• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's look back 30 years ago. 1990 was the final full year of game releases for the Atari 7800, an 8-bit console that competed with the Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Master System in Western countries. Only one game came out for it in 1991 (Sentinel) and that was just in PAL territories.

I think it's fair to say the 7800 suffered with quantity and quality issues compared to Nintendo and Sega. A lot of the best 7800 games were ports of early '80s arcade games but those weren't very appealing to a gaming audience wanting newer and more modern experiences in the late '80s. Those games had already been ported and played to death. Original content was in short supply on the system and was usually disappointing.

The 7800 didn't go out with a bang but I find 1990 to be its most interesting year because of the focus on new franchises, and there are a handful of limited quantity titles worth checking out:

I consider Sculptured Software's Alien Brigade to be the best original game on the 7800. It's a first-person view shooter that can be played with the joystick or the Atari XG-1 light gun. Gameplay is similar to Taito's Operation Wolf in that its playfield auto-scrolls as you shoot enemies in the background while avoiding gunning down civilians. The explosions and animations are nicely done and Atari's light gun (similar to Sega's light phaser) is accurate and comfortable. I would recommend it over playing the NES and SMS versions of Operation Wolf.

295547-alien-brigade-atari-7800-front-cover.jpg

82854-alien-brigade-atari-7800-screenshot-the-aliens-keep-getting.png
82851-alien-brigade-atari-7800-screenshot-aliens-are-even-under-water.png

Not that there's much competition but Basketbrawl is my favourite sports game on the 7800. Like the Midway arcade game Arch Rivals before it, it's basketball with the added bonus of punching other players. It's pretty simple and doesn't have a lot of different play options but the physics are well done and the attacks are satisfying. It was later ported to Lynx but that version just doesn't feel right to me.

35897-basketbrawl-atari-7800-front-cover.jpg

56349-basketbrawl-atari-7800-screenshot-title-screen.gif
56354-basketbrawl-atari-7800-screenshot-taking-a-shot.gif

Midnight Mutants by Radioactive Software filled the action-adventure void on the system. You play as a dude on a mission to rescue "Grampa" based on the Al Lewis character from the TV show The Munsters. Unlike many non-linear games in the genre of the time, Midnight Mutants has no passwords or battery backup to save your progress. I don't know if I would play through it again without save states but it's a quality title with some quirky charm and some neat boss fights like giant skulls that take up most of the screen. Your character moves and throws projectiles quickly and Grampa provides you with clues as to where to go next by pressing one of the buttons. All of this makes for a well paced experience.

36379-midnight-mutants-atari-7800-front-cover.jpg

82902-midnight-mutants-atari-7800-screenshot-grampa-can-provide-some.png
82908-midnight-mutants-atari-7800-screenshot-i-have-found-the-knife.png

Before being known as the company behind Genesis classics such as Shadowrun and Vectorman, Blue Sky Software made Ninja Golf for the 7800. It's ninjas and golf. What more do you want? The sports element is practically non-existant, though. You do angle your shot on the mini-map but there's no skill involved there. It just sets up your walking path towards the hole. One your way there you encounter rival ninjas and giant frogs to kick or throw shuriken at. When you reach the hole, the action switches to a behind the back view where you throw stars at the dragon boss while dodging its fireballs. Ninja Golf isn't a great game or anything but it's one of the nicest looking games on the console in terms of colour and scrolling effects, and it's entertaining enough in a cheesy way to play through.

29222-ninja-golf-atari-7800-front-cover.jpg

59654-ninja-golf-atari-7800-screenshot-running-through-the-woods.gif
59655-ninja-golf-atari-7800-screenshot-the-greens-are-guarded-by.gif

What do you think of the Atari 7800 releases of 1990? Or of the system in general?

Oct 27, 2017
That cover for Alien Brigade looks like someone made a drawing of a knock-off of Iron Maiden's Eddie mascot and used it for a Metallica bootleg. Good lord.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I owned all those at one point, don;t really remember any of them, sorry. One thing I do remember is ordering somethign called the 7800XM add-on abut a decade ago. I just googled it and apparently they started shipping 2 years ago. I think this thread just prompted me to go find out where mine got to... and where the heck my 7800 is, too!

EDIT: Oh, no, 2 years ago it looked like they were sending them, and didn't Maybe none of that have seen sent still. At elast I don't ahve to go find my 7800 now :/

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basketbrawl and ninja golf????

Now I've seen it all.

And all we get today is fifa part 40 and wwe part 20

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Such cruel memories.

I picked this POS console over NES for Christmas because Nintendo was still unknown to me.

I'll never forget playing Choplifter, getting perfect and expecting to go to another level, only to discover it was a one level game 😡

At least it was backwards compatible I guess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such cruel memories.

I picked this POS console over NES for Christmas because Nintendo was still unknown to me.

I'll never forget playing Choplifter, getting perfect and expecting to go to another level, only to discover it was a one level game 😡

At least it was backwards compatible I guess.
These are my observations/stereotypes of single console owners from that generation:

People that only had an NES - They're very happy but oblivious to a lot of great stuff elsewhere.

People that only had an SMS - They are a bit sad they missed a bunch of stuff on NES but are generally still very happy for their Sega experience.

People that only had a 7800 - They are bitter for life.

I was lucky to have a C64, NES, and SMS at the time. I didn't own a 7800 until many years later.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I was lucky to have a C64, NES, and SMS at the time. I didn't own a 7800 until many years later.

I had an Atari 7800 in the late 1980s, along with my Commodore 64. I actually enjoyed most of the 7800 games that I had, including many of the arcade conversions that made up the early releases. The backward compatibility with the 2600 was particularly welcome, since I already had accumulated a large library of 2600 games, and there were still some good games coming out for it even at that late stage. The 7800 game library by itself wouldn't have measured up to the NES and SMS, but with the addition of the 2600 games it was a worthy system.

It's interesting to compare the games that were released on both the 7800 and the C64. Arcade game conversions were usually better on the 7800. On the flip side, most of the computer games that were ported to the 7800 just couldn't hold a candle to the preceding versions on the C64, with a few exceptions (e.g. Ballblazer, One on One, Tower Toppler).

Regarding the games in your first post: By late 1989, nearly all stores in my area stopped getting any of the new releases for the 7800. I was aware of these games' existence, because a few magazines would occasionally review them, but I never actually saw these cartridges in person until many years later.

I eventually did get Alien Brigade and Midnight Mutants, and yeah, they were very good games that I probably would've appreciated even more if I got them while they were still new. These, along with some of the late 1989 releases (Commando, Xenophobe, Crossbow, and the aforementioned Tower Toppler) were examples of the types of games that the 7800 could've really used about 2 or 3 years earlier. Better late than never, I suppose!

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
These are my observations/stereotypes of single console owners from that generation:

People that only had an NES - They're very happy but oblivious to a lot of great stuff elsewhere.

People that only had an SMS - They are a bit sad they missed a bunch of stuff on NES but are generally still very happy for their Sega experience.

People that only had a 7800 - They are bitter for life.

I was in reverse. I had many consoles after it. I just had a habit of picking the wrong generational platforms after 7800 (Sega CD and Saturn instead of Playstation and Dreamcast over PS2).

Had I known of Ninja Golf or other titles in OP, and not gotten it Christmas of 86' but much later, I probably would have had a more favorable experience.

I think my beef with the console is that finding games of substance was difficult in a time before internet and before I knew what a gaming magazine was. No one talked about Atari anymore... meanwhile, my brother was playing Ring King on his NES, a home port of an arcade game sitting in our local convenience store, which blew my mind. I remember looking at my 7800 port of Mario Bros like "wtf?"

I'm not bitter... just sad 9 year old me didn't do the research before asking for it.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Another issue that plagued the 7800, and also other Atari consoles released during the Tramiel era (Lynx, Jaguar), was that they all mismanaged the flow of new game software during the system's first year on the market. Atari under the Tramiels would follow this general pattern:

• Launch the system with a few games alongside it.
  • Trickle out one or two more games in the following two months.
  • Release absolutely nothing throughout the next 3-6 months.

This is why many consumers and retailers rapidly lost confidence in Atari's systems, which naturally also influenced developers' sentiments as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another issue that plagued the 7800, and also other Atari consoles released during the Tramiel era (Lynx, Jaguar), was that they all mismanaged the flow of new game software during the system's first year on the market. Atari under the Tramiels would follow this general pattern:

• Launch the system with a few games alongside it.
  • Trickle out one or two more games in the following two months.
  • Release absolutely nothing throughout the next 3-6 months.

This is why many consumers and retailers rapidly lost confidence in Atari's systems, which naturally also influenced developers' sentiments as well.
The Lynx didn't seem as bad for droughts but I think the Jaguar had only Tempest 2000 for the first half of 1994.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cant believe that Atari is developing a sequel for Ninja Golf

May 10, 2019
The absolute worst thing that happened to Atari Electronics on the home console front was the dissolution from Atari Games (the arcade division). They were still developing and releasing incredible content for years after the break-up and almost none of it made it to Atari consoles (although a few things made it to the Lynx).

Stuff that should've made it, but didn't (note that I'm not including the Namco-licensed stuff, so RBI Baseball, Rolling Thunder, and Pac-Mania aren't on this list):
  • Marble Madness - computers, Nintendo, and Sega systems
  • Paperboy - everywhere besides Atari consoles, but released on Lynx
  • Gauntlet - everywhere besides Atari consoles (also, Gauntlet 3 for Lynx doesn't even count since Epyx was developing another game that got the Gauntlet brand slapped onto it)
  • Road Runner - only the 2600 in 1989, same time as the NES version (it had already hit computers)
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - computers and the NES only
  • Peter Pack Rat - computers only and not even the Atari ST
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - computers only
  • 720° - computers and NES - a shutout with no ST port
  • Super Sprint - computers and NES only (the sequel, Championship Sprint, was on even fewer platforms with no NES port)
  • RoadBlasters - made it to Lynx but only after the NES and computers got it first
  • APB - computers and a port to the Lynx too late to matter
  • Blasteroids - only on computers (Tengen's NES port was supposedly canned on account of controls not being up to par)
  • Xybots - made it to computers, almost made it to NES and Genesis, then made it to Lynx
  • Tetris - there's a lot to unpack, suffice to say it didn't get to any Atari consoles or Lynx
  • Vindicators - computers and NES only, also had a sequel that never got a port until Midway collections much later
  • Toobin' - computers and NES only
  • Cyberball - computers, NES, and Genesis - Tournament Cyberball got to be a true Lynx exclusive though
  • Badlands - Super Sprint, Mad Max Edition - only got to computers
  • KLAX - every computer on earth, NES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, and hey, even Lynx and 2600 as its' last game ever - Atari really tried to make this the new Tetris (bless their hearts) but then came Columns, and then came Puyo Puyo, and welp
  • Hard Drivin' - made it to Lynx, after computers...and Genesis
  • S.T.U.N. Runner - also made it to Lynx after computers, but didn't have a pesky Genesis version to make it look bad this time
  • Skull & Crossbones - one of my arcade favorites, no Atari console releases, but it made computers and the NES
  • Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters - was excited to get to play this on a home system based off the name alone, but it only made the computer rounds
  • Pit Fighter - one of the last monster hits during the times when Atari Games maintained consistency, made computers, then the Master System and Genesis, then the SNES, and THEN the Lynx and Game Boy
  • Race Drivin' - only hit the Amiga and Atari ST on computers, also got to SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and then the Sega Saturn in Japan when the Atari Jaguar was fighting for scraps
  • Rampart - another one that got to the Lynx on the back half of the porting rounds, after computers, NES, SNES, and Genesis
  • ThunderJaws - Namco wouldn't give Atari another Rolling Thunder so they made their own, and this only went to computers
  • Hydra - another one from the RoadBlasters/S.T.U.N. Runner lineage, but it got a Lynx port alongside computer ports
  • Steel Talons - again, got to the Lynx, but a Genesis version was right there on the same day (an SNES version came later and an Atari ST version came MUCH later)

And I'm stopping here because this is where things started to go off the rails with Atari Games, with lots of abandoned prototypes (Marble Madness 2) and games that escaped that maybe shouldn't have (like uh, Guardians of the Hood) and a few scattered miracle hits (Area 51 and Primal Rage). Really the biggest takeaway from this is Atari Electronics not getting their hands on Tetris is the biggest marker of the split from Atari Games, and when they probably should have looked at their future more critically. Pulling up console stakes completely and putting it all into the ST (which was still even with Amiga in some parts of the world) and the upcoming Falcon would have been completely understandable. Of course, even in those cases, they wouldn't be guaranteed any sort of chance in Microsoft and Intel's conquest of the computer world. But you know, whatever stopped the bleeding.

It's also worth noting that even the Jaguar got snubbed on Atari arcade games, with ports of COPS, T-MEK, and Steel Talons in various stages of development, but only Primal Rage making it out for the Jaguar CD (again, after it landed nearly everywhere else). The biggest insult of that port, though, was the fact that it wasn't even natively developed for the Jaguar - it's based instead on the 3DO version.

Last edited:

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The Lynx didn't seem as bad for droughts but I think the Jaguar had only Tempest 2000 for the first half of 1994.

The Lynx was in a very similar situation. It launched in late 1989 with four games (California Games, Blue Lightning, Electrocop, Gates of Zendocon). Chip's Challenge was released soon afterward, but it was the only new game throughout the first half of 1990.

Relatively speaking, the Lynx weathered this situation better than the Jaguar, since those five early games were all strong, and the system was viewed as novel and innovative. The Jaguar was under a lot more scrutiny, and many of its early games didn't provide a convincing showcase of the hardware's abilities.

The Lynx also had a better recovery from that drought. Both the Lynx and Jaguar had roughly the same amount of games during their first 14 months on the market, but the Lynx game quality was generally consistently high, whereas the Jaguar had a few great hits along with some stunning disappointments.

The absolute worst thing that happened to Atari Electronics on the home console front was the dissolution from Atari Games (the arcade division). They were still developing and releasing incredible content for years after the break-up and almost none of it made it to Atari consoles (although a few things made it to the Lynx).

True. The thing was Atari Corp. (the company that did computers and game consoles) still had to negotiate with Atari Games for the rights to make home games. Atari Games/Tengen supported the NES themselves, because that's where the lion's share of the market was at that time. Atari did license a few games for the 2600 and 7800, but most of these never got beyond the prototype stage, except for a few that you mentioned above like Road Runner and Klax.

The Atari Games/Atari Corp. deal bore much more fruit with the Lynx...and most of that fruit was sweet, indeed! Most of those games were either exclusive to the Lynx (at least in the US, where most of the computer conversions were not released) or best on the Lynx.

The real kick in the teeth was they didn't extend that deal to the Jaguar. They really should have done a lot more, and the system could have done those games justice. I hadn't heard of a Jaguar port of Steel Talons being officially developed, but that or S.T.U.N. Runner would have looked good in the first year of the Jaguar. Ironically enough, the Jaguar hardware was utilized in a few Atari Games' arcade games like Area 51, but those games never came to the Jaguar.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Stuff that should've made it, but didn't (note that I'm not including the Namco-licensed stuff, so RBI Baseball, Rolling Thunder, and Pac-Mania aren't on this list):
  • Marble Madness - computers, Nintendo, and Sega systems
  • Paperboy - everywhere besides Atari consoles, but released on Lynx
  • Gauntlet - everywhere besides Atari consoles (also, Gauntlet 3 for Lynx doesn't even count since Epyx was developing another game that got the Gauntlet brand slapped onto it)
  • Road Runner - only the 2600 in 1989, same time as the NES version (it had already hit computers)
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - computers and the NES only
  • Peter Pack Rat - computers only and not even the Atari ST
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - computers only
  • 720° - computers and NES - a shutout with no ST port
  • Super Sprint - computers and NES only (the sequel, Championship Sprint, was on even fewer platforms with no NES port)
  • RoadBlasters - made it to Lynx but only after the NES and computers got it first
  • APB - computers and a port to the Lynx too late to matter
  • Blasteroids - only on computers (Tengen's NES port was supposedly canned on account of controls not being up to par)
  • Xybots - made it to computers, almost made it to NES and Genesis, then made it to Lynx
  • Tetris - there's a lot to unpack, suffice to say it didn't get to any Atari consoles or Lynx
  • Vindicators - computers and NES only, also had a sequel that never got a port until Midway collections much later
  • Toobin' - computers and NES only
  • Cyberball - computers, NES, and Genesis - Tournament Cyberball got to be a true Lynx exclusive though
  • Badlands - Super Sprint, Mad Max Edition - only got to computers
  • KLAX - every computer on earth, NES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, and hey, even Lynx and 2600 as its' last game ever - Atari really tried to make this the new Tetris (bless their hearts) but then came Columns, and then came Puyo Puyo, and welp
  • Hard Drivin' - made it to Lynx, after computers...and Genesis
  • S.T.U.N. Runner - also made it to Lynx after computers, but didn't have a pesky Genesis version to make it look bad this time
  • Skull & Crossbones - one of my arcade favorites, no Atari console releases, but it made computers and the NES
  • Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters - was excited to get to play this on a home system based off the name alone, but it only made the computer rounds
  • Pit Fighter - one of the last monster hits during the times when Atari Games maintained consistency, made computers, then the Master System and Genesis, then the SNES, and THEN the Lynx and Game Boy
  • Race Drivin' - only hit the Amiga and Atari ST on computers, also got to SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and then the Sega Saturn in Japan when the Atari Jaguar was fighting for scraps
  • Rampart - another one that got to the Lynx on the back half of the porting rounds, after computers, NES, SNES, and Genesis
  • ThunderJaws - Namco wouldn't give Atari another Rolling Thunder so they made their own, and this only went to computers
  • Hydra - another one from the RoadBlasters/S.T.U.N. Runner lineage, but it got a Lynx port alongside computer ports
  • Steel Talons - again, got to the Lynx, but a Genesis version was right there on the same day (an SNES version came later and an Atari ST version came MUCH later)

And I'm stopping here because this is where things started to go off the rails with Atari Games, with lots of abandoned prototypes (Marble Madness 2) and games that escaped that maybe shouldn't have (like uh, Guardians of the Hood) and a few scattered miracle hits (Area 51 and Primal Rage). Really the biggest takeaway from this is Atari Electronics not getting their hands on Tetris is the biggest marker of the split from Atari Games, and when they probably should have looked at their future more critically. Pulling up console stakes completely and putting it all into the ST (which was still even with Amiga in some parts of the world) and the upcoming Falcon would have been completely understandable. Of course, even in those cases, they wouldn't be guaranteed any sort of chance in Microsoft and Intel's conquest of the computer world. But you know, whatever stopped the bleeding.

It's also worth noting that even the Jaguar got snubbed on Atari arcade games, with ports of COPS, T-MEK, and Steel Talons in various stages of development, but only Primal Rage making it out for the Jaguar CD (again, after it landed nearly everywhere else). The biggest insult of that port, though, was the fact that it wasn't even natively developed for the Jaguar - it's based instead on the 3DO version.
Nice rundown of the various ports. I don't remember exactly when I learned of the Atari Corp./Games divide but I always found it strange when Atari home formats got denied Atari arcade ports.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Lynx also had a better recovery from that drought. Both the Lynx and Jaguar had roughly the same amount of games during their first 14 months on the market, but the Lynx game quality was generally consistently high, whereas the Jaguar had a few great hits along with some stunning disappointments.
Yeah, quality really matters when quantity is low, and the Jaguar was a step down from the Lynx on average. Given how many years the Jaguar was delayed (they basically skipped a whole console gen), I actually thought maybe they were gearing up for something impressive. Then the first Jag game I played at a demo unit was Trevor McFur...

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
I seek novelty.
I like games that push the boat out and try something new, but I also like replaying games with different rules or styles. E.g. Challenge runs in Pokémon
I also like trying new control scheme, the steam controller is great for that.
I guess I just like to tinker and try different things out