Compaq CQ58 261SA RAM upgrade advice?!

Beniebabom

So I have a Compaq CQ58 261SA which currently has the memory it came with, 4GB. I want to upgrade to 8GB of ram, but want to be sure what the exact type is that I need to buy for my specific laptop. Here is some information on the laptop I have thrown together:

Model: Compaq Cq58 - 261SA
Product number: C6J39EA
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU B830 @ 1.80GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.89 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics *I don't know if it's 2000 or 3000 or whatever

I opened up the laptop, and on the RAM stick already installed, it says:
"REPLACE WITH HP SPARE" and under that, a number above a bar code, which reads "CT:6BZLU08SA2YAF5"

I don't know how much of this is relevant information, but hopefully some is. If anyone can tell me the type of RAM I need to buy, or even better, a link to a website where I can buy the exact type, that would be great! Thanks for reading,
-Ben :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how much performance increase you'll get going from 4gb to 8gb because your main issue is your very low end cpu.

You can download and run cpuz and open the spd tab to see what speed and timings it has.

Beniebabom

I'm not sure how much performance increase you'll get going from 4gb to 8gb because your main issue is your very low end cpu.

You can download and run cpuz and open the spd tab to see what speed and timings it has.
Will do, thanks for the reply!

Beniebabom

So it wont be worth upgrading at all?

beers

Staff member
4 GB DDR3 SODIMMS are like, $20

If you are exhausting your memory capacity then you'll notice 'losing less' performance when multitasking. You'll get a slight performance benefit by having dual channel memory at that point, but largely you'll have the same experience with 1 application open as multiples.

If you're usually at 85% utilization in task manager then it should make a perceptible difference, but you won't get things like more FPS in games or faster calculations.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So it wont be worth upgrading at all?

I didn't say that. Just said I'm not sure how much better performance you'll get because of the low end processor. It may help some but probably not as much as your are hoping it will. Those low end celerons really bring performance down, was probably a sub $200 USD laptop when you bought it.

Darren

Staff member
If your usage isn't breaking 80% or so with RAM I'd say save your money. As stated, those Celerons are slooooww and the RAM upgrade won't save you from that.

If you ARE maxing out your current RAM then sure, go for it. RAM is cheap as hell and quite frankly holds its resale value somewhat.