• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
For those who don't know what this is:

The Triforce is an arcade system board developed jointly by Namco, Sega, and Nintendo, with the first games appearing in 2002. The name "Triforce" is a reference to Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series of games, and symbolized the three companies' involvement in the project. The system hardware is based on the Nintendo GameCube with several differences, like provisions for add-ons such as Sega's GD-ROM system and upgradeable RAM modules

The only game I was aware of was F-Zero AX, but is the content in that version worth playing / seeking out over just playing GX?

There is a full list of games here, and other than F-Zero AX most of the others don't really seem that interesting other than the two Mario Kart games

I have actually played one of these as I sometimes find an arcade cabinet out in the wild, and they play so weirdly different from Nintendo developed Mario Karts, and it's super weird seeing Pac Man on the roster too. That said, I only play a race or so when I play them in the wild, so I have no real way of telling if they're actually decent or not

Has anyone put any time into this curiosities?

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
f-zero ax is pretty neat if you play in on a deluxe cabinet. or better yet, a cycraft
711px-Cycraft_Arcade.jpg

though i don't know if you can find these anywhere anymore
otherwise f-zero ax can actually be played through gx on gamecube

Last edited:

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
The Chuck E Cheese I used to live by had one of the Mario Kart games. It was my favorite game to play every time I went.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
f-zero gx is pretty neat if you play in on a deluxe cabinet. or better yet, a cycraft
711px-Cycraft_Arcade.jpg

though i don't know if you can find these anywhere anymore
otherwise f-zero ax can actually be played through gx on gamecube

Yeah I think you just need an action replay to access the AX content. I hope we one day get a GX/AX remaster for Switch

The Chuck E Cheese I used to live by had one of the Mario Kart games. It was my favorite game to play every time I went.

Yeah we have a golf bar near where I live that still has one of the MK arcade cabinets. My girlfriend loves it but I always find it too jarring to how I'm used to MK controlling

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
F-Zero was legit. I always thought Mario Kart was kind of crappy though, but I guess GC MK was also kinda lousy, just in a different way. Fight me

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I've played AX on a cab, only a few times but it was well worth it. The machines control a bit differently; controls are tailored to the arcade setup rather than a controller, after all. There's a timer, of course. The exclusive* courses are some of the best in the game, and the shorter ones add additional laps because 3 would go too quickly. You could save your progress to a magnetic card, similarly to Initial D 1-3. And if you brought a GameCube memory card with GX save data, you could use custom machines you designed at home. Absolutely worth playing.

* Unlock these on GX without access to an AX cab by completing all Grand Prixs on Master difficulty. It's tough for sure, but if you focus on killing the one guy leading in points, you can do it. I know this because I've done it myself. Completing all of the Story Mode missions on Very Hard to get all the AX pilots, on the other hand? That's impossible lol

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart and the Virtua Strike games are decent. I used to like a lot the pick and play nature of arcade soccer games.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Only f-Zero AX I ever had a chance to play was at Disney world's contemporary resort and it was amazing.

Mario kart was at a local theater and was also awesome.

Was there another game other than those two?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we get Tatsunoko vs Capcom out of it? I remember reading that as one of the reasons why the game was Nintendo exclusive.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
It was a wasted opportunity if you ask me, especially when at first Namco was making a Star Fox arcade game that was at the end Assault and that version was cancelled. Assault needed some cuts in order to work on an arcade enviroment if you ask me. Here in Chile we got Virtua Striker 2002 on a local arcade. It's fine.

Didn't we get Tatsunoko vs Capcom out of it? I remember reading that as one of the reasons why the game was Nintendo exclusive.

No, that was years later. The arcade version of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is almost an average Wii with a different case. The only reason why Tatsunoko vs. Capcom exist is because Capcom couldn't make a decent port of Street Fighter IV on Wii, so they wanted to compensate that.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember if I ever even saw any of those aside from Mario Kart GP, which I still see in barcades to this day (it's basically that and Daytona as the racing cabinets if there are any). I wish I had gotten to try AX, especially when I got better at GX

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to try one of the Mario Kart games at one point, and I think I remember it being alright?

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Only f-Zero AX I ever had a chance to play was at Disney world's contemporary resort and it was amazing.

Mario kart was at a local theater and was also awesome.

Was there another game other than those two?

There is a list in the OP of all the games, but yeah those seem to be the only notable ones

I'm also not sure if the two MK games are different games or if 2 is just a revision of 1

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i see a lot of the misinformation surrounding AX has already been posted. let me clear it up.

the content in AX is already in GX unlockable through normal means. while difficult, you don't need anything that isn't in the game already. beat GP mode in Master to get the AX cup and beat Story mode Very Hard to unlock the racers.

the infamous Action replay code has already been posted but what you get from that is not the real AX. all the code does is bring up an unused menu that was leftover from development and some leftover code for the timer. it doesn't let you use the actual AX physics that you'd get by playing on an actual AX machine and that's not just the physical controls from the machine. the game itself is a separate build that has many version differences over GX that aren't replicable with an action replay or any cheat code.

as a curiosity, it's worth playing the arcade machine but the game itself is just a cut down version of GX since it lacks any sort of unique content over GX outside the menus.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think you just need an action replay to access the AX content. I hope we one day get a GX/AX remaster for Switch
You don't need an action replay to access the AX content, you can just unlock it all by beating the story mode and the cups on the hardest difficulties.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically the two Mario Kart games are the only notable releases because AX was something you need to experience on an actual cabinet - and good luck ever finding one of those to play unless you want to travel to like, 2 places worldwide that still have one. AX's tracks and machines can be unlocked in GX, and the AR code can let you see experience the menus and timer, so all you are missing is the different physics which wouldn't be suited to a GC controller.

As for if those two MK games are actually good? Eh..... My prevailing memories of them are bad controls, tracks with as much depth as Baby Park, intense rubberbanding and an announcer that JUST. WON'T. SHUT. UP. The third game (DX) is decent, but that isn't on Triforce.