent Virtual On table with a couple of CRTs and Dreamcasts.

But I backed out because I didn't really have the room, nor did I want to pay for another twin stick controller.

Someday...

tokaio

Neo Member
After reading this entire thread, watching a few video reviews I caved in and bought one too. I love the design and the color I got it in, unfortunately I don't any games right now but that's going to change soon :p.

Here are some shots:

Ban Puncher

Got a busted Neo Geo Pocket Color Rev.2 in today that would power on but had no display or sound. Bit of a tinker and restored the picture to its former glory but I can only get sound from the headphone jack, not from the speaker. Some friendly prodding around the solder joints with the iron sadly didn't get any results. Any ideas or should I just try to find a cheap, broken NGPC for a donor speaker?

sniperpon

Correction for OP: Sonic Pocket Adventure wasn't a launch title. I know because I owned a North American NGPC for some months prior to that game's release, and had Sonic Pocket Adventure reserved at Electronics Boutique-- bought the game day one.

Top Bottom