• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So, I have some good news and some bad news:

The bad news is that those 5 MCD games are likely the only MCD games the Mini will have.

The good news is that Sonic CD will have the vocals on the opening and ending themes.
All the other Sonic CD ports had the vocals removed.

Last edited:

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably pick this up if it gets a US release. I also hope we get a Master System mini in the future.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I'm a sucker for these mini , I'm in!

Are they ever gonna re release the turbo grafx again?? It's so expensive 😭

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
So, I have some good news and some bad news:

The bad news is that those 5 MCD games are likely the only MCD games the Mini will have.

The good news is that Sonic CD will have the vocals on the opening and ending themes.
All the other Sonic CD ports had the vocals removed.

That's certainly deflating, if so. Seems a waste to blow their whole Mega CD lineup in the opening announcement.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I absolutely loved my Mega Drive II. I would love to own this, the nostalgia would be out of this world.

Jul 17, 2021
Would be cool if these were on Mega Drive Mini 2 too.

1gxpNjR.jpg

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
20? Wow. Hard to imagine most of the gems folks are wanting won't make it, barring any weird rights issues or whatever.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I'm not sure what Sega is doing there with this release. Regardless, I have a feeling this isn't coming stateside. The Genesis mini didn't sell that well in the west I think. There were tons of the shelves for years

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not sure what Sega is doing there with this release. Regardless, I have a feeling this isn't coming stateside. The Genesis mini didn't sell that well in the west I think. There were tons of the shelves for years
If is, but not simultaneously due to parts restriction, they even have to limit the Japan release. Also US is confirmed bestselling territory

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Not only is it coming over (in a limited capacity) but they confirmed it actually did sell relatively well over here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In reply to the concern that there will not be many CD based games:

It is somewhat surprising to me with these types of posts and the 32X talk that the implication is that any work done towards getting those games on a system like this means starting from scratch.

Mega/SegaCD and 32X emulation has existed for...a while.

Not complaining really, just surprised.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It is somewhat surprising to me with these types of posts and the 32X talk that the implication is that any work done towards getting those games on a system like this means starting from scratch.

Mega/SegaCD and 32X emulation has existed for...a while.

Not complaining really, just surprised.

M2 do everything from scratch I think. At least that's always the feeling I've gotten from their various interviews over the years

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
In reply to the concern that there will not be many CD based games:

20 games is a nice number for Mega CD; pretty much guarantees most of the library people want to see, i'd say, lol.

I thought the NSO emulator was made by NERD
Nope; the Mega Drive app is all running on M2's existing M2Engage framework.

If you want to get technical only the NES emulator was developed from the ground-up by NERD; the SNES and N64 emulators used for NSO are based on the emulators used for Wii U VC (in the case of SNES, very much improved; in the case of N64, still a work in progress). The leaked GB emulator is another NERD original, and the GBA emulator is another built on an existing emulator.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Wonder how much space is on the memory, and if they will let you switch regions between the Sega CD titles like you can on the Genesis mini.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
M2 do everything from scratch I think. At least that's always the feeling I've gotten from their various interviews over the years
At the very least I think everything should be well documented by now.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar package with 32X games in a year or two. I doubt they would need new hardware for that, just time to do what they do.

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, 20 Mega CD games is a good number. Doubtful Snatcher will make the cut but hopefully Keio Flying Squadron does.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Considering that Snatcher didn't get a Japanese release on the Mega CD, perhaps this would count as one of the "new" games?

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
No. A relative who is fluent in Japanese watched that Sega livestream and translated it to me.

We already got the confirmation from the interview saying that it is not the case but let me clarify this. I watched the whole stream too and they made a number of comments that pointed otherwise. For example, after reaching the fifth Mega CD game they said "that's the number of Mega CD announcements for today, we will now go on to present 5 Megadrive games". There were other too, see below.

Wonder how much space is on the memory, and if they will let you switch regions between the Sega CD titles like you can on the Genesis mini.

During the stream they said it was 16x the amount from first time. The original mini has 512MB so this time it should be 8GB. In fact, they mentioned that is one of the causes for the price increase. They said that in order to compensate for the increase the package includes 50 games this time.

Last edited:

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Having Silpheed in it is already great. I bet we're having Final Fight CD too. Maybe Eternal Champions as well.

I'd love to see Tomcat Alley but this one I'm sure is a no-no.

I'm expecting at least one FMV type game, maybe Road Avenger?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
2/5th the games being Sega CD sounds like pretty much most of the major titles people want along with a few more obscure picks. Though it really makes me hope the remaining 25 Genesis titles don't feel like the "leftovers" that always get included in collections like Bonanza Bros.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
2/5th the games being Sega CD sounds like pretty much most of the major titles people want along with a few more obscure picks. Though it really makes me hope the remaining 25 Genesis titles don't feel like the "leftovers" that always get included in collections like Bonanza Bros.

They had a conversation during the stream talking about how people complained that Bonanza Bros was not part of the first version making them include it this time. Miyazaki san even said it was a "minor" game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I almost felt like they intentionally left out major notable games from the last Mini feeling like they might make another. Some 'leftovers' like Ristar, Gain Ground, Streets of Rage 1 and such seem likely to me but there are also quite a few notable exclusions like Rocket Knight Adventures, Pulseman, Herzog Zwei and OutRun that would make this feel fresh and worthwhile.

I think at least a quarter of the library here will be some serious heavy hitters, but a new port of Fantasy Zone 1 makes me imagine some of the biggest surprises will just be strange exotic stuff like perhaps a CD remake of Sonic Drift lmao

I hope the Battle Mania / Trouble Shooter games and at least one Ecco CD title make it in.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Having Silpheed in it is already great. I bet we're having Final Fight CD too. Maybe Eternal Champions as well.

I'm expecting at least one FMV type game, maybe Road Avenger?
Looking it up, seems like Japan never got the Sega CD version of the game. Though given that the CERO of the device is C/15+, I wonder if it'd be allowed, even if the Genesis version was MA-13 at the time.

I could see Time Gal also having a chance. Part of me wonders if they would include Sewer Shark because it was the original pack-in title for the US if this comes to the west.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I feel like they have to throw a crappy FMV game in there just due to the novelty and infamy, but I do hope they consider something like Road Avenger which is actually quite good for what it is. Time Gal is also pretty iconic too, yeah.

Wolf Team games were lowkey some of my favorites on the Genesis and SEGA CD. El Viento would be an especially welcome addition to me here. I imagine it will be here too as it was just re-released on the Evercade.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'd love to see Crusader of Centy on this, I just don't see it happening. :(

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Would die if Lunar made it. I have it on my PSP, also have it on disc but I don't actually have a Sega CD. I just bought it because it was $5 at a pawn shop. I actually got two copies that day lmao, but I sold the extra when it was worth very little compared to now.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
why not, is there a rights issue?
It seems like this release is centered mostly on Japan, and I don't believe the game was a massive hit there. But then, it wasn't exactly well-known in NA either so that's two strikes against it.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'd love to see it happen, though.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I'm expecting El Viento or Valis 3, now that Edia is clearly shopping around the Wolf Team/Renovation catalog.

why not, is there a rights issue?

In theory, no. Atlus did the localization back in the day but SEGA presumably owns it now. It's just never shown up since.

I own Crusader of Centy complete in box, along with Popful Mail and Shining Force CD. But I'm fully ready for this thing to devalue my collection. :P

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Although Bonanza Bros. appears in practically every Genesis collection, it's still a good game.
Same goes for Kid Chameleon IMO.

Also 15 or so Sega CD games to go. How nice.